Greatest running back of all time

rasczak

Lifer
Jan 29, 2005
I keep going back and forth between Walter and Barry. Two vastly different running styles. Although I think if Barry had played several more years, he would have definitely become the greatest all time.

If there's a player you'ld like to see on the list please post the name and I'll add it.

paulxcook

Diamond Member
May 1, 2005
Originally posted by: rasczak
I keep going back and forth between Walter and Barry. Two vastly different running styles. Although I think if Barry had played several more years, he would have definitely become the greatest all time.

If there's a player you'ld like to see on the list please post the name and I'll add it.

Me too. I settled on Payton because Barry didn't have the heart to keep playing. I think he may have gone on to be the best.

If Bo Jackson hadn't gotten hurt and hadn't played backup to Marcus Allen he could've been the greatest of all time.

Adrian Peterson may turn out to be the greatest of all time, but it is obviously way too soon to know.

Slick5150

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2001
1. Barry Sanders
2. Jim Brown
3. Walter Peyton

If you want to flip-flop #1 & #2 on there I'm fine with that.

And you have some pretty odd choices in your poll? Curtis Martin??? Jerome Bettis?? They're not even in the same league as the others.

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
Jim Brown without a doubt. As good as Sanders and Payton were, Brown had them outclassed.

rasczak

Lifer
Jan 29, 2005
He's a top ten running back as far as yardage goes. I had to add him. :) There a re a few others I have missed tho.

paulxcook

Diamond Member
May 1, 2005
Originally posted by: Tooncesthedrivingcat
Emmit Smith LOL....... I would have liked to have seen him play for the Lions.

He was good but had so many advantages that others (like Barry) didn't. And he played forever so of course he got the numbers.

Oct 11, 2007
Originally posted by: paulxcook

He was good but had so many advantages that others (like Barry) didn't. And he played forever so of course he got the numbers.

I agree, his offensive line was beastly.

rasczak

Lifer
Jan 29, 2005
Originally posted by: paulxcook

I have to agree about Emmitt on this one. I like Emmitt but I also think he's a product of a system.

xboxist

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2002

or imagine how many yards Barry would have ended up with if he played for Dallas.

Oct 11, 2007
Originally posted by: xboxist

or imagine how many yards Barry would have ended up with if he played for Dallas.

my pants get tight just thinking about it. Just kidding of course.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Running backs do not operate in a vacuum, so it's hard to measure how good a back really is. Emmit was the perfect back for that Dallas offense for all those years, but I don't consider him the best pure running back ever. Same for Ricky Waters in San Fran.

If you define "best" as the most electrifying and most fun to watch, then Barry wins hands down, it's not even a contest. If by best you mean "it's 4th and goal with the superbowl on the line, who do you want to hand the ball to", I'd take Jim Brown. If by best you mean "best all around, blocker, receiver and runner", then someone like Faulk or Tomlinson has to enter the picture......

Carbo

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2000
How could you leave Refrigerator Perry off the list? Invalidates the entire poll. Mods, lock this thread, please!

kranky

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I think it's Jim Brown. If he was playing today, in an environment where the passing game is so effective, he would be incredible. They couldn't stop him when everyone knew he was going to get the ball - imagine if defenses had to worry about the pass.

xboxist

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2002
Originally posted by: PokerGuy
Running backs do not operate in a vacuum, so it's hard to measure how good a back really is. Emmit was the perfect back for that Dallas offense for all those years, but I don't consider him the best pure running back ever. Same for Ricky Waters in San Fran.

If you define "best" as the most electrifying and most fun to watch, then Barry wins hands down, it's not even a contest. If by best you mean "it's 4th and goal with the superbowl on the line, who do you want to hand the ball to", I'd take Jim Brown. If by best you mean "best all around, blocker, receiver and runner", then someone like Faulk or Tomlinson has to enter the picture......

Well said.

Oct 11, 2007
Originally posted by: kranky
I think it's Jim Brown. If he was playing today, in an environment where the passing game is so effective, he would be incredible. They couldn't stop him when everyone knew he was going to get the ball - imagine if defenses had to worry about the pass.

I'm not sure how he would fair against todays defenses. Wish i could see it.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Originally posted by: kranky

I'm not sure how he would fair against todays defenses. Wish i could see it.

Also, he was larger than most of the lineman back then too.