Greatest NFL head coach ever......

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

rise

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2004
gibbs has been head coach for what, 25 years or so? 3 championships. belichick has won 3 in 10 years (including the cleveland experiment)?

James3shin

Diamond Member
Apr 5, 2004
If you're gonna mention the Tuna rise, then you have to put Gibbs in as well. Recent outcomes, where Wash. has played Dallas prove that.

eits

Lifer
Jun 4, 2005
www.integratedssr.com
gibbs has been the skins head coach for like 14 years total. gibbs won 3 super bowls in 12 years with THREE DIFFERENT QUARTERBACKS. belichick won 3 with the same damn guy.

plus, gibbs is already in the pro football hall of fame as one of the winningest coaches in football.

rise

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2004
Originally posted by: eits
gibbs has been the skins head coach for like 14 years total. gibbs won 3 super bowls in 12 years with THREE DIFFERENT QUARTERBACKS. belichick won 3 with the same damn guy.

plus, gibbs is already in the pro football hall of fame as one of the winningest coaches in football.

who the hell cares how many different QB's he used or how many belichick used? that makes no sense at all. :confused:

rise

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2004
Originally posted by: James3shin
If you're gonna mention the Tuna rise, then you have to put Gibbs in as well. Recent outcomes, where Wash. has played Dallas prove that.

damn straight.

i already said i can't discount what gibbs did but imo, tuna is a better coach.

eits

Lifer
Jun 4, 2005
www.integratedssr.com
Originally posted by: rise

who the hell cares how many different QB's he used or how many belichick used? that makes no sense at all. :confused:

how does that not make sense? you think all qbs are the same? you think they all have the same styles of play?

if you don't think that winning three super bowls in 12 years with different qbs is harder than winning three super bowls in 10 years, you really should gtfo of your own thread.

eits

Lifer
Jun 4, 2005
www.integratedssr.com
Originally posted by: James3shin

damn straight.

i already said i can't discount what gibbs did but imo, tuna is a better coach.

well, the football hall of fame disagrees with you... i'd be more inclined to heed the opinion of people who know what they're talking about than someone who thinks that there's no difference between winning 3 super bowls with 3 different qbs than winning 3 super bowls with the same qb.

by the way, i bring up the football hall of fame because HE'S NOT IN IT!

rise

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2004
yeah, if hall of fames in any sport were a measuring stick of greatness than we'd all be saluting people like, oh lets see eric dickerson. how many titles did he win?

j00fek

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2005

ditto. how about winning the SB with no ones on the team and a bunch of 2nd stringers from free agency that he played?

eits

Lifer
Jun 4, 2005
www.integratedssr.com
yeah, if hall of fames in any sport were a measuring stick of greatness than we'd all be saluting people like, oh lets see eric dickerson. how many titles did he win?

dickerson was a player, not a team or coach. players get in the hall of fame by setting records.

gibbs' coaching record, by the way, is 157-82-0

parcells' coaching record, by the way, is 163-123-1

oh, by the way, gibbs came out of football coaching retirement after doing the whole nascar thing (where his team won a championship) to coach again... and turned the skins into a team with a winning record again... he even brought them to the playoffs!

j00fek

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2005

dickerson was a player, not a team or coach. players get in the hall of fame by setting records.

oh, by the way, gibbs came out of football coaching retirement after doing the whole nascar thing (where his team won a championship) to coach again... and turned the skins into a team with a winning record again... he even brought them to the playoffs!

not the SB tho ;)

eits

Lifer
Jun 4, 2005
www.integratedssr.com
Originally posted by: j00fek

not the SB tho ;)

all in due time...

rise

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2004
yeah, in the powerhouse that is the nfc east, lol.

i only brought up the hall of fame mebers because you bandy it about like its some great accomplishment. the hall of fame in any sort is a joke, unfortunately.
Bill Walsh.
good call.

rise

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2004
not the SB tho ;)
aye, people keep missing this minor note. its the big games that count. hell, what was schottenheimers record :p

James3shin

Diamond Member
Apr 5, 2004
NFC East is going to be one of the toughest, if not the toughest divisions this coming season.

eits

Lifer
Jun 4, 2005
www.integratedssr.com

i only brought up the hall of fame mebers because you bandy it about like its some great accomplishment. the hall of fame in any sort is a joke, unfortunately.
Bill Walsh.
good call.

wow... i'm somewhat ashamed that you're the op of this thread...

rise

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2004

Bill Walsh.
good call.

wow... i'm somewhat ashamed that you're the op of this thread...
LMAO, yeah, i'm kinda sorry i started it after seeing your replies.

eits

Lifer
Jun 4, 2005
www.integratedssr.com
not the SB tho ;)
aye, people keep missing this minor note. its the big games that count. hell, what was schottenheimers record :p

191-136-1... whooptie doo. he sucks just as much as tuna.

the top 3 coaching records:

1 - lombardi
2 - madden
3 - gibbs

but, out of those three, the coach who's done the most in football is gibbs.

rise

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2004
since you're so fond of the copy/paste, here ya go-
Bill Belichick is in his 32nd season as an NFL coach and is the only head coach in league history to win three Super Bowl championships in a four-year span. Coach Belichick's Patriots teams own all of the major winning streaks in NFL history: consecutive overall wins (21 from 2003-04), consecutive regular season wins (18 from 2003-04), and consecutive playoff wins (10 from 2001-05).

eits

Lifer
Jun 4, 2005
www.integratedssr.com
he had the same damn team each time, though. if he lost brady, he'd be nothing. that's the point. the team didn't change much at all... they worked so well together that whenever a key player isn't on the line-up anymore, they started sucking (i.e. whenever bruschi wasn't on the roster).

it's kinda like claiming to be the best soccer player in the school, but you can't play worth a damn if you don't play with the same ball you always played with.

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
If you can't understand why it's important that Gibbs won 3 super bowls with 3 different QB's.....you need to just quit watching Football right now.

Belichick is a great coach, but winning 3 with the same team, not to mention same QB, is totally different than winning 3 Super Bowls with 3 different QB's.

Plus you reek of Pats fanboyism. Everything that someone says, you automatically start talking about how Belichick did this, Belichick did that. Discounting what other coaches did.

Marv Levy was another great coach. Four consecutive Super Bowls and conference championships. He also won two CFL Championships as head coach of Montreal.

Obviously not the greatest because his teams wouldn't win the big one, but he was a great coach.