greatest gadget developed in the past 5 years?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Flyermax2k3

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2003
Originally posted by: PowerMac4Ever
The AMD Athlon was great in that it provided good competition to Intel, which ended the days of $800 CPUs.

I remember when the Pentium II w/100MHz FSB was brand new and the 400MHz version cost over $1000 brand new :) Being the tech junkie I am, I, of course, had to have one immediately ;) I had the best computer ever for several months. Nothing could touch that $3500 Dell system (don't knock it, it wasn't my money anyway) for quite some time. Of course, the system I have now makes that thing look antiquated but nostalgia's great.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
It would be close to the last 5 years...but the Celeron 300a was an EXCELLENT product. $800 worth of performance for $150.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Originally posted by: TommyVercetti
Originally posted by: ultimatebob
Oh, that's easy. 802.11x Wireless networking, for sure!

I use wireless all the time at home and at work, and love the freedom that it gives me to take my network connection with me whereever I am. I'm starting to pity those folks who are still chained to their desks with desktop computers and ethernet cables, because you really don't know what you're missing!

What were wireless options before 802.11x?

Yep. The devices were slow (around 1mb/s, if I remember right) and some of the equipment made by different networking companies weren't compatible with each other. 802.11b fixed all that, and created a reasonably quick networking standard for everyone to follow.

dexvx

Diamond Member
Feb 2, 2000
Originally posted by: PowerMac4Ever
The AMD Athlon was great in that it provided good competition to Intel, which ended the days of $800 CPUs.

You mean like the Athlon "Magnolia" 1Ghz CPU that cost $1399 at launch?

Drakkon

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2001
Fleshlight
LMAO...yep the girls phase us out with the dildo...we shall phase them out with the fleshlight...
Its a toss up between that and the forman grill though for me...just dont get em confused...that could hurt...

Aug 16, 2001
Originally posted by: Flyermax2k3
I'm surprised that on a forum such as this no one has seconded my nominations... I assume most everyone here has at least some amount of nerd in them.

The Athlon and Radeon AIW are no gadgets per definition.