great - win 8 won't install updates

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by tommo123, Nov 22, 2012.

1. tommo123

tommo123 Platinum Member

keeps on 0% downloading updates from the 11th or so repeatedly.

after 15 mins it managed to install the win defender update (which i have to do manually btw - won't do itself in spite of the fact that it's set to download and install automatically).

good lord what a piece of crap! i guess i'll be riding windows 8 bareback o_O

Moved to Operating Systems, since it's an OS topic :thumbsup:
    AnandTech Moderator mechBgon

#1 tommo123, Nov 22, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 22, 2012
  2. Ken g6

Ken g6 Programming Moderator, Elite Member

3. tommo123

tommo123 Platinum Member

that just says "Use your Start menu to check for updates"

i installed one of them (also took ages) so maybe one can't be installed for some reason?

havent reboot yet and wont for another week so will try the next download at that point

4. destrekor

destrekor Lifer

Why do you have to wait a week to reboot?

5. tommo123

tommo123 Platinum Member

because i use my PC a lot and leave stuff running i don't want to interrupt (encoding stuff).

6. destrekor

destrekor Lifer

There's not less than two minutes where you aren't actively encoding anything or other intensive work, and instead are just browsing the web?

The next break between encode jobs, if that's what it comes to. It's hardly an inconvenience, honestly. I can understand not interrupting a job or other task that takes a long time to complete, but in-between? You don't have encoding jobs scheduled back to back for infinity, do you? If you manually start them, the next time, do it.

And updates and stuff are ideally performed when nothing is going on in the background.

7. tommo123

tommo123 Platinum Member

only thing going on in the background is video encoding - nothign to do with system files. this was all fine in vista and win7 so shouldn't be an issue with win 8 either.

my encodes are fairly long. a min of 7 hours or so and some take a few days. stupid HD cam records interlaced. deinterlacing properly takes a while which adds to the time and i have 26 left to do (my laptops doing some too).

it wouldn't be an issue if this thing hadn't bugged out on me already. i'll install them, just in the future. the problem isnt whether i have 2 minutes. it's rebooting, installing another single update, reboot, install another update, reboot to clear this backlog since if i let windows try to install them all at once - it doesn't do a thing. that's gonna take a while.

8. destrekor

destrekor Lifer

The idea is it'll take two minutes to figure it out, not two minutes to get up to date.

As in, in two minutes, you will know if you have bigger problems that need addressed, or if a simple reboot will solve the issue.

You can cancel in-progress updates, so reboot, see if things start to look better, then figure out when you will actually take care of the updates (or address a larger problem, probably through support channels).

Reboots after updates in Win8 are actually far less common. I've gone through a few updates and it never asked to reboot. I think I've only had one or two instances when I had to reboot thus far.

9. tommo123

tommo123 Platinum Member

each update i have waiting appears to need a reboot after. so i'll have to reboot each time as it takes longer to wait and see if it can do all in one go. i went through the updates upto the 11th or whenever and each block had at least 1 that needed a reboot as i had to restart to complete

10. thedominator007

thedominator007 Junior Member

It might be because you have a slow internet connection?

11. tommo123

tommo123 Platinum Member

can download at 2MB/sec so that's not it. my laptops also got them fine so somethings up with this one. won't be an issue much longer as i'm replacing the PC.

now need to figure out how to get win8 upgrade as a fresh install!