Great news for me at work today

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Ok.. so i've been working with my company for 4 months now... making decent wages for a 19 year old... and i've been wanting to ask for a raise... but im planning on going to school in the fall... so i finally talked to my boss today..

she was like.. "i definitly want to give you a raise" "i definitly want to hire you on your school offtimes" and "we can probably arrange for some part time work from your school with remote programming or support"

haha! looks like a got a good job locked for 5 mths a year for the next 4 years through school... and maybe very good part time work too for the other 7 months... plus a job to hold on to till i find somethin exactly in the field i want...

btw.. my company is rapidly growing right now no matter what the economy is like.. with absolutely no signs of slowdown at all

GermyBoy

Banned
Jun 5, 2001
Sounds good. I figured that you were fired and were being sarcastic, as today is Friday and all. Seems like you're a good employee.

Peace,
GermyBoy

sheselectric

Golden Member
Mar 6, 2002
Originally posted by: GermyBoy
Sounds good. I figured that you were fired and were being sarcastic, as today is Friday and all. Seems like you're a good employee.

thought the same thing :) good for you though!

RGN

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2000
Sounds like the situation I had with my employer. They hired me full time last week. :D

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
well.. i'll be stepping down from my full time job.. to just part time while i go to school... then back to full time when schools out during breaks..

Ameesh

Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: bob970
Ok.. so i've been working with my company for 4 months now... making decent wages for a 19 year old... and i've been wanting to ask for a raise... but im planning on going to school in the fall... so i finally talked to my boss today..

she was like.. "i definitly want to give you a raise" "i definitly want to hire you on your school offtimes" and "we can probably arrange for some part time work from your school with remote programming or support"

haha! looks like a got a good job locked for 5 mths a year for the next 4 years through school... and maybe very good part time work too for the other 7 months... plus a job to hold on to till i find somethin exactly in the field i want...

btw.. my company is rapidly growing right now no matter what the economy is like.. with absolutely no signs of slowdown at all

i dont want to piss in your soup but you really should try to mix up your jobs during college, you'll get much more experience, and oppotunity to work in many differnt atmospheres. Plus it will look a lot better on your resume.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Im gonna have to disagree with ya there Ameesh.. 5 solid years with "retail data systems" which is a very diversified job.. i do a lot of stuff that i could put on my resume from this job alone..

Wiring, cabling, ending, installs, hardware installs, POS (point of sale) programming, installation, and live and phone support, training of managers and cashiers. Touch screen and regular keyboard programming.

Then theres the pc side... networking, building, repair, upgrading, maintaining, remote access administration and support, along with SQL databases and proprietary programming systems.

And those are just some of the skills from the job alone. Not to mention getting a computer science degree and whatever skills that brings along with it..

Ih8canada

Jan 21, 2002
ameesh you seem like a tool let me get this straight....

Kid graduates college has 6 places he has worked at varying in degree of diffuculty....you are trying to tell me they will hire the kid that worked at Subway, McDonald's Mervyn's Engineering Firm Data Entry and Line Worker in a factory.. or the kid that worked 4 years in a Operations or Tech Support role...LOL give me a break and get a clue...

bob ignore the morons listen to me.

~ameeshisatool

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Originally posted by: Ih8canada

Kid graduates college has 6 places he has worked at varying in degree of diffuculty....you are trying to tell me they will hire the kid that worked at Subway, McDonald's Mervyn's Engineering Firm Data Entry and Line Worker in a factory.. or the kid that worked 4 years in a Operations or Tech Support role...LOL give me a break and get a clue...

~ameeshisatool

lol

wyvrn

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000

~ameeshisatool

lol

:D Somebody has scoreboard.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
Congrats on the good news.

I had great news from work this Tues - Fri because I was OFF sitting on my lazy ass at home surfing ATOT!

<--- going back on Monday :(

Ameesh

Lifer
Apr 3, 2001

~ameeshisatool

im not saying he should work at mcdonalnds and subway.

if you are getting a degree in computer science, you should be doing internships during your summers and defintly not all at the same place:

there are many companies out there that have internship programs like : Sun, IBM, Microsoft, Intel, AMD, Oracle, CA, NCR, Raytheon, Interplay, EA, Valve, Accenture, Deeliote and Touche, Cap Gemini Ernst Young, etc. to mention a few big ones, there are also many small and medium size companies you could try and goto. i gaurentee if you have those kind of work experiences during college you will have no problem finding a job when you get out of college.

If your getting a degree in computer science why the hell would you want to do tech support the rest of your life? And if you your try different types of jobs you'll have a better idea of what you want to do for a career. Maybe you like working for miltary contractors, or maybe a consulting firm, or a software house or a hardware house.

sticking to one job is an extremly poor choice imo.

Ih8canada until you get a little more ambition or even experience in your life you probably shouldnt hand out advice.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
im not just tech support.. thats part of my job.. i do installs, upgrades, programming, support, and training... vast enough for now

Ameesh

Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
im not just tech support.. thats part of my job.. i do installs, upgrades, programming, support, and training... vast enough for now

think big man! good enough usually never is.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
well.. lets just say that suddenly i went from dropped out of school with no job and no formal education... to being better off then just about every one of my friends with no parental help.. and with a fine future ahead of me..... at least the next few years

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Ameesh...you have no freaking clue how cool of stuff RDS can do. Bob can take his experience with RDS, go self employed, and easily, EASILY make $100 an hour.

Can you?

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
BTW bob...wanna send me a freebee Panasonic 7800? wink...wink...nudge...nudge ;)

:D

Oh...and congrats! It's a very interesting market to be in.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Originally posted by: vi_edit
BTW bob...wanna send me a freebee Panasonic 7800? wink...wink...nudge...nudge ;)

:D

Oh...and congrats! It's a very interesting market to be in.

hahaha... no.. i dont... altho.. i just installed a 7800 system 3 days ago and have been spendin a few hours a day at a kfc-taco bell in downtown chicago :D

workin perfectly too :D

Ih8canada

Jan 21, 2002
I am a systems admin.....i have been in IT since I was 16.....I am 21 now. I have been around long enough to know that employers like to see loyalty especially in younger folks like myself. That way you described sounds antiquated and out of date. I moved up the ladder and am where I am now. You say think big...why cant he think big about being with the same company for a long time?

~again DONT listen to ameesh.