Great games / Game stories

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
I'm a bit shallow about game story lines, at least in comparison to the intellectually driven needs some of you express.

I get invested in my character fairly readily, it isn't him/her/it anymore, its me, and as Jack Burton always says at a time like this "Son of Bitch must pay."

Gears of War has me utterly intrigued: What the hell was Marcus's trial all about anyways? Why do the Locust have to have our world? Are they some ancient earth species that has been laying dormant as the name locust could suggest? If they came in spacecraft from elsewhere, why not wipe out the hammer of dawn network, after all it is a major PITA to them. Did they come here long ago, and their ships are now useless, and/or they lack the technical ability to rebuild them? What is the emulsion, a power source? It is referenced as juice, and being precious, so I presume that is the answer. Is it manufactured or secreted by one of the types of locusts? I should probably sit through all the cut scenes again when I get my 360 back from repairs, and see if I missed some of the answers.

Resistance is a good mystery so far too, really looking forward to seeing how the story develops, and if the next installment finds Hale used against his will for experimentation, to try to make more "super soldiers" like him. I suspect that is why he was toying with the idea of using the grenade at the end, because he knew they were going to make his life a living hell as a lab rat.

Anyways, it isn't difficult to get me to suspend disbelief and enjoy the ride. I truly feel pity for all of you that have posted about being bored with vid games lately, because I'm as excited as a puppy with two peters. :p

bamacre

Lifer
Jul 1, 2004
Originally posted by: Oyeve
Originally posted by: bamacre
Originally posted by: theprodigalrebel
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas - kickass game that the Mike Toreno character takes to a whole other level. :thumbsup:

Yup, James Woods and Samuel Jackson took the rolls of great characters, and did a good job with them, too.

There were a lot of good characters in the game, even OG Loc was hilarious. "I'm gangster!" :laugh:

The gameplay was great, and after playing through the game a couple of times, I did enjoy the exceptionally huge area. I know some complained it was too big, but it allowed you to figure out ways of getting around quicker, i.e., using planes and helicopters, hitting the highways, or even driving on the train tracks.

There were a lot of great missions, too. Some pretty challenging, but none so much that I dreaded. I also liked the fact that many missions allowed you to complete them in different ways.

I don't think there are many games that I would consider as fun as the GTA series. Other games may have better stories, better graphics, and whatnot, but as far as pure fun goes, GTA is way up there.

I play this game (PC version) pretty much everyday. Great stress reliever and fun to boot! So much to do even after the main game is over. I have hit 99% completion and am still aiming for 100%! :)

PC versions here too, I don't even own a console.

The ONLY thing bad about GTA games is waiting for them to hit the PC. ;)

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Originally posted by: bamacre

PC versions here too, I don't even own a console.

The ONLY thing bad about GTA games is waiting for them to hit the PC. ;)

I hear ya! No word on GTA:4 for PC.:(

jjones

Lifer
Oct 9, 2001
Originally posted by: DAPUNISHER
I truly feel pity for all of you that have posted about being bored with vid games lately, because I'm as excited as a puppy with two peters. :p
:D

Honestly, I wish I could say the same. I've been trying to play other games, the most recent being Quake 4 (barely finished) and FEAR (gave up due to boredom), but I keep going back to UT2004 for my gaming fun.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Originally posted by: jjones
Originally posted by: DAPUNISHER
I truly feel pity for all of you that have posted about being bored with vid games lately, because I'm as excited as a puppy with two peters. :p
:D

Honestly, I wish I could say the same. I've been trying to play other games, the most recent being Quake 4 (barely finished) and FEAR (gave up due to boredom), but I keep going back to UT2004 for my gaming fun.
Q4 SP was OK for what I call the gamer berserker mode, you just load for bear, and get ready to go postal on the Strog. FEAR SP sucked IMO, never understood the attraction of that game. Prey was much better than both AFAIC. But the console is where I have found the most entertainment the last year or so, God of War, Gears, Resistance, all more enjoyable than anything I've played on PC in that time. HL2 EP:2, Gears for PC *more chapters and boss fights, so it may answer some questions*, and Crysis are going to make for a strong PC gaming come back for me though. :)

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Honestly, one of the best storylines of any game is Metal Gear Solid......so many damn twists and turns......damn that story made you say WTF

EvilComputer92

Golden Member
Aug 25, 2004

Deus Ex I think is still the best because of it's presentation, which is unlike anything offered in any other game with it's amount of detail.

I loved Freespace 1's story as well, excellent sci fi.

Command and Conquer had an interesting story with a very unique cast of characters, also it was great how everything was live action.