Great deal on AFREEY DVD DD-4010E 10X32 IDE!

Sepen

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I was considering this myself. Does anyone have any links to a review of this unit, or first hand experience?

Also, who does make Afreey?

Sam

jhm40

Feb 26, 2000
I don't remember the link but I have read one review about the drive. It was very favorable review. It also said the drive runs very quietly and well built.

ISH

Oct 9, 1999
Or you can go to pricewatch and find the drive for $91.00. This volumebuy ain't that hot of a deal at all...

You can also find the Pioneer 16X DVD-ROM drive for $108 on pricewatch... I think that is what I am going to be buying for myself. Hummm Afreey 10x or Pioneer 16x... I think the choice is clear...

MiniDrag

Banned
Jul 23, 2000
The Afreey brand is a lower end one. I've stopped selling them due to the high DOA ratio I was getting from my distributor. They don't cost much, which is good. But this is one of those cases where you get where you pay for.

Example - 50x Afreey drive tested out at 36x. Mitsumi 48x tested out at 48x. The Mitsumi drive does cost more though.

Also, I have never tried their DVDs - maybe they are different...

Just my 2¢.

dude

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 1999
BTW, the Afreey 10x DVD drive is the same thing as a Pioneer, just with a different label.

example: Acer and Smart & Friendly dvd drives.

diablonhn

Nov 15, 1999
hmmmm....48x mitsumi testing out at 48x? DO YOU KNOW WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?!???! NO CD drives meet their specifications...well except some TrueX drives...Afreey makes one of the fastest drives out there...ever tried to install Diablo 2 on an Afreey and then on a Mitsumi??? FULL INSTALLATION?!? WHO WILL WIN!

Kwad Guy

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 1999
The Plextor SCSI 40X CD-ROM actually EXCEEDS the rated speed
at the outer edge of the disc. (Note stated speeds are normally
for the fastest rate, not the average rate or the starting (slowest)
rate).

There are many facets to the question of who makes the fastest
CD-ROM (DVD-ROM). Is it fastest for data discs? For audio discs?
Is the extraction quality "perfect". The best drives have to
excell in all these catagories. Only a very few do.

Kwad

Kwad Guy

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 1999
Diablonhn:

Why don't YOU actually pay any attention to the data contained
in the links you provide.

Here's the link for the Plextor 40X PX-40TS.

Note the extraction speeds at the outer edge (large Mb) of the
disc. Note how the graph goes well beyond the 40X that the
drive is rated. Note that rating on all these drives is based
on MAXIMUM extraction speed. Get off your high horse and get back to us after you do.

Thanks,

Kwad

http://www.cdspeed2000.com/go.php3?link=details.php3&Type=CD&Brand=Plextor&Model=PX-40

randypj

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
Gotta go with diablonhn on this. The figures "as posted on CDSpeed2000" bear this out.

But, I'll stick with my brand of choice.

BTW, even though this may be heretical, I installed and benchmarked a Toshiba 32X EIDE against my Plex32X and it almost beat it. Plex's can be beat....and not just by TrueX.
--Randy

MiniDrag

Banned
Jul 23, 2000
Indeed it is amazing how many people don't understand the difference between sustained read and burst read. Drives are rated by the highest possible burst read they can hit (except the true speeds of course) and in my experience the afreey's aren't as good as others.

I stopped selling them over a year ago, so maybe something has changed - perhaps they are being made by someone else now and are more reliable. But I did have one in the shop a couple of months ago, and the test results I got are as I said before.

In any case, my real problem with them is the high percentage of failure right out of the box, and within 12 months.

victor

Dec 21, 1999
i got one afreey dvd 10x32 and its good no prob so far :D
however i got it for 75 CAD
:p
vic

randypj

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
MiniDrag--a year or so ago, I looked into selling these drives. I was thinking they either mfg. their own drives, or at least make it seem that they do.

I sort of seem to remember finding them as the mfg. of some Hi-Val drives, when I was opening Hi-Val boxes at CompScrewUSA, to see who made them (I wanted a specific mfg/model).

http://www.afreey.com.tw/product.html
--Randy

diablonhn

Nov 15, 1999
all I can say is *sigh*...you're rooting for the plextor just because it's faster than its rated speed? oh my oh my...most cd drives exceeds their rated speed...look at the pioneer! wow it exceeds the specifications by a larger margin!

"Diablonhn:

Why don't YOU actually pay any attention to the data contained
in the links you provide.

Here's the link for the Plextor 40X PX-40TS.

Note the extraction speeds at the outer edge (large Mb) of the
disc. Note how the graph goes well beyond the 40X that the
drive is rated. Note that rating on all these drives is based
on MAXIMUM extraction speed. Get off your high horse and get back to us after you do.

Thanks,

Kwad

http://www.cdspeed2000.com/go.php3?...pe=CD&Brand=Plextor&Model=PX-40"

AndrewR

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Afreey drives are pretty good actually. I used one awhile back, and it was very nice for the price I paid. As is mentioned, they are AWESOME for DAE, and I believe the 50x Afreey is currently the fastest drive for DAE on the market.

As for Plextor, there really is no comparison -- Plextor makes the finest CD-ROM drives of anyone and simply cannot be matched for reputation and reliability, and performance is far from shabby. I can say with easy confidence that the Plextor 40X PX-40TS is the best CD-ROM I have ever used and one of the quietest, too. Combined with my Plextor 8x20x CD-R, I can copy any CD in existence. :) Plus, Plextor bundles some neat utilities with its drives such as the ability to adjust the spindown time which is a rather useful feature sometimes.