GoingUp

Lifer
Jul 31, 2002
Hit the nail right on the head....

http://www.madison.com/wisconsinstatejournal/opinion/47730.php

'Censored' celebs: The naked truth
11:26 PM 4/27/03

Let's state this one more time for the record (or CD, as the case may be):

What the Dixie Chicks have to say about U.S. foreign policy is of monumental unimportance. Likewise for actors like Tim Robbins, Susan Sarandon, and Martin Sheen & Sons. The same goes for Charlton Heston and Arnold Schwarzenegger.

That the geopolitical views of a country-and-western singer have any relevance is about as likely as presidential advisor Richard Perle hitting the charts with "Drop Kick Me, Jesus, Through the Goalposts of Life." In other words: Not.

And enough, already, with the anti-war crowd's complaint that Natalie Maines & Co. are being censored for opposing the war. Actor Robbins had the effrontery to make the claim that he was being censored because he was uninvited the Baseball Hall of Fame - in a speech to the National Press Club. Since when does being invited to speak to the national press constitute censorship? And since when, in the case of the Dixie Chicks, does censorship mean you get a magazine cover story and an over-hyped special on network TV? We bet there are thousands of unknown actors and singers out there lamenting "Oh man, I wish I'd get censored too, so I could get some of that free publicity!"

Censorship is when the government tells you that you can't say something. That's what the First Amendment guards against. It does not protect celebrities - or anyone else - from the consequences of saying something. Joe Six-Pack may have a constitutional right to call his boss an idiot, but he shouldn't be surprised if he subsequently loses his job. Likewise, celebrities who speak out against a war that's supported by a majority of Americans shouldn't be stunned if they lose favor with a certain percentage of the population.

Frankly, the whole "censored celebrities" issue reminds us of the words of Warner Brothers studios founder Harry M. Warner, who said in 1927, "Who the hell wants to hear actors talk?"

Indeed. Actors who want to talk politics should get off the soundstage and onto the stump. After all, not every actor makes a bad politician: We had an actor as president once, and he did a pretty good job.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I think that what actors have to say on political issues is every bit as cogent as what politicians say about them and certainly as relevant as the article.

NightTrain

Platinum Member
Apr 1, 2001
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
I think that what actors have to say on political issues is every bit as cogent as what politicians say about them

I don't. Uninformed blowhards cannot impact my life...politicians can.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
I think that what actors have to say on political issues is every bit as cogent as what politicians say about them and certainly as relevant as the article.

Nope, being a celebrity doesn't make your opinion any more important than that of any other Joe Sixpack out there. The difference is no one gives me a podium to spout off to the nation.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nope, being a celebrity doesn't make your opinion any more important than that of any other Joe Sixpack out there. The difference is no one gives me a podium to spout off to the nation.
--------------------
------------------
Why say 'nope' when you agree.