Question Gray Uniformity Decent?

undertaker101

Banned
Apr 9, 2006
Need some objective/subjective opinions here. Background:
1. Had a very uniform U3818DW that I sold few months back to make room for a 48CX, unfortunately the OLED developed a few dead pixels right after I sold my Dell so I got another U3818DW on sale that had great gray uniformity but more BLB than the first.
2. Fast forward a few months and the somewhat apparent trailing artifacts, 60 HZ, no adaptive sync, HDR etc. started bugging me again. Tried a 38GN950 but uniformity was lacking HDR was lack luster so back it went, then got an Acer 382 which seemed and arguably still is great but still had a slight pinkish hue and color temp gradation from left to right that is now starting to bother me..on the bright side it does have Freesync so 55 fps in CP2077 is still acceptable unlike the Dell (which I sold again lol)...and is 75 Hz so is smoother in games that can maintain it on 3080 like Doom Eternal. Also tried the Dell AW3821DW but that has far too many problems like no sRGB, similar uniformity issues if a different pattern and no auto input switching either (going back)!
3. Here is a pic of my Acer with a pic designed to highlight this problem with with 15% gray fullscreen.
4. Am I being too picky here? The place I got the Acer from is OOS so will have to wait before I can try an exchange (no time limits though since it's a big warehouse chain).
5. Holding out some hope for the updated Dell U3821DW to come out soon. Don't think the 48 OLED will work given the size issues I experienced last time (was almost glad that I had to return it due to the dead pixels). I don't know what else to try at this point since I need decent sRGB and freesync in a 38" size ....
6. Why don't more places focus on gray uniformity of large screens? HDR don't do jack if regular workflow images are dirty...
Luckily haven't lost any money (but lots of time) in my quest since I played sales right...

Attachments

• 20201215_165530.jpg
    20201215_165530.jpg
    396 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

_Rick_

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2012
I think the main issue you have is that the people putting large emphasis on picture uniformity are almost completely separate from those looking for a smooth gaming experience.

Uniformity matters most in static content, where you can actually see the issues, while with moving images, it's much harder to spot the uniformity issues, as it's harder to get a reference.

Are your complaints actually borne out in-game, or is this just you staring at unrealistic test images too much? If it's really annoying you in-game, or browsing the web - absolutely check out other screens.
The 38"ers in general are really hard to manage, particularly if LED border-lit -- which has become the standard for most screens. And looking at my 4"-deep NEC, I get why :D

It might make sense for you to go with separate screens for gaming and work, at least until HFR/DFR becomes a feature for video editing, and thus more relevant in color-accurate use cases.

Reactions: Leeea

undertaker101

Banned
Apr 9, 2006
Apparent during gaming and multimedia use? No...During website use, sure depending on the background used but is very apparent on office apps that use slight gray background that exacerbate the issue...sad that there is not one 38" with some sort of adaptive sync and uniformity comp together. Separately sure...but not together. Since my set up is 38+2x27 on the side I cannot imagine adding another 38 into the mix.

undertaker101

Banned
Apr 9, 2006
Think I'll just have to stop being so particular about my displays, this unit has no BLB (some minor glow but that is IPS tech), a Delta E of 1.35 calibrated (though contrast is a little low at 820) and freesync/75 Hz which makes a huge difference while gaming...just need to keep telling my self the slight grayscale uni. issue is worth it over the 3818dw for all the above reasons because it had perfect grayscale uni. but none of the other things. Another pic using rting's gray uniformity image.

Attachments

• 20201217_144804.jpg
    20201217_144804.jpg
    656 KB · Views: 7
Last edited: