Graphics card upgrade

Outoftouch

Nov 3, 2013
Hi all. Found the forum via a well known search engine ;)

I'm looking for some pointers ref to changing my graphics card. I started looking in the online retailers and do a bit of research but i'm more confused than when I began.

My PC is self built, I am PC literate but out of touch with components and the GPU area is full of hundreds of options. I am lost. I dont have a budget as such, just need something appropriate for gaming. I was going to get Rome TW 2 but was put of by recommended specs.

PC as is:

Case - LARGE Alienware, full form
MB - Gigabyte X38 DS5
CPU - 3.0g Core 2 Duo ( I forget the model, not overclocked )
RAM - 3g DDR2 PC8500
GPU - GT8800
PSU - Corsair HX620
Runs XP Pro 32bit

1) I will add 1G ram at little cost, no problem.

2) Could go to a Qchip as there are a few about but is a Q at say 2.5ghz going to be noticably better than my 2 at 3.0ghz?

3) Recommend a gpu please !!!

Any more info needed, please ask.
Thanks in advance.

Outoftouch

Nov 3, 2013
Oh, PC runs fine and has done since I build it on early 2008. Just needs a refresh.

I don't play latest games so a new all singing system isn't needed. Just to get the most out of what I have now.

Outoftouch

Nov 3, 2013
After looking at the VoodooPower sticky I note a card I was looking at is at number 19, the Radeon 7870. Is this ok or too much?

iiiankiii

Apr 4, 2008
Your cpu is going to hold back that 7870 gpu. You won't be getting the most out of that 7870. If you can find an inexpensive quad core @ 3ghz, that will help. You can get a slower quad core and overclock it. ROME is heavily CPU limited. You need a strong cpu to push that game. I don't think any 775 cpu will do that.

AnonymouseUser

Diamond Member
May 14, 2003
Don't spend too much on the GPU, save up for a system upgrade. I'd recommend the HD 7790, especially at $80 after rebate.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127726

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
no point in spending more than 75-100 bucks tops on a gpu. really its time for a new pc if you want to play newer demanding games. a core 2 duo is not going to cut it and windows xp 32 bit is not either.

Last edited:

FalseChristian

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2002
My system is the minimum you want for today's games. My system is 6x as fast as yours and my PC sucks in comparison to most here on Anandtech.

monkeydelmagico

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2011
The MSI Radeon HD 7850 2GB for $110 after rebate seems like the best solution. Overall, it is time to start saving for a new PC.

+1

You could carry this GPU over into a new build. 7850 plays most modern games at moderate settings for 1080 resolution. Putting any money into a CPU or memory upgrades for your current rig is a waste. Save for upgrade.

Outoftouch

Nov 3, 2013
Thanks for the replies. A new build would be great but its not happening. Other things to deal with first. I'll check out some HD7850 prices here in UK. As long as it can perform better than the GT8800 without being a waste of gpu potential then thats what i'm after.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
If you can find a used Quad for cheap, might be worth it depending on price, but I would try to get a Q9550 or better. Also, be sure to check your board supports the chip! Might need a BIOS update.

With that said a 7850 or 7870 with win 7/8 x64 would be the best upgrade as far as video.

ryanuk86

Nov 4, 2013
Check out the prices for a GTX660, a very good GPU.

Also look at upgrading your OS to Win7 at 64bit and get 6GB of memory (if your motherboard can take it).

Total War: Rome II works great on my machine, one of my mates has it running on an old dual core machine. Doesn't look as good as it could, but is more than playable.

Good luck anyway, hope you find something to boost your PC for the next 6/9 months and get saving for a new rig!

Outoftouch

Nov 3, 2013
Also look at upgrading your OS to Win7 at 64bit and get 6GB of memory (if your motherboard can take it).

This is something i'd considered but dismissed. Thinking about it now it could be done fairly easily. Family member is in IT and gets OP systems on multi licence for nothing. This would allow me to go to 8g RAM.

antisober

Nov 4, 2013
Save your money and build a new rig. And definitely run a 64 bit OS on the old one. Give it to your kids (if you have any) or something.

OCNewbie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2000
Can get a new, boxed Q9550 in Europe for $375 or from States at $250 plus import duties.

Uhm, no..... Just save the money for a full upgrade

Save your money and build a new rig. And definitely run a 64 bit OS on the old one. Give it to your kids (if you have any) or something.

Totally agree with the above. Not worth the expense to invest in a nearly 6 year-old chip; especially that much expense.

TheGoat Eater

Golden Member
Mar 20, 2005
thegoateater.com
If you do decide to go for the gpu upgrade both of the mentioned MSI gpus would be a good purchase for performance at that pricepoint. I would be onboard with the others suggestion to save up for a new rig - or major overhaul.

Outoftouch

Nov 3, 2013
Again, replies and info greatly received. New system is not a consideration. I've no need for one. Haven't bought any software since TW Napoleon. Ref the quad core, unlikely to buy, posted cost merely for info. Think i'll get the bro in law to source me something 64bit and partition drive 3 to allow me to boot as is in XP or in 7/8 with the hd7850 or similar. Thanks all, good forum.