Graphics card or drivers problems probably

djeyewater

Apr 15, 2007
Sometimes my PC will become extremely unresponsive, and the System Process will go to 100% CPU. Often when this happens the screen will go blank for 30s or so (nothing output to the monitor, monitor goes into power saving mode) then comes back on. Sometimes the screen will go off and back on multiple times. Sometimes it will go off and not come back on again.

Sometimes the PC will bluescreen. I can't remember the exact driver the bluescreen gives as the problem, but I think it's something that indicates Nvidia.
Sometimes I can manage to shut the PC down okay.
When nothing is output to the monitor for more than a few minutes I don't really have any option other than holding down the power button to switch the PC off.

When starting the PC up again after this, my DVD drive is not detected. Sometimes it pauses for a minute or so at the IDE drive detection screen. (Drive is IDE, on a JMicron JMB36X controller as part of the mobo).

Motherboard is ASUS P5B Deluxe WiFi. 2x SSDs, 3x HDDs, Corsair 750 PSU. Graphics card is NVidia GT240. OS is Win 7, latest NVidia drivers installed.

I'm guessing the problem is some component failing on the graphics card or a graphics card driver problem. The thing about the DVD drive (only IDE drive I have) not being detected after the problem occurs is a bit weird though.

Any thoughts to help me narrow down the problem?

Thanks

Dave

Moved from Computer Help

mfenn
General Hardware Moderator

Last edited by a moderator:

inachu

Platinum Member
Aug 22, 2014
I've seen this happen when multiple security software was installed.
For instance installing 3rd party firewall and then installing mcafee antivirus that has its own firewall can slow a pc to a crawl.

Sometimes it does not have to be competing security software but a lone program that got an update was given a patch that does not like your OS.

It may very well be a hardware issue as well. You may need to resit your hardware.

During this process keep your DVD unplugged/unpowered.

djeyewater

Apr 15, 2007
Thanks for the suggestions.

The only 'security' software I have installed is MS Security Essentials, so there shouldn't be any conflict there.

I'll try reseating the Graphics card. I might as well disconnect and leave disconnected the DVD drive for a bit in case that is the problem, I rarely use it anyway.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Sounds like the video card is getting hot or dying. If you have minidumps from blue screens, an application like WhoCrashed may make it more clear.

To rule things out, you might want to replace the video cable.

Since the IDE is JMicron, you may want to make sure you have the latest drivers (I doubt that is it though), or it could just be a cheap chip getting a bit more contrary as it gets longer in the tooth.

djeyewater

Apr 15, 2007
Well, I reseated and dusted-off the graphics card. It didn't look that dusty to the eye but I managed to blow quite a bit of dust out of it. I also disconnected the DVD drive.

After doing this my second SSD drive stopped working properly, and I was unable to get it working again on the same SATA port / cable. Possibly a bad SATA port or bad SATA cable, but it's been working fine (or so I thought) on that port and cable for quite a while.

So far I haven't had any slow-downs. The graphics driver did crash once, but recovered and my PC didn't grind to a halt. I've had the DVD reconnected for a few days now and still no crashes.

So the problem was either the graphics card was too dusty and getting hot, or a dodgy SATA cable / port. (My 2nd SSD was set as the pagefile location, so it's conceivable that it not working properly could cause problems with Windows. The problem was not the actual drive, as it works fine in my SATA hotswap bay.)

inachu

Platinum Member
Aug 22, 2014
The cheap here to fix your pc is get new sata data wires.
Just maybe your pc case is a heat hogger. If your pc sits on the ground then its sucking up all the dust at the bottom of the floor.

If I was in your shoes I would just buy a new pc case for it that is made for cooling in mind. Maybe something similar to the ANTEC900.
I am sure similar cases are much cheaper today.

djeyewater

Apr 15, 2007
Yup, got a new SATA cable and no problems with that drive on the same SATA port now. I think the original problem probably was a separate thing with the graphics card overheating from being too dusty.

Thanks inachu and ketchup79 for the help.