Graphics card (GPU) for my Pentium D or CPU Upgrade

johnsmith7623

Jul 8, 2013
A while ago, I purchased a : Pentium D @ 2.80 Ghz, 2 Gigabytes DDR2 Ram, a P4M900-M7 FE mobo (with PCI-e), and a 450 watt power supply.

My question is what is the best graphics card out there that won't be bottlenecked by my processor? But I know my CPU sucks, so would it just be better to use the money I would have spent on the graphics card and buy a new CPU instead? I hope my current Cpu consist of 256 MB Gpu as in built!!!

If you answer my question, thanks!

n0x1ous

Platinum Member
Sep 9, 2010
Cpu first. Any modern gpu will be castrated by that Cpu. Of course this will entail a new motherboard and RAM but get yourself a solid platform foundation and then worry about a GPU

Techhog

Platinum Member
Sep 11, 2013
I agree with the above. I mean, really, the integrated graphics in a new CPU would also be a big GPU upgrade over whatever you have right now anyway, so You're upgrading both from the start either way and you'll get more out of whatever GPU you buy down the road.

FalseChristian

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2002
Get yourself a used Intel Core i5 2500K (Sandy Bridge) for $100 and overclock it to 4.5GHz easily. Make sure you use an Asus mobo like my Asus P8Z68-V/GEN3 which is an overclocker's mobo. Some may say get an i5 3670K or an i5 4670K but these chips don't overclock that well and aren't much faster than an i5 2500K and cost a lot more. My i5 2500K at 4.5GHz is still no bottleneck even for AMD's Radeon R9 290X XFire or NVidia's GTX 780 Ti SLI.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
An HD4000 thats built into any current Intel chip will be faster than any GPU from the era of that CPU.

Same goes for a current AMD APU. The built in graphics are far faster than any graphics card from the days of the Pentium D.

So with either choice you get a *WAY* faster CPU, and acceptable graphics for general use and light gaming. You can then always add a better GPU down the road.

blastingcap

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2010
A while ago, I purchased a : Pentium D @ 2.80 Ghz, 2 Gigabytes DDR2 Ram, a P4M900-M7 FE mobo (with PCI-e), and a 450 watt power supply.

My question is what is the best graphics card out there that won't be bottlenecked by my processor? But I know my CPU sucks, so would it just be better to use the money I would have spent on the graphics card and buy a new CPU instead? I hope my current Cpu consist of 256 MB Gpu as in built!!!

If you answer my question, thanks!

I have an old computer with that processor and RAM amount, though with 300W PSU. Are you trying to game on it or do you just want to browse the web? If the former, and you plan to play at reasonable detail levels at, say, 1080p, you will need a completely new system for most games made after 2007. If the latter, just get a HD 5450 or HD 6450 and call it a day.

johnsmith7623

Jul 8, 2013
What are you trying to do with this computer? What makes you want a dedicated GPU?

I tend to play games around 1440 x 900, the games are normally Fps games like Call of Duty series( World at War runs terrible on my system) and Rpg games like Fallout 3, Oblivion, ect. With the exception of Crysis, most of the games I play runs about 20-25 Frames per second. I'm not an "extreme gamer", but I'd like to run my games at a descent resolution and above the "low setting".

blastingcap

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2010
I tend to play games around 1440 x 900, the games are normally Fps games like Call of Duty series( World at War runs terrible on my system) and Rpg games like Fallout 3, Oblivion, ect. With the exception of Crysis, most of the games I play runs about 20-25 Frames per second. I'm not an "extreme gamer", but I'd like to run my games at a descent resolution and above the "low setting".

I think it's time you did a complete overhaul of your system, then. Unless you can get a great deal on a compatible CPU (make sure your mobo can support it, you may need to BIOS upgrade), don't even bother with upgrading the CPU as that is sinking money into a dead socket using a dead memory standard. Even if you upgraded your graphics and stayed at that resolution or lower, your CPU is so weak that it will bottleneck you for a lot of games. Fallout 3 for instance, that game will max out your CPU.

If you want to do an overhaul, the folks in General Hardware forum can help.

Last edited:

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011

Definitely replace the CPU and motherboard.

On 1440 x 900, the latest integrated graphics will run your games pretty well. I would recommend that you get a Haswell Core i5 (something like an i5-4570). That will have plenty of CPU power to keep you going for years, and the integrated HD 4600 graphics will keep you going until you can get a new graphics card.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
If you want to play games, your current PC is terribad. Time for a "forklift upgrade". Toss it all out and start over. (well, you might be able to re-use the case.)

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
Ditto on what everyone else has said. Oblivion and FO3 can eat up a CPU several times the performance of yours. Upgrade, and get F:NV and Skyrim right after :).

What kind of budget would you be able to come up with?

Blue_Max

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2011
Heck, this is a good candidate for an APU! If you really want to keep things simple and as cheap as possible, an AMD APU, mobo and DDR3 would be one of the cheapest routes to some decent performance. Spending a tiny bit more could net a 4-core FM2 (750k?) and video card.

Golden Member
Jun 10, 2007
I don't care how much people flame me for this suggestion, but I think you should start with a 4670k and add a GPU whenever you get the money.

I'd wager that the iGPU on the 4670k is plenty for someone used to an terribad old timey northbridge GPU.

This way you will not have to upgrade the CPU for at least 5 years for basically any reason.

Think of it as an investment.

aaksheytalwar

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2012
To run modern games you need at least a core i5 pref 2500k. At least 6-8gig ram. And a radeon 7900 or geforce 670/760 grade gpu. Else it isn't worth it.

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
I don't care how much people flame me for this suggestion, but I think you should start with a 4670k and add a GPU whenever you get the money.

I'd wager that the iGPU on the 4670k is plenty for someone used to an terribad old timey northbridge GPU.

This way you will not have to upgrade the CPU for at least 5 years for basically any reason.

I agree entirely. Sounds like this user likes to get value for money out of his systems, and isn't afraid to add in upgrades. A system with an i5 CPU will stick around for a long time. GPUs can easily be upgraded later.

Techhog

Platinum Member
Sep 11, 2013

I don't think anyone would flame you for this. It's the most logical option, really. Though, overclocking might not be necessary so a 4570 and a cheaper motherboard might be okay.

blastingcap

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2010
Heck, this is a good candidate for an APU! If you really want to keep things simple and as cheap as possible, an AMD APU, mobo and DDR3 would be one of the cheapest routes to some decent performance. Spending a tiny bit more could net a 4-core FM2 (750k?) and video card.

Good point. I think this is the best choice paired with 2133+ MHz RAM.

Blue_Max

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2011

If you really need to watch your pennies, I often see the NON-overclockable socket 1150 i5's paired with B85 mobos $75-100 cheaper than the 4570k - and you'd still gain the quite-respectable HD 4600 video. I've tried it myself on mine - it's not all that bad and probably better than you have now!

The AMD FM2 route with 740-750x processor plus video card is the fastest performer for the LEAST money, though. But you'll need some DDR3 and possibly a new power supply if yours is too old or insufficient.

I can totally appreciate having to make every dollar count, back when I had a pampered wife suckling on my wallet. :twisted:

If you're willing to gamble a little, there may be people or small businesses selling off old Core2Duo or even 1st-2nd-generation i3 or i5 machines for affordable prices. Don't underestimate how much of an improvement any of these are to the lackluster PentiumD's! Just be sure you're getting it MUCH cheaper than new prices or it isn't worth it.