Graphics Card for Gaming

g3n3ticlyg3nius

Feb 26, 2013
I am not sure if this is the right place .. but I guess it says Videos and Graphic cards.. so I'm gonna go on a hunch here and say it is...

The thing is I have just started playing video games a while back. I am a nOOB when it comes to this.

I started playing crysis , metro and other heavy ended games. It was all fine at my 1920 x 1080p monitor.

But recently I upgraded to a 2560 x 1440p monitor. Now I am used to ultra settings everywhere. But I was shocked at the performance hit that the games took at that resolution.

I feel like a GPU upgrade was the only sane option for me. i love all the eye candy and Im NOT willing to compromise on turning AA off or anything.

I have a Sapphire Radeon OC 7950 3GB

Now tell me what avenue should i pursue to improve gaming performance?

1. I have heard about ARES II and GTx Titan. While monetary cost is not the issue, I do want a graphics card that will last me at least 1 year or more.

The fact that I brought my 7950 just 6 months back is hurting me now. Don't want that mistake again.

2. Gtx 690 is my second option. Once again, I want to be sure that this card lasts me at least 01 year on every game, at that setting with all the eye candy turned on.

Crysis 3 looks very mean on the GPU at the moment, and I'm not sure which cards could pull it off.

3. I could always add another Sapphire Card for quarter of the price, but once again, I'm skeptical about cross firing abilities of most games and the micro stutter.

Budget : 1500 dollars the price of Asus Ares II

What I want to know is ,

1. Which card to buy ?

2. And will spending on Gtx Titan or Asus Ares II gonna last me at least a year?

3. Is it better to wait for next generation of cards and stop gaming for a while ?

My PC specs :

core i7 3770k
Asus Maximus V formula
Corsair GS 800W
Corsair Dominator GT 16 gb@ 2133 Mhz.
Corsair H100 liquid cooling
Corsair 600T special white edition

Phew! That covers everything. Would highly appreciate the replies.

Thank you so much !

BrightCandle

Diamond Member
Mar 15, 2007
So far you have avoided dual cards and I think that is wise. But at these resolutions you are pretty much going to need dual card like performance. Titan is just not quick enough for its price. I would love to say get a second 7950, its clearly the cheaper better choice from where you are but all the information we have right now says that wont help at all due to some real problems.

2x 680 SLI is your best option.

daveybrat

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jan 31, 2000
Seems like a lot of money to spend when you already have a nice 7950 card. I'd just buy a second one for Crossfire.

A fraction of the price and should increase performance substantially.

(and yes i know about the crossfire issues, new drivers should improve that hopefully)

BYOGamingPC

Banned
Feb 20, 2013
byogamingpc.wix.com
You could always go 3 way crossfire with XFX Double D HD 7970 Black Edition 3GB DDR5
$399.99 + FREE Shipping - $30 Rebate = $369.99 http://amzn.to/YxUYX1

You could get 3 of these bad boys for a bit over $1,000 and it'd blow away anything you throw at it but I believe the scaling works best with a multiple monitor setup. You can always OC them which will make them the equivalent of a GHz edition.

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009
In light of AMD's current frame delivery struggles in Xfire I would recommend a gtx690 for a single card solution, or gtx680 SLi. While I do believe they will fix the issues through driver updates I wouldn't really recommend buying any AMD cards for a dual GPU solution based on my belief.

If you're feeling really saucy up your budget andother $600 and get two Titan's. That outta run 1440p for the next 10 years lol.