Question Graphics card fans not running

jonpk

Feb 1, 2020
I have just replaced my motherboard, memory and CPU. Getting things up and running and everything is ok except the fans on the graphics card do not run. When I power up the rig they spin but right after post they stop. As the boot up continues, the video comes up ok as it normally would but the card fans still do not work. I have checked voltage through the bios and all looks ok. Also through CPU-z HW Monitor. I've swapped cables to no effect. The power supply seems to be ok. It's fan is running fine. All chassis fans and CPU fans run fine. The PS is a Seasonic 850w gold X series. The graphics card is a PNY GTX1070ti. I do get a warning from ASUS AI II the +12v voltage is 3.344v. Could that be an issue? Could the card fans be failing? Thanks.

Mobo is a new ASUS TUF Gaming X570 and the CPU is a new AMD 3700X.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
A lot of the newer video cards offer a "zero-RPM" mode for the fans, if they are not doing anything 3D-heavy or compute-heavy. (Basically, desktop usage, watching videos and web browsing, the fans stay off.)

At least, this was the case for most all of my RX 570 cards, I don't know if the GTX 1070ti had the feature as well. Perhaps someone can chime in?

What are your GPU temps, and do the fans come on, if you run 3DMark Firestrike or Furmark or something?

Reactions: Ranulf

SPBHM

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2012
yes even the r7 370 (2015) that I had was like this, it didn't advertise the feature clearly but it it would only spin the fan when the temp was high enough,

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
I can actually play Witcher 3 maxed out at 1080P and the fan on my 5700 XT stays off most of the time. You could run Afterburner or something to check the GPU's temps and such while playing a game. Once it gets over a certain temp, those fans should kick on.

As for the wrong voltage, that is strange. A 12V line should never read like a 3V line, unless the motherboard is just reading it wrong. I would make sure your mobo software is up to date.

jonpk

Feb 1, 2020
Brand new mobo. Brand new cpu. Brand new memory. Trying to determine if the fans are thermally controlled and run off until the GPU heats up.

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
My EVGA GPUs fans won't spin unless I have Precision X (the EVGA GPU utility) open. It's caught me off guard a few times...

Guru

May 5, 2017
update your graphic drivers and the fans should spin when you play 3d games. Thing is the card is barely getting used when playing a video, so it isn't heating up a lot, therefore the fans don't spin.

if you want to check if your fans spin at all, then download msi afterburner and set the fan curve yourself, where you'd set them up to run at lower temperatures or always if you want.

psolord

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2009
In msi afterburner, you can just uncheck the auto at the frontend (classic skin), set the fan speed and click apply. The fans should start.

Don't forget to click reset afterwards, or your fans will be stuck there.