Graphical corruption in raw files

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
When I transfer files from my SD card to my computer I often get a raw file with graphical corruption, while the jpg is fine. (I shoot raw+jpg) Is this a sign of a dying SD card?

JimKiler

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2002
When I transfer files from my SD card to my computer I often get a raw file with graphical corruption, while the jpg is fine. (I shoot raw+jpg) Is this a sign of a dying SD card?
What happens when you use a different SD card?

CuriousMike

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2001
Looks like you have a D5100, so that means you have a single SD slot in camera, ergo 1 SD card.

Certainly the easiest thing is to try a new SD card.

It wouldn't make me feel great if the JPG's are never corrupted and the RAW's always are... that smells fishy.

You could set to shoot only in RAW and see if it happens more frequently.
You could set to shoot in only JPG only and see if it happens with the JPGs.

New SD cards are cheap. :)

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
It is only one or two raw files that are corrupted when I unload the sd card. I don't have other SD cards, but maybe I need to invest in a new one.

CuriousMike

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2001
New SD cards are cheap... and it's the most likely culprit.

You could also switch to only JPG mode, and just fill the card with photos of your wall - see if any of those JPG's are corrupt.

Do the RAW files that are corrupt seem to be the right size on disk? i.e., if your typical RAW files are 18-23MB, are the corrupt files similar size? Or are they something like 3MB(truncated?)

We'll spend more time discussing this than it'd take to get a new Sandisk. ;)

Syborg1211

Diamond Member
Jul 29, 2000
If you really don't want to buy a new card yet, bring it into best buy and stick it in a display Nikon and fire away. Remember to put it on jpeg+raw.

Yakk

Golden Member
May 28, 2016
Test your SD card.

I use & test all my new SD cards (I go though a lot of them) with H2testw and average about a 30-40% defect rate on premium SD cards (brand name doesn't seem to matter) . RAW files are huge and you have a much higher chance of hitting bad sectors on SD cards versus small jpg files. In my experience a lot of people actually use defective cards without ever knowing it until they fill them up completely and notice corrupt files.

Jul 27, 2020
Seems like the error correction on SD cards is crappy on purpose, just like it is on video surveillance HDDs. They don't expect people to notice bit errors. Very disingenuous of these manufacturers. I would try Lexar. Sandisk are scummy scammers anyway.

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
I found out the problem was a faulty USB port on the front of my cabinet. When connected to the motherboard there where no problems.

• Wow
Reactions: igor_kavinski