Graphic Card Up-Date, Good Time?

vegettoxp

Jun 8, 2007
Hello there Guys, I finally got my New Rig "Trance-Fuzion" up and running and man it was the happiest day in my computer life. The machine is off the hook and the power of Core 2 Extreme is CRAZY. Now I wanted to get your thoughts on the blowout sales on Graphic Cards. I went with the EVGA 8800GT Graphic Card for my New Rig and Now that Nvidia is releasing new cards, I wanted to get your guys opinion, if I should update my graphic Card.

I am leaning more and more towards the 9800 GTX+ Graphic Card. I won't make my final decision untill are the facts are out. But if you guys can give me your early quick opinion, then I can start to do my research. Since I bought the Graphic Card from EVGA, I can use the Step-Up Program and land me a New Card. If you have any other Recommendtaion, Please let me know. Here is a Quick Sys Config:

Vista Ultimate 64Bit
Intel Core 2 Extreme 3.2GHz
Asus Maximus Formula SE
4GB System Ram
Corsair 620HX Power Supply (Will I need a New Power Supply)

NO SLI For NOW! This Graphhic Card will be used for Gaming (Not Extreme Gamer), 22" LCD Display, TV, and DVD Playback!

Yor Thoughts Guys!

nitromullet

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2004
for your system

Vista Ultimate 64Bit
Asus Maximus Formula SE
4GB System Ram
Corsair 620HX Power Supply

Any for the following would be good upgrades:

GeForce GTX 280, GTX 260 (not out yet), Radeon HD 4870 (not out yet), or two Radeon HD 4850s in Crossfire. Anything less would probably not really be a worthwhile upgrade from an 8800GT.

Your PSU should be fine for any of those options.

Denithor

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2004
Basically check back in a month once the 4870 and GTX 260 have been launched.

bryanW1995

Lifer
May 22, 2007
Originally posted by: nitromullet
for your system

Vista Ultimate 64Bit
Asus Maximus Formula SE
4GB System Ram
Corsair 620HX Power Supply

Any for the following would be good upgrades:

GeForce GTX 280, GTX 260 (not out yet), Radeon HD 4870 (not out yet), or two Radeon HD 4850s in Crossfire. Anything less would probably not really be a worthwhile upgrade from an 8800GT.

Your PSU should be fine for any of those options.

what are your fps/quality levels on games that you play RIGHT NOW? unless you're suffering slowdowns at the quality levels at which you want to play you won't see any difference in going to ANY of these cards. If you're not an "extreme gamer" especially, I'd wait until the 8800gt no longer does its job before upgrading.

If you are having graphics problems then nitro pretty much laid out your options, though 4870x2 should be in about 2 mos and you could also xfire 2 4870's as well.

HOOfan 1

Platinum Member
Sep 2, 2007
Originally posted by: Scholzpdx
8800GS $79.99 After rebate

This is a killer card for a great price. 22inches should be no sweat with 384mb of Vram. I'm using my 8800GTS 320mb on my new 22in with no fps drops compared to my 17in lcd.

does EVGA have a step-down program? LOL he is looking to step-up from a 8800GT he already has

It depends on how much longer you have in your step-up option. You could wait and see if the GTX260 comes down in price some, or you can wait for the 9800GTX+...but again it all depends on how much time you have left in your step-up program.

To go GTX 260 would probably cost you over $200 in step-up fee.

You won't need a new powersupply even if you bought a second 8800GT. None of the singlecard solutions out there would be a problem for your PSU

SneakyStuff

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2004
IMO it doesn't make sense to upgrade if you don't need to. If your games are running the way you want them to then why upgrade? The 8800GT is a pretty capable card for a 1680 x 1050 resolution. However, if money isn't really an issue for you I suppose I'd reccomend a GX260 when it comes out since you have the step-up option.

TC91

Golden Member
Jul 9, 2007
keep the 8800gt for another year, its not a slow card on a 22inch display by any stretch (except for crysis).

Klinky1984

Nov 21, 2007
If you're not running games on it then you don't need to upgrade. 8800GT is still quite the decent card out right now. Unless there comes a time when you have a killer game that you must play & it runs crappy on your 8800GT, then you should upgrade at that time.

vegettoxp

Jun 8, 2007
Thx for the input guys. To Answer some of your guys question, I am not an extreme gamer yet, but the system I just built, I want to play the games I couldn't before. Right now I play one title for sure and that is Need For Speed and soon I am gona try out GRID. So you can say that I don't do gaming 24/7. I am a casual gamer. But I would like to have the graphic card that won't have any problems with the games that are coming out.

I have a EVGA Graphic Card and I have 40 Days Left on my Step-Up Program. I am hoping that 9800GTX+ will drop soon.

I will NOT buy ATI Graphic Card. Nothing against ATI, but I lean more towards nVidia.

So aftre reading my comments, you thoughts on what I should update too. I am looking at paying $250 Max and maybe little bit more.

Your Thoughts?

betasub

Platinum Member
Mar 22, 2006
Originally posted by: vegettoxp
I don't do gaming 24/7.

Glad to see you take a break like the rest of us. 24/7 gaming :Q

I will NOT buy ATI Graphic Card. Nothing against ATI, but I lean more towards nVidia.

Well if you're ruling out the competition, then you are back to your original EVGA step-up plan - at least it fits with a July(?) release for 9800GTX+

error8

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2007
Originally posted by: vegettoxp
Thx for the input guys. To Answer some of your guys question, I am not an extreme gamer yet, but the system I just built, I want to play the games I couldn't before. Right now I play one title for sure and that is Need For Speed and soon I am gona try out GRID. So you can say that I don't do gaming 24/7. I am a casual gamer. But I would like to have the graphic card that won't have any problems with the games that are coming out.

I have a EVGA Graphic Card and I have 40 Days Left on my Step-Up Program. I am hoping that 9800GTX+ will drop soon.

So aftre reading my comments, you thoughts on what I should update too. I am looking at paying $250 Max and maybe little bit more.

Your Thoughts?

Being a fanboy will never help you get the best out of your money. In my opinion 9800GTX+ is crap since Nvidia is trying to kill the competition just by raising the clocks of a card that otherwise would loose the battle. Oh yeah, it's on 55 nm, big deal...

Your only choice of an upgrade seems be the "normal" 9800GTX. Overclock it and there you have 9800GTX+. Overclocked it more and you can say that you own a 9800GTX ++. Great. :(

Really, you could just keep the 8800 GT. I own it, it's overclocked a lot and there is no game that could pose a threat for it. Grid works like a charm by the way. ;)

The real upgrade path for you to take it would have been the 4870 since it should be blazing fast and a beefy boost over your current card on a great price too,
( 100$ less then GTX260). But this is impossible now since you are a fanboy. That's sad for you....

vegettoxp

Jun 8, 2007
It not that I don't want to buy ATI, I am just into nVidia Graphic Card. But I will take your guys recommendations and I will wait untill all the facts are out on both nVidia and ATI. But nVidia would be my first choice.

But in your guys opinion, How long will the 8800GT Graphic Card Last Me? I need a graphic card that will give me two to three years, NO PAIN.

And if ATI 4870 will give me what I want, I have NO PROBLEM buying ATI Graphic Card. And just for Info, Please tell me the release Date of ATI Graphic Card.

Your Thoughts?

error8

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2007
Well, I'm glad that you are not a fanboy after all. ;)

The 4870 is going to be released very soon, something like next week I think, although some people say that there are places from where you can buy the card right now (I highly doubt that).
The 8800 gt is going to last until the end of the year at least. But, you have to know that it's hard for a card to last 2-3 years playing everything on max settings, especially at your price tag( $250). The 8800 GTX I guess it's the most durable card in the recent history, being able to play everything maxed out ( except Crysis) since november 2006. But that cost like 600$ or so in the beginning.
If the 4870 lives up to its expectations it will serve you well for a long time, but three years seems to much for it too.

Extelleron

Diamond Member
Dec 26, 2005
The NDA for RV770 technical data and the HD 4870 NDA expire tomorrow. So you will have to wait until then to get a good idea how the HD 4870 performs. Whether or not the 4870 will actually be available to purchase tomorrow, I don't know. There may be only small quantities for now and not widespread availability until July.

From what I see, the GTX 280 will remain the fastest card for now and the HD 4870 will be the second fastest card. The HD 4870 seems to beat or at least tie the GTX 260 in benchmarks. The 4870 will cost ~$299 and the GTX 260 is $399. The GTX 280 costs $649.

The 4870 is probably going to be the best value of the bunch. If you plan on keeping it for a long time, you may want to consider getting a 1GB 4870, as cards with 512MB framebuffer will likely not be good enough for future games.

You shouldn't need a new PSU no matter which card you choose.

RussianSensation

Elite Member
Sep 5, 2003
I would only recommend upgrading when the games you actually play start being choppy or you aren't happy with the image quality vs. performance.

I wouldn't upgrade to anything on the NV side. Why?

Because you would get 4850s in CF over GTX 260 or GTX 280.
Can't comment on the unofficial performance of 4870 but imo it wouldn't be worth it to spend $300 on it when for $100 more 4850s should deliver a heck of a lot more :)

ATI has this round covered unless NV lowers pricing even more on 9800GTX series (or you can SLI an 8800GT - which you cannot do...)

lifeblood

Oct 17, 2001
Your board is a Asus Maximus Formula SE which uses an Intel X38 chipset. I don't believe you can do SLI on this board, or am I wrong. I thought (please correct me if I am wrong) you need an nvidia chipset to do SLI? Therefore if you have any thought of using two cards in the future you will need an AMD/ATI video card.