Graphic Card Help

GPS

Jul 23, 2009
Hi

I have a Geforce 7900GTO card and am using Windows 7. I have been having some problems that I have been told is due to my card not being able to do DirectX, so I am looking to upgrade. I mostly watch movies and play the occasional game on my system. Comparing different card has been confusing to say the least, I was wondering if you guys had some suggestions. My range is around $40-80. Thanks, I appreciate any help.

cusideabelincoln

Diamond Member
Aug 3, 2008
What kind of problems are you seeing? The 7900GTO does do DirectX; it does DX9.

A rough equivalent DX10 card to the 7900GTO would be the Geforce 9500 GT. A faster option (in terms of gaming) would be the Radeon HD4670 or Geforce 9600GT, which should also fall in that price range.

crisium

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2001
Um, I'll leave the first part of your post for someone else to analyze. Moving on to the recommendations.

Best card for that range for ATi is either the Radeon 3870 or 4670:

Radeon 4670 512MB
Radeon 3870 512MB

The 4670 uses much less power, so it's probably the better choice considering they perform very similar.

For Nvidia, the GeFore 9600GT just barely fits that price range:

GeForce 9600GT 512MB

It's probably slightly faster than the Radeon overall, but trades off depending on the game, and also uses slightly more power. Anyway, get either the 4670 or 9600GT, since they are both good cards.

MODEL3

Jul 22, 2009
Originally posted by: GPS
Hi

I have a Geforce 7900GTO card and am using Windows 7. I have been having some problems that I have been told is due to my card not being able to do DirectX, so I am looking to upgrade. I mostly watch movies and play the occasional game on my system. Comparing different card has been confusing to say the least, I was wondering if you guys had some suggestions. My range is around $40-80. Thanks, I appreciate any help.

You said You have a Geforce 7900GTO or a NV1, becauce the DirectX comment confused me.

I haven't got the chance to use Windows 7 but since 7900GTO is DX9.1 propably they told you wrong, although the guys here who used Windows 7 they can inform you better.

If you give more details about the spec of your machine (also your monitor resolution) and what games you like I can help more.

But at that price range I suspect the following:
Radeon 4670 or Geforce 9600GT

Don't bother with Radeon 4730 (two six pin power connectors for that kind of perf?

If You can find the Radeon 4830 or the Geforce 9800GT at or bellow 80$ then they are good choice.

I would go for 4670 becauce I am extremely eco friendly.

GPS

Jul 23, 2009
Thanks for the responses. I was informed that Direct X 10 was required to use Windows 7, my problem was that when using media center my screen on my Plasma would scramble for 30sec, then everything would be fine. If I watch youtube and select full screen the same thing happens. (my resolution on my computer matches my TV resolution and the resolution of media center) It is not a huge problem, just extremely annoying, I checked in the windows seven forum and two people suggested I upgrade my card to one that can do direct x 10. My knowledge of computers is (obviously) not extensive, so I am just looking for a solution. you guys have any suggestions. Thanks

EDIT: My computer is a Core2duo 2.4ghz, 2gb of ram....and my plasma is 1080P, so essentially my computer is a part of my entertainment center. I just want to be able to play most games at medium setting(I have a xbox and ps3 for most of my gaming).