Grandparents decided to upgrade the TV

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: Mermaidman
Originally posted by: spidey07
Good grandsons don't give their grandparents buyers remorse.

Let'em be happy and enjoy their new toy.
Wise words. Are you a granny?

heh, no. I just don't think it's a good idea (ie, it's very rude) to rain on somebody's parade.

Plus there's the whole ease of use thing. My dad can barely realize he has to turn on the receiver to watch TV, let alone switch back and forth between inputs, HD and non-HD, if the cable box has power, etc. He just wants to turn it on and watch TV.

bennylong

Platinum Member
Apr 20, 2006
Your grandpa probably thinks your an idiot for spending $200 on a pair of jean, $200 every year on a cellphone,and upgrading your computer parts every year. Does your grandpa tell you to return those items?

doze

Platinum Member
Jul 26, 2005
At least the bose system put everything they need into one simple good looking package. Now they don't have to worry about connecting a DVD player to the surround sound receiver to the TV and making sure all the inputs and outputs are right. Sure it is overpriced and I would never buy one for myself.

axelfox

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: hypn0tik
Originally posted by: Viper GTS
Originally posted by: spidey07
Good grandsons don't give their grandparents buyers remorse.

Let'em be happy and enjoy their new toy.

This is a very important (yet difficult) lesson to learn.

If they didn't ask your advice ahead of time, and are happy with their purchase(s), keep your mouth shut. Guess what, Bose makes a lot of people very happy. There is nothing wrong with that.

Of course if anybody asks my advice they'll get something far better but they have to care enough to ask. Otherwise I pretend I know nothing about technology, it's better for everyone's sanity.

Viper GTS

Very well said. Unless you are really close to your grandparents as you are with your immediate family, there is no need to say anything unless they ask you. If your brother or sister went and bought a 1k Bose system, you should smack them upside the head and knock some sense into them.

Heh, like the scene in Old School where Luke Wilson gives the girl the CD rack, and then Vince Vaugh says that thing is a piece of crap :D :D

Oct 4, 2004
Well, their hearing probably isn't that great so they might as well get speakers that 'go with the decor'. Deep bass gives old people heart attacks...highs make them all irritable & cranky. Oh wait, I don't think old people can hear highs.

(No offense intended)