Grandpa in hospital....

niwi7

Golden Member
Feb 21, 2003
My grandpa was perfectly coherent and normal two days ago. He then fell down and sprained his ankle so we took him to the hospital. We went to visit him tonight and he was a totally different person. He had a fever and kept telling us all that the FBI was coming and that they were trying to poison him and he was kicking and punching doctors and nurses. When he finally calmed down he still wasn't making sense and he was breathing heavily and his left arm kept shaking. It was sad becuase we never had seen him like that. We thought it was a reaction to the antibiotics he was on. I went home and checked online and read an article on Sepsis which is an infection of the entire body that coudl be 50% fatal and the symptoms are fever, disorientation and usually stem from some type of injury to the body....
i feel kind of helpless right now since its 1215 am and i can't go to the hospital and do anything about it but it just bothers me that the nurses thought he was a crazy old man and didn't take it seriously. If I find out tomorrow that this is the cause I will be very angry and upset.
link to sepsis: http://www.webmd.com/hw/health_guide_atoz/sts15452.asp?navbar=

anyne have any experience with this disease?

Slew Foot

Lifer
Sep 22, 2005
He sprained his ankle so Im guessing they're loading him up on pain meds, he could be hallucinating from them.

Not getting the whole story though, why is he on antibiotics in the first place? You dont get them for just a sprain.

niwi7

Golden Member
Feb 21, 2003
they said that the sprain resulted in an infection....in his ankle

thats why I looked up infections on webmd and this type of infection seemed to have the most symptoms...actually all the symptoms that he had

he wasn't on any pain meds except the antibiotics and then once he started going crazy they gave him some calming meds i guess like human tranquilizers or something liek that which didn't help much at all

sixone

Lifer
May 3, 2004
How old is your grandfather?

It is fairly common in the elderly, though I can't tell you why. Give it a few days, I'm sure he'll come out of it just fine.

thelanx

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2000
A sprain probably won't cause sepsis. Was your grandpa a frequent/heavy drinker?

TraumaRN

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2005
You are thinking worst case scenario. Sepsis is a possibility but more likely is something called delirium. It's extremely common in the elderly in the hospital some research suggests that greater than 50% of elderly will experience it while hospitalized.

And how high was the fever. Could just be from the injury. Not to mention fever in itself can cause delirium.

Otherwise his symptoms sound very much like delirium.

If your grandpa was septic he'd be in the ICU by now. Sepsis can be very deadly but he needs two criteria of SIRS(systemic inflammatory response syndrome)

Heart rate > 90 beats per minute
Body temperature < 96.8 °F or > 100.4 °F
Hyperventilation (high respiratory rate) > 20 breaths per minute
White blood cell count < 4000 or > 12000 or greater than 10% band forms (immature white blood cells).

EDIT: WTF hospital admits for an ankle sprain....unless he had some other medical problems. Not to mention why antibiotics again for a sprain unless he has some other problems you didn't list. Not trying to sound harsh but I'm a slightly confused medical professional cuz I feel like some facts are missing.

The Sauce

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999
Don't be a weenie. First of all, old demented coots go batty in the hospital...fact of life. Secondly, if you are not happy with gramps going cookoo in the hospital...then take him home and let his foot fall off. Don't be a dip and blame the people trying to help him because of your ignorance. Grampa is not going to die of sepsis from a broken ankle, or from his delirium. Those poor nurses taking care of him are probably getting their asses kicked by him and 500 other looney gomers and you have the gall to accuse them.

This is why medicine is not a rewarding profession anymore. Self-entitled people like this who think they know it all.

CJZ

Golden Member
Jan 24, 2001
Sounds like delerium as DeathBUA pointed out. Delerium can be due to many things including drugs, disorientation in the elderly, infection.

The reason why the nurses seem like they are not taking you seriously is because it is so common in the elderly when they are hospitalized. If you are that concerned you should ask if you can speak with a doctor.

When I did my CCU rotation I'd have nights where an 80yo guy who was perfectly fine all day would suddenly flip out in the middle of the night, demanding to leave and start trying to punch out staff.

Whisper

Diamond Member
Feb 25, 2000
Originally posted by: DeathBUA
You are thinking worst case scenario. Sepsis is a possibility but more likely is something called delirium. It's extremely common in the elderly in the hospital some research suggests that greater than 50% of elderly will experience it while hospitalized.

And how high was the fever. Could just be from the injury. Not to mention fever in itself can cause delirium.

Otherwise his symptoms sound very much like delirium.

If your grandpa was septic he'd be in the ICU by now. Sepsis can be very deadly but he needs two criteria of SIRS(systemic inflammatory response syndrome)

Heart rate > 90 beats per minute
Body temperature < 96.8 °F or > 100.4 °F
Hyperventilation (high respiratory rate) > 20 breaths per minute
White blood cell count < 4000 or > 12000 or greater than 10% band forms (immature white blood cells).

EDIT: WTF hospital admits for an ankle sprain....unless he had some other medical problems. Not to mention why antibiotics again for a sprain unless he has some other problems you didn't list. Not trying to sound harsh but I'm a slightly confused medical professional cuz I feel like some facts are missing.

Sounds a bit like delerium to me as well, but tough to make even a semi-certain call with the information provided.

As for the hospital admit, if he's an elderly man deemed to be in fragile health, they possibly might've done it as a precautionary measure...? Especially given the change in mood, maybe they wanted some extra observation time.

SirStev0

Lifer
Nov 13, 2003
Originally posted by: CJZ
Sounds like delerium as DeathBUA pointed out. Delerium can be due to many things including drugs, disorientation in the elderly, infection.

The reason why the nurses seem like they are not taking you seriously is because it is so common in the elderly when they are hospitalized. If you are that concerned you should ask if you can speak with a doctor.

When I did my CCU rotation I'd have nights where an 80yo guy who was perfectly fine all day would suddenly flip out in the middle of the night, demanding to leave and start trying to punch out staff.

Dont you love it. I always get them flipping out 3 miles from the hospital.

niwi7

Golden Member
Feb 21, 2003
as of like yesterday the doctors now say that it IS sepsis
so therefore i was right from the beginning
argh

Damn Dirty Ape

Diamond Member
Nov 1, 1999
Originally posted by: niwi7
as of like yesterday the doctors now say that it IS sepsis
so therefore i was right from the beginning
argh

I lost my Dad to that almost 4 years ago. I will keep him in my nightly prayers.

crab

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2001
I've had sepsis, and besides the acute organ failure, I completely lost my mind, I was freaking out and saying some pretty crazy stuff. I had to be strapped to a hospital bed to keep me from hurting myself and others.