Grandma goes to war!

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060819/ap_on_re_us/old_soldiers

Margie Black had wanted to enter the military as a teenager, but having her first child at 19 put off her ambitions. So when she learned the Army raised its enlistment age, Black, now a 41-year-old grandmother from West Columbia, Texas, didn't hesitate to join. The decision took "about 30 seconds," she said.

The change came as the Army fell well short of its recruiting goals last year. It needs to bring in 80,000 recruits this year and is pushing a package of higher enlistment bonuses and pay levels for certain jobs, as well as financial incentives for former soldiers to re-enlist.

The limit to enter the part-time Army Reserve was raised to 40 in March 2005 and the Army raised it to 40 for active duty in January. Then, both organizations raised it to 42 in June.

The Army has taken in 405 men and women in the active duty and 711 in the Reserves who were 35 or older as of Aug. 4, according to Douglas Smith, a spokesman for the U.S. Army Recruiting Command.

Actually I think a 41 year old grandma would do a better job in the current role of the Army in Iraq. Having some age and maturity would be beneficial in what is essentially a police action at this point.
And if all else fails she could threaten the terrorists by witholding her home baked cookies.

SarcasticDwarf

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2001
I'm not sure what the problem is. There are 10's of thousands in the military older than that (as they usually join before that age). The only difference is that she will be a lower rank.

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
She's a young grandmother. The title (without the sub title) would make someone think some 70 year old had enlisted.

cwjerome

Diamond Member
Sep 30, 2004
Good for her.

In my experience people in the Army who join at 32+ are a great group overall.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Originally posted by: cwjerome
Good for her.

In my experience people in the Army who join at 32+ are a great group overall.

Indeed, especially for conflicts like the one in Iraq, as the OP already pointed out.

maluckey

Platinum Member
Jan 31, 2003
Maturity leads to fast advancement/promotion. Oftenimes this group has a degree, so moving throught he ranks is blazing fast. A guy in our unit came in an E-4. One year to E-5, and is now up for E-6. All of this in less than two and a half years.

They (older candidates with degrees) can also try direct commission and come in as Commissioned Officers and Warrant Officers. We also have one of those. He came in a couple of years back. He's a Surgeon. One day he woke up and wanted to help soldiers while saving the world.

41 is OLD by basic training standards, but some are up to the challenge. I think it is a good deal for those that are.