Grand Theft Auto: Vice City woes on PS2...

Dan2

Jun 7, 2000
I am having some serious problems with this game. Not the game itself, actually, but the disc!

I have 13 Playstation 2 games (I guess GTA:VC is unlucky #13) and all of them work fine except for the newest GTA.
If I put it into my PS2, it randomly (about 1/3 of the time) loads far enough to get into the game. Usually it doesn't get past the Playstation 2 load screen and says "Disc read error". Also, in gameplay, it randomly fails to load between sections of the game, and sometimes in the middle of a battle/song/etc. it says "Error loading Grand Theft Auto: Vice City DVD".

Ack!
The game is not scratched, either. Anyone know what I can do? Think my PS2 lens needs cleaning?

I tried returning it to Amazon but it says on their store that they will not accept opened games, even they were defective from the factory.

bmacd

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
We had a customer exchange his copy of Vice City at Kmart. He described similar symptoms as yours. You sir, have a defective copy.

-=bmacd=-

BeauJangles

Lifer
Aug 26, 2001
Is it with JUST this game, or have you tried others? If it's with this game, return it and get another copy... Otherwise, call Sony.

Smolek

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2001
No, its like BMACD said, you have a defective copy. Apparently there were a lot of these.

Smolek

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2001
Originally posted by: Dan2
I tried returning it to Amazon but it says on their store that they will not accept opened games, even they were defective from the factory.

Also, you CANNOT return it to Amazon for $$$ or credit but you can EXCHANGE it for another copy at Amazon.

Dan2

Jun 7, 2000
What the hell, I tried it in my roommates PS2 and it works flawlessly. I played for a while and no problems yet. Still going to exchange it though. :)

Kev

Lifer
Dec 17, 2001
What the hell, I tried it in my roommates PS2 and it works flawlessly. I played for a while and no problems yet. Still going to exchange it though. :)

maybe your ps2 is fux0r3d

Dan2

Jun 7, 2000
Maybe, but it's kind of odd that it works perfectly (no problems, ever) with any DVD or PS2 game I've tried except this one. Blah I still blame Rockstar. :D

Zim Hosein

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Super Moderator
Nov 27, 1999
Maybe, but it's kind of odd that it works perfectly (no problems, ever) with any DVD or PS2 game I've tried except this one. Blah I still blame Rockstar. :D

Dan2, just curious, was you PS2 and your roommates PS2 bought around the same time or is there a big time difference between purchase time?

hungrypete

Diamond Member
Aug 4, 2000
yeah there are like 6 versions of ps2 if i recall, i think mine's a 4 and I've had no problems... not that it gets used much. information on your model's version can be found here

Dan2

Jun 7, 2000
We purchased our PS2s within a month of each other. I'll check the # though. Thanks again.