Grand Theft Auto Episodes from Liberty City out on PC?

fustercluck

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2002
Just noticed this on steam. I liked GTA4 a lot, played it about a year ago but never really heard anything about additional content being released. I knew it was coming but didn't know it was already out. Also thought the expansions might just be released for consoles. So apparently I've been tuned out. Worth $30?

In the package you get "The Lost and Damned" and "The Ballad of Gay Tony". How long have these been out for consoles (if at all) and were they always planned to come out for PC?

Dorkenstein

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2004
I'll probably get them if I ever beat GTA 4 proper, but I dislike the fact that they are gigantic separate installs since they are touted as being 'stand alone'.

fatpat268

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2006
Everyone that even remotely likes the GTA series needs to play Ballad of Gay Tony, regardless if you finished GTA4 or not.

Frankly, it's the game GTA4 should've been from the get go, and frankly, it's just fun.

warcrow

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004
If you liked GTA4 then you'll enjoy the episodes. They're different enough that they comfortably change up the pace a bit, and the various narratives are entwined in an interesting way. Gay Tony is awesome and has a little more of a wacky feel to it (like GTA:SA).

Dorkenstein

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2004
Anybody tried the patch? I've heard that it breaks modded savegames. Just curious if anyone else encountered that.

quadomatic

May 13, 2007
I haven't modded so I wouldn't know...maybe check gtaforums.com?

I went to best buy and bought EFLC today. Thanks to a daily 3GB download limit at my campus, buying the DLC (since GFWL has no DL manager, and I can't download GFWL add-ons from my laptop through the chicago public library wifi because my laptop runs linux and doesn't have GTA IV and GFWL marketplace installed) is not an option, and I really would not like waiting 5 days to download from Steam. So, I sucked it up and paid the tax at Best Buy (which is 10.25% in Chicago btw...rather high).

I started The Lost and Damned, figure I'd play in the order they were released. It's pretty fun, but if it wasn't story driven I don't think I'd enjoy it as much. Hopefully Ballad of Gay Tony is even better.

Attic

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2010
i play with 360 gamepad and why the control doesn't give movement speed relative to how far you push the analogue sticks (like every other game) is beyond me. Having to hold "A" to move faster than a slow walk is ridiculous when you have analogue control sticks for movement. Makes for lousy control on foot IMO.

Will pick up Gay Tony episode.

quadomatic

May 13, 2007
GTA4 was a masterpiece, IMO, and I had fun completing it almost three whole times (and I 100% completed the SP). Buying these as soon as I can, albeit for PS3.

Probably better off than for PC, I'm having weird graphical glitches. Apparently they don't happen with the DLC, only the separate disc set, but it's pretty annoying.

CountZero

Golden Member
Jul 10, 2001
What if you didn't much like GTA4 because it wasn't as open or 'fun' as GTA:VC/SA or Saint's Row 2?

I'm debating on whether I want to give it a go as I was pretty disappointed with GTA4, though I'd probably like GTA4 a lot more if they just removed the phone calls. :p

quadomatic

May 13, 2007
What if you didn't much like GTA4 because it wasn't as open or 'fun' as GTA:VC/SA or Saint's Row 2?

I'm debating on whether I want to give it a go as I was pretty disappointed with GTA4, though I'd probably like GTA4 a lot more if they just removed the phone calls. :p

A lot of people have said Ballad of Gay Tony is really over the top, so maybe that'll give you what you're looking for.

fatpat268

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2006
A lot of people have said Ballad of Gay Tony is really over the top, so maybe that'll give you what you're looking for.

I wouldn't say Gay Tony was over the top, but it certainly was a return to what GTA used to be.

Hrochard

Feb 23, 2002
How long are the episodes compared to GTA IV? Combined do they provide about the same amount of gameplay as the original game?

quadomatic

May 13, 2007
How long are the episodes compared to GTA IV? Combined do they provide about the same amount of gameplay as the original game?

Reviews say 10-15 hours per episode. I don't really know how many hours it took me to beat GTA IV, but I'm willing to bet it was more than 30 hours.