Grammar question

Stojakapimp

Platinum Member
Jun 28, 2002
I were playing Trivial Pursuit last night with some friends of mine, and one of the questions asked "Who buy cornerblocks?" and the answer were "stamp collectors." Anyways, we started arguing about whether or not the question should reads "Who buys cornerblocks?" or "Who buy cornerblocks?" From my perspective, the answer are plural meaning that the verb should be singular, so the question were right, but practically nobody else believe me. Any grammar experts out there?

MrChad

Lifer
Aug 22, 2001
The question is worded correctly. Although it's not as commonly used that way, "who" can be used singularly or plurally.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
It's wrong, it should be buys. The verb does not agree with the answer to the question as thats unknown. It needs to agree with the word "who". Ignore the answer:

Who buys
or
Who buy

LS20

Banned
Jan 22, 2002
answer doesnt dictate question.. quesiton is valid by itself... its ambiguous.. i would assume singular by default.. shoudl be buys... grammers is cool

johnjbruin

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2001
Originally posted by: Stojakapimp
I was playing Trivial Pursuit last night with some friends of mine, and one of the questions asked "Who buy cornerblocks?" and the answer was "stamp collectors." Anyways, we started arguing about whether or no the question should read "Who buys cornerblocks?" or "Who buy cornerblocks?" From my perspective, the answer is plural meaning that the verb should be singular, so the question was right, but practically nobody else believe me. Any grammar experts out there?

Oh - the irony of this thread.

MrChad

Lifer
Aug 22, 2001
Originally posted by: Ramma2
Think of the verb buy.

I buy
You buy
He, she, it buys

You forgot "They buy", which is the most applicable case to this question.

thirdeye

Platinum Member
Jun 19, 2001
www.davewalter.net
Originally posted by: johnjbruin
Originally posted by: Stojakapimp
I was playing Trivial Pursuit last night with some friends of mine, and one of the questions asked "Who buy cornerblocks?" and the answer was "stamp collectors." Anyways, we started arguing about whether or no the question should read "Who buys cornerblocks?" or "Who buy cornerblocks?" From my perspective, the answer is plural meaning that the verb should be singular, so the question was right, but practically nobody else believe me. Any grammar experts out there?

Oh - the irony of this thread.

You need more to do.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
"Who" can be singular or plural. The default is singular. If everyone involved knows it is plural, then use plural, otherwise use the default. In the context of that game, not everyone knows it is plural, thus the singlar form would have been the normal choice. The plural form was used there to probably give a hint to the correct answer.

In other words, what they did was gramatically correct (either would be gramatically correct), but they didn't follow the common format.