Graduate school questions

MasterOfKtulu109

May 16, 2006
I have a year left for my Mechanical Engineering degree and plan on getting a Master's. I first thought I would obviously get it in Mech. Engg., but the more I think about it, it seems like an MBA would be better.

Anyone have any advice or done the same thing?

I just think that eventually being an engineering manager somewhere, it would be beneficial to have some business knowledge. Plus, I'm not really sure how more engineering classes would change my job experience/title in the future (more money hopefully). Maybe I'm completely wrong.

Do most people go for a MBA right after undergrad, or do they get a job for 3 or 4 years, and then go back for the master's? Some companies will provide financial assistance if you get a master's while working for them, but the downside is it would take forever to get the degree only taking classes at night or whatever.

Thanks for any advice or first-hand experience.

CellarDoor

Golden Member
Aug 31, 2004
Originally posted by: MasterOfKtulu109
I have a year left for my Mechanical Engineering degree and plan on getting a Master's. I first thought I would obviously get it in Mech. Engg., but the more I think about it, it seems like an MBA would be better.

Anyone have any advice or done the same thing?

I just think that eventually being an engineering manager somewhere, it would be beneficial to have some business knowledge. Plus, I'm not really sure how more engineering classes would change my job experience/title in the future (more money hopefully). Maybe I'm completely wrong.

Do most people go for a MBA right after undergrad, or do they get a job for 3 or 4 years, and then go back for the master's? Some companies will provide financial assistance if you get a master's while working for them, but the downside is it would take forever to get the degree only taking classes at night or whatever.

Thanks for any advice or first-hand experience.

I'm going to graduate in a couple of months and have looking into getting an MBA, and here is what my research has taught me.

1. Most MBA schools want letters of recommendation from supervisors as opposed to professors. This is harder to get coming straight from undergrad.

2. More business schools are willing to accept students straight from undergraduate school than they used to. You can get into a top school from undergrad.

3. If you did get into a top school straight from undergrad and you get your MBA, how useful is it if you've never had a professional job?

4. If you haven't worked in a professional environment before, are you sure you know exactly what area of concentration you want your MBA to be in?

Those are some things I considered. I decided that I'm going to get a job and work for a couple of years. How fast I rise within that company, my pay, and how much I like it will influence my decision on where and when to go to b-school, if at all. It's also a good idea to take the GMAT while you're in school and used to studying.

Hopefully someone who has actually been through this can give some more advice.

Edit: Oh. I believe the average age of people at most business schools is somewhere around 25-27, so most people do not go directly to business school. However, the trend is shifting lately I believe.

Special K

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2000
I am working on my MSEE right now and the one thing I will say about engineering grad school is do not do it unless the school is paying for it. All of my advisors told me this in undergrad. If you can't get a guaranteed position as a TA, RA, or fellowship, do not pay to go to engineering grad school.

MasterOfKtulu109

May 16, 2006
Originally posted by: Special K
I am working on my MSEE right now and the one thing I will say about engineering grad school is do not do it unless the school is paying for it. All of my advisors told me this in undergrad. If you can't get a guaranteed position as a TA, RA, or fellowship, do not pay to go to engineering grad school.

Thanks for the advice.

WildHorse

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2003
I just think that eventually being an engineering manager somewhere,
Earn the M.E., get employed in a good outfit somewhere near a top MBA school.
Earn the MBA nights on their dime.

postmortemIA

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2006

Thanks for the advice.

That advice is equal to this (in most cases): If you get accepted, you'll get TA or RA.

Special K

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2000
Originally posted by: postmortemIA

Thanks for the advice.

That advice is equal to this (in most cases): If you get accepted, you'll get TA or RA.

Not necessarily. My school only gives out positions to 30% of the grad students it accepts. I was also accepted into the #1 and #2 engineering schools with no aid whatsoever. I contacted their EECS departments and learned that they too only give out TA/RA positions to ~30-50% of admitted students. RAs for incoming grad students are even more uncommon because you pretty much need to have a professor lined up to work for before you get there.

WildHorse

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2003
MasterOfKtulu109

PM your e-mail address to me & I'll send you something you might find useful in evaluating what you're considering.

KillerCharlie

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2005
If your employer is worthwhile they'll pay for your MBA. I don't think it's worth it bothering until you've been working for at least 5 years.