Grade national leaders on their performance handling COVID-19.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Letter grades. Listed in alphabetical order to make unbiased. Grade as of Wed April 1 2020

Dr. Deborah Brix
NY Gov Andrew Cuomo
Congressional Democrats
FL Gov Ron DeSantis
Dr. Anthony Fauci
MD Gov Larry Hogan
WA Gov Jay Inslee
CA Gov Gavin Newsom
Vice President Mike Pence
Congressional Republicans
President Donald Trump
MI Gov Gretchen Whitmer
TX Gov Greg Abbott
GA Gov Brian Kemp

Last edited:

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
I think my Governor, Governor Inslee has handled the situation in this state very professionally. A little slow to order stay at home, but not compared to just about anywhere not on the west coast, ahead of the game. It was first noticed here in January, but not identified until it had spread unfortunately to a nursing home facility. We flattened the curb. I'll give him a B+. Snake though he may be. :)

Reactions: skyking

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Mine

Dr. Deborah Brix B C
Spends way too much time kissing Trump's ass. She's gotten worse.

NY Gov Andrew Cuomo A-
Epitome of Presidential class leadership

Congressional Democrats B+
They acted responsibly at all times. Occasional tried to slip in non-related funding into legislation

FL Gov Ron DeSantis F
Complete turd. He's the one who almost talked Trump into quarantining NY. Somehow he got all his equipment when more needy states are short. Florida slipping into panic mode. Refused to mandate masks. Opened too soon

Dr. Anthony Fauci A-
Countries savior. Great communicator. Very savvy at managing Trump. Too bad he has to waste effort on Trump. Lately missing in action.

MD Gov Larry Hogan A-
Head of Governors Assoc. Done a great job at organizing that group. No change

WA Gov Jay Inslee B+
He's been vocal in pushing Trump in doing things the Fed should be responsible for. No change

CA Gov Gavin Newsom B-
Next to NY has the biggest job in the country and handled it well. California is backsliding a bit

Vice President Mike Pence D.
Just a kiss ass however the only one in the White House who seems to be getting anything done. Still a potted plant.

Congressional Republicans F
Almost bad as Trump. Not concerned for the average worker just the corporations. Useless. No leadership provided.

President Donald Trump F
Enough said in this forum. Only reason not an F is he finally do something. Now he trying to ignore it while the country is spiking

MI Gov Gretchen Whitmer B
Unfortunately spends too much energy fighting with Trump. Not her fault. No change

Last edited:

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Mine

Dr. Deborah Brix B
NY Gov Andrew Cuomo A+
Congressional Democrats B+
FL Gov Ron DeSantis D-
Dr. Anthony Fauci A++
MD Gov Larry Hogan A-
WA Gov Jay Inslee B+
CA Gov Gavin Newsom B+
Vice President Mike Pence C-
Congressional Republicans D
President Donald Trump D-
MI Gov Gretchen Whitmer B

I’m curious why you think Cuomo gets a better grade than newsom?

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Degree of difficulty and the way he communicates to the nation. Calm, honesty, reassurance with confidence. He projects he knows what he is doing. Nothing against GN.

Reactions: ivwshane

Gabe323

Apr 29, 2002
Newsom does daily briefings and takes questions from the press over the phone so he gets an A+ from me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Letter grades. Listed in alphabetical order to make unbiased. Grade as of Wed April 1 2020

Dr. Deborah Brix - A
Credible expertise and complementary to Dr. Fauci

NY Gov Andrew Cuomo - B+
Good daily briefings but mobilized late and a lot of initial confusion and missed opportunities to assertively contain the virus. Seems to be auditioning for higher office.

Congressional Democrats - C
Clueless as usual

FL Gov Ron DeSantis - B
Raising awareness of people selfishly leaving from hot spots to unaffected areas, but like all governors, mobilized late

Dr. Anthony Fauci - A+++
He is the hero of our response

MD Gov Larry Hogan - B
WA Gov Jay Inslee - C
CA Gov Gavin Newsom - B
MA Gov Charlie Baker - B+
Pretty much every governor sits in the same spectrum, some better than others. Added Charlie Baker.

Vice President Mike Pence - B
I expect he is the reason that Dr. Fauci has such a prominent role

Congressional Republicans - C
Clueless as usual

President Donald Trump - B-
His style is divisive but I also kind of get his desire to put a positive spin

MI Gov Gretchen Whitmer - B

The American People - D
Very easy to monday morning quarterback a crisis. People need to stop being selfish and shelter in place.

Last edited:

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Dr. Deborah Brix - A

NY Gov Andrew Cuomo - B+
Good daily briefings but mobilized late and a lot of initial confusion and missed opportunities to assertively contain the virus. Seems to be auditioning for higher office.

Clueless as usual

FL Gov Ron DeSantis - B
Raising awareness of people selfishly leaving from hot spots to unaffected areas, but like all governors, mobilized late

Dr. Anthony Fauci - A+++

MD Gov Larry Hogan - B
WA Gov Jay Inslee - C
CA Gov Gavin Newsom - B
Pretty much every governor sits in the same spectrum, some better than others. Added Charlie Baker.

Clueless as usual

The American People - D
Very easy to monday morning quarterback a crisis. People need to stop being selfish and shelter in place.
What F do you know about Inslee. Trump clue you in?

Keep showing your true colors.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
I like how you think trump is doing better than congress and how you think republicans, who wanted to bail out corporations are the same as democrats who wanted to help actual people.

I also like how you gave baker a b+ and newsom a b despite newsom declaring a state of emergency and issuing a quarantine order before baker. A B which you gave Pence for your gut feeling that he’s the one letting fauci speak the truth.

I think a better question would be how do you think your state is doing and maybe how certain people in the federal government are doing.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
I like how you think trump is doing better than congress and how you think republicans, who wanted to bail out corporations are the same as democrats who wanted to help actual people.

I also like how you gave baker a b+ and newsom a b despite newsom declaring a state of emergency and issuing a quarantine order before baker. A B which you gave Pence for your gut feeling that he’s the one letting fauci speak the truth.

I think a better question would be how do you think your state is doing and maybe how certain people in the federal government are doing.
Guess.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013

He shouldn't. NY didn't lock down until a week after we did in CA, and at the time CA did it's lockdown, NY was already worse off.

CA has far fewer cases and deaths per capita than the national average. Newsome gets an A+ here. Cuomo gets a B+ only because he's been good since they finally locked down.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
I think my Governor, Governor Inslee has handled the situation in this state very professionally. A little slow to order stay at home, but not compared to just about anywhere not on the west coast, ahead of the game. It was first noticed here in January, but not identified until it had spread unfortunately to a nursing home facility. We flattened the curb. I'll give him a B+. Snake though he may be. :)
He was pushing social distancing and addressing the public the week before, but the results were mixed. Even though technically the stay at home order was later, the groundwork and public perceptions were primed. Inslee has been solid. The state DOH website has been shit since Friday, however. It's embarrassing. Really sucks that it's an MS app populating the chart with days-old info.

Reactions: hal2kilo

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
He shouldn't. NY didn't lock down until a week after we did in CA, and at the time CA did it's lockdown, NY was already worse off.

CA has far fewer cases and deaths per capita than the national average. Newsome gets an A+ here. Cuomo gets a B+ only because he's been good since they finally locked down.
agreed. His slow start was really bad. Kept schools open way too late.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
He was pushing social distancing and addressing the public the week before, but the results were mixed. Even though technically the stay at home order was later, the groundwork and public perceptions were primed. Inslee has been solid. The state DOH website has been shit since Friday, however. It's embarrassing. Really sucks that it's an MS app populating the chart with days-old info.
Yea, people were already self isolating voluntarily. Not sure if I trust the testing numbers at this point also. Maybe, just can't get tests processed. With it hitting the nursing home, and all those deaths showing up very quickly, people had the fear of death defining their behaviors.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Dr. Deborah Brix C+ she kisses to much ass
NY Gov Andrew Cuomo I give this man 1 A- but once he was all in, he is a good example for others
Congressional Democrats -- sorry but B
FL Gov Ron DeSantis -- D
Dr. Anthony Fauci - A +++++++
MD Gov Larry Hogan --B+
WA Gov Jay Inslee -- B+
CA Gov Gavin Newsom A You know a majority of the anti vaxxers are in his state!
Vice President Mike Pence -- B+
Congressional Republicans -- a C --- at best, because it took them so long to split from Trumps wacky take on this virus
President Donald Trump -- Now this is a hard one do we give him points for his possible chenge of heart over the last week?? Okay I give him a F, it could have been an F----

Last edited:

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
they got overwhelmed by the testing data and the site has been useless since the 28th. They were (rightly) tracking all the negative tests.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Dr. Deborah Brix - A

Hahahaha and if Trump was the President during WW2, would he be trying to put a positive sp[in on the Nazi death camps........

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
He is doing better than Congress

I also like how you gave baker a b+ and newsom a b despite newsom declaring a state of emergency and issuing a quarantine order before baker.
Baker’s approach has been calm, measured and without political posturing, so he gets a better grade.

A B which you gave Pence for your gut feeling that he’s the one letting fauci speak the truth.
Can’t have it both ways. A czar should consult and trust recognized experts, which Pence is doing no matter how badly your TDS is itching.

I think states and the federal government exist in a federalist arrangement, where each complement one another. I think across the board, leaders at all levels are responding as best they can to a global pandemic. There will be plenty of time for hindsight after we get through the current situation.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
they got overwhelmed by the testing data and the site has been useless since the 28th. They were (rightly) tracking all the negative tests.
Yea, they admitted that the website is overwhelmed and are running behind. Tacoma was sitting on a thousand test kits left over from when they did their big first responders drive up testing. They were waiting on word from FEMA about what to do with them. FEMA finally got back to them (1 week) and said they could allocate them how they wanted locally. Oye!.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Yea, they admitted that the website is overwhelmed and are running behind. Tacoma was sitting on a thousand test kits left over from when they did their big first responders drive up testing. They were waiting on word from FEMA about what to do with them. FEMA finally got back to them (1 week) and said they could allocate them how they wanted locally. Oye!.
Yeah!! FEMA now there is a win win.....lol

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
let's face it, 1000 tests is a drop in the rainstorm. We need 100K tests to bracket this virus here.

Feb 16, 2005
Dr. Deborah Brix - (F), she completely caved to trump and sacrificed any credibility going forward

NY Gov Andrew Cuomo - (B) Everything I've read he's been a solid leader through this situation.

Congressional Democrats -- (C) Mediocre to good, they should be pinning trump to the wall over this and not let up for one minute
FL Gov Ron DeSantis - (F) This fucker can fuck the fuck off
Dr. Anthony Fauci - (B+ and a purple heart) This guy has done his damnedest to get the info out there all the while dodging bullshit shrapnel spewed from trump on a daily basis
MD Gov Larry Hogan - unknown
WA Gov Jay Inslee - unknown
CA Gov Gavin Newsom - (B) Another person who is taking it seriously and not being shy about it.
Vice President Mike Pence (F-) aaahh hahahahahahahahahahahaha, fuck him
Congressional Republicans (D-) - making sure the billionaires don't suffer in this time of trouble, fucking fuckers
President Donald Trump - (F- and detention for 6 months) fuck him, all of his missteps, lies, gaslighting, blaming others, he's shit
MI Gov Gretchen Whitmer - uknown

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Dr. Deborah Brix - A

NY Gov Andrew Cuomo - B+

Clueless as usual

FL Gov Ron DeSantis - B

Dr. Anthony Fauci - A+++

MD Gov Larry Hogan - B
WA Gov Jay Inslee - C
CA Gov Gavin Newsom - B

Clueless as usual

The American People - D
I give the minority of the American people for electing Trump - F

Trump is doing such a god job he congratulated Pence yesterday, talking for 5 minutes any not answering the question.

The question was "why are you not opening up the healthcare.gov exchanges to help bridge the insurance coverage gap for those who do not have private insurance and who do not qualify for Medicaid."

Because people don't really need to know that.

Last edited:

dphantom

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2005
Dr. Deborah Brix A
NY Gov Andrew Cuomo B-
Congressional Democrats D
FL Gov Ron DeSantis C
Dr. Anthony Fauci A-
MD Gov Larry Hogan unknown
WA Gov Jay Inslee B
CA Gov Gavin Newsom B-
Vice President Mike Pence A-
Congressional Republicans C
President Donald Trump B
MI Gov Gretchen Whitmer D

grades will change as the situation continues to unfold.
arm chair everyone is an expert. In the midst of a very rapidly evolving situation, quick action is often better than a perfect decision made too late.