GPU Upgrade on OLD PC

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ZGR

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2012
OP, I am not familiar with Romania regarding the CPU market.

Look for used i5's and i7's and you may be able to build a cheap build that can run these games. even the old FX 83XX will run circles around your current CPU.

If you want a new AMD CPU, you will have to wait for Zen.

Even laptops may be worth looking into. The last few years have been good for 1366x768 displays, letting mid range laptop cards max that resolution out at 60fps for cheap.

Good luck!
Edit: Or keep your pc as is and get an Xbox One or PS4

mihalyk2000

Oct 27, 2016
This gone too far...i tested those games whit old gpu, and i had avg 30 (on gta v) . I know that you don't believe me, but eh... I'm mainly playing e-sport games, valve games, gta v and maybe some others, not cpu heavy games, this is why this cpu is acceptable now FOR ME... Esport games run on 75+ fps, soo..
Ps: no, i will not come back after buying that gpu cuz i don't get nice fps...

Mar 10, 2006
This gone too far...i tested those games whit old gpu, and i had avg 30 (on gta v) . I know that you don't believe me, but eh... I'm mainly playing e-sport games, valve games, gta v and maybe some others, not cpu heavy games, this is why this cpu is acceptable now FOR ME... Esport games run on 75+ fps, soo..
Ps: no, i will not come back after buying that gpu cuz i don't get nice fps...

Hey, if you've got it all figured out and you're happy, then that's great :)

We are just trying to help you, but you've ultimately got to do what you want to do. Happy gaming!

Reactions: mihalyk2000

mihalyk2000

Oct 27, 2016
I appreciate all the help, but my question was: CPU will bottleneck those gpus, and i got as respons that: buy new pc and so on....

Mar 10, 2006
I appreciate all the help, but my question was: CPU will bottleneck those gpus, and i got as respons that: buy new pc and so on....

The short answer is that even a 7770 will be bottlenecked by an Athlon 6000+. But you are convinced that you're all set and that a new system isn't worthwhile so who are we to argue? :)

Leyawiin

Diamond Member
Nov 11, 2008
I would shop for a used GPU. For an old PC like that I'd get an Nvidia card too. The driver overhead (CPU load) for DX11 games on back is lower with Nvidia. Doesn't matter with a new PC, but definitely does with an old, weak one. Maybe a used GTX 650? I would just have a hard time buying new for a collection of vintage hardware, but that's just me.

Xeox01

Nov 30, 2016
Sorry guys i'm new on this forum and i don't know how to open a new thread but nevermind i want to ask you something
I know this gpus are old but which is better AMD Radeon HD 5500 1GB or Nvidia geforce 9600gt 1gb ?

Bacon1

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2016
Sorry guys i'm new on this forum and i don't know how to open a new thread but nevermind i want to ask you something
I know this gpus are old but which is better AMD Radeon HD 5500 1GB or Nvidia geforce 9600gt 1gb ?

Unless you already own either of those, don't spend money on them. They are both very out of date.

Reactions: Arachnotronic

Headfoot

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2008

The answer is yes. That CPU (and platform altogether) will heavily bottleneck any modern gpu including the 7700. I would agree with the others and get an nVidia card if you are using that CPU for the overhead difference.