GPU transcode for RAGE only works on Nvidia GPU's

Discussion in 'Video Cards and Graphics' started by tviceman, Oct 4, 2011.

1. tviceman

tviceman Diamond Member

I'm not sure if this is a well known fact, as I just learned this moments ago. I don't have the direct source, so I'm just going to quote the information and provide a link to where the info was given.

full post can be read here: http://www.shacknews.com/chatty?id=26824104#item_26824104 When the OP replies to where he got the information, I will update this post.

UPDATE: The OP says he works for Nvidia and the statement about transcoding is his own words. He said he did not specifically work on the code (he works in developer relations department). He has a long post history and is a trusted member of that community so I believe everything he says.

#1 tviceman, Oct 4, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
  2. GotNoRice

GotNoRice Senior member

Since this seems to have been developed with consoles in mind, and consoles can't do CUDA, I'm not particularly worried.

3. Lonbjerg

Lonbjerg Diamond Member

Not the first game to use CUDA...and it won't be the last *shrugs*

That is what happens when 1 player (NVIDIA) pushes GPGPU...while the other sits and wait for others to do something about GPGPU...

4. badb0y

badb0y Diamond Member

Yea it's like the second.

5. Lonbjerg

Lonbjerg Diamond Member

No it's not, PhysX runs via CUDA on the GPU also.

6. blackened23

blackened23 Diamond Member

7. notty22

notty22 Diamond Member

8. MarkLuvsCS

MarkLuvsCS Senior member

WOW that is some terrible texture loading. I'm really hoping AMD can release some new drivers to fix it, otherwise O_O.

9. blackened23

blackened23 Diamond Member

The texture pop problem has been fixed, see the other thread regarding this

10. Attic

Attic Diamond Member

GPU Transcode is available and I believe working on 280.26 official drivers. I'm getting almost no texture pop.

11. n0x1ous

n0x1ous Platinum Member

i was getting mild texture pop in the opening sequences but after getting out on the ATV for the first time it is essentially gone. SLI is not working with newest 285.38 beta drivers. GPU usage is only around 50-60 % on my GTX260 running at 1080p with 2xAA and GPU transcode enabled. The transcode is apparently running on my 3rd GPU which hovers around 30% usage.

Textures dont look to good to me overall but draw distance and character models are highly detailed and the game is fun IMHO. But the problem is, is i dont even know if im getting the best visuals the game has to offer since the engine "decides" for me what level of quality i get. I really hope we can get some graphical options without having to hack about in the console too much.

12. Lonbjerg

Lonbjerg Diamond Member

http://www.dsogaming.com/editorial/rage-pc-how-to-adjust-some-graphical-settings/