GPU Temp And CPU Temp

x2 3600 rules sazakky

May 11, 2007
For some reason, when I OC my CPU to 2.9ghz from 2.2ghz, my gpu idle temp increases from about 50-52 degrees celsius to about 58-60 degrees. Is that normal or unusual.
My CPU temp increase by about 20-30 degress in idle temp.

mpilchfamily

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2007
Yes OCing does increase the CPU temps quite fast. Thats why you have to get a nice cooler when you plan to OC. Often to stabalize an OC you have to increase the Vcore. This alone will drasticly increase temps. So the lower you can keep the vcore the lower your temps will be.

x2 3600 rules sazakky

May 11, 2007
i know all that stuff man. i'm not a basic or anything.
yes, i did increase my vcore by about .1 volt.

BUT I DONT GET WHY IT AFFECTS MY GPU TEMP SO MUCH

IS IT MY PSU

ultimahwhat

Aug 13, 2008
i dunno. maybe your cpu OC is causing your gpu load to increase (faster cpu can send more info to the gpu)? i've never really checked gpu temps pre/post cpu overclocking.

mpilchfamily

Diamond Member
Jun 11, 2007
More voltage means higher temps.

The pathways threw a CPU and GPU are very small. The more voltage you put threw them the more they heat up. The reason you have to increase the Vcore to stablize an OC is a higher voltage is able to supply more amperage. That current is what mainly creates the heat. Think of current like how fast you rub your hands together. The fast you rub them or the more current running threw the CPU the more heat that is generated. Try this little exsperament to show proof of concept.

You will need a 9V battery and any other 1.5V battery like an AA, AAA, C, or D cell. You also need the spring form a clicking pen. Using the paperclip shout one of the 1.5V batteries and feel how hot the spring gets. Now short the 9V and you will feel it getts much hotter. This is a nice way to make a portible heater thow long term use may blow up the battery. Now if you do the same things with a good thick peice of wire you will find it doesn't heat up as much. But the wire will heat up more with the 9V then the 1.5V battery.

Hauk

Platinum Member
Nov 22, 2001
I'd guess it's due to slightly higher ambient case temps. You're running a mini tower case with a single 120mm exaust fan. Try that fan on high or remove side panel and see if gpu temp returns to 50-52 degree range.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Originally posted by: SteelSix
I'd guess it's due to slightly higher ambient case temps. You're running a mini tower case with a single 120mm exaust fan. Try that fan on high or remove side panel and see if gpu temp returns to 50-52 degree range.

Seconded. ^

Ambient case temps affect all components in the case. Better case airflow is the remedy.

Kraeoss

Jul 31, 2008
Originally posted by: SteelSix

^^what he said. it is true that the extra heat given off by the cpu can cause an ambient heat increase inside ur case. just make sure no cables are blocking the airflow inside the case. opening the side panel attracts more dust but is a good measure if u dont have that much fans/ cooling

imported_apocalypse

Aug 27, 2008
Its probably higher case temps. Test it out by opening your case, maybe even point a portable fan at your open case. Your GPU temps should return to normal.

x2 3600 rules sazakky

May 11, 2007
I've noticed recently that some things seriously wrong with either my mobo or cpu. yesterday morning i turned my comp on and the cpu was about 24 degrees, and then 1 hour later again i turned my comp on and my cpu temp was 34 degrees. wtf.
i'm not sure whats wrong though.
i think my mobo volt regulator is wrecked or something

bob4432

Lifer
Sep 6, 2003
you gpu temps are still fine for the 4850 so if you can't change much in the airflow i wouldn't worry about it.

but, fwiw, i use to run a ea380 psu w/ my rig - e2160@3GHz, 3GB ddr2-667, 4850 @ 700/1150, 1x15k scsi, 1x 7.2k sata, 1x dvd-rw on a p35 based gigabyte board and my kill-a-watt recorded over 300W pull from the wall. i started to have stability issues so i found a deal on a ea650 (imho too much but the price was right) and now i am actually pulling less from the wall and the machine is much more stable. before the psu wap i was ~620/1050 on the 4850, so the 380 may be contributing to the issue. i am not a fan of "over psuing" but for the $$ i paid for the ea650 i couldn't pass it up, would have rather gone for a 500 or so and was actually surprised that the ea380 had issues, but those are my real world results.

also, have you done any firmware update to the 4850 for heat? i know the one i had had the fan issue so it didn't come on until 69C, after i modded the 4850 firmware and set it the way i like. i personally liked this over the different profile so now the fan is still dynamic the way it is suppose to be and runs ~40% most of the time, when gaming it will run higher to about 70C or so but it is much better than before.

x2 3600 rules sazakky

May 11, 2007
I think my mobo has a volt problems. Its weird as my card is hitting about 90 degrees on load even with the fan at 42%.
A few weeks ago, it would hit about 60 degrees.Theres a serious problem