GPU/SPU for GNU Linux

Anteaus

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2010
I'm building a new PC and my intent is to maximize compatibility with GNU/Linux. I'm trying to avoid using non-free software. I've seen the compatibility lists but one thing that it doesn't convey is how a various component, even if compatible, will perform using the open source drivers. For example, I have a Nvidia GTX 1070 in my gaming PC and have used it with Linux, but performance is absolutely terrible with the free driver. I have similar complaints about my sound card. My Creative X-FI has zero support, and on-board Realtek has been hit and miss. Ubuntu 16.04 didn't even properly detect the on-board sound, and used an incorrect driver causing all sorts of strife. I would love a hardware setup that GNU/Linux will have no problems detecting and utilizing with a clean install. I've checked System76 to check what hardware they are using, but it appears they rely on non-free drivers for their system.

Sooo, I am asking for opinions or maybe some experiences on this topic. Can anyone recommend a particular combination of GPU and sound card that has decent GNU support? Compatibility lists only tell part of the story, and quality of life is more important than bleeding edge to me with this machine.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Have you tried other distros or newer versions of Ubuntu such as 18.04? You may have to settle for using non-free drivers for best performance. I use Manjaro and everything works out of the box when installed.

Anteaus

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2010
Have you tried other distros or newer versions of Ubuntu such as 18.04? You may have to settle for using non-free drivers for best performance. I use Manjaro and everything works out of the box when installed.

What hardware are you using? The machine I want to build is intended to be a test case for myself...i want to see if it's actually possible to exist within the GNU world and walk the walk. Using non-free drivers is the opposite of what I'm trying to achieve. I appreciate the advice in any case.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Core i5-4670
16GB DDR3-1600 memory
2 1TB SSDs
Geforce 970
Dell 30" 2560x1600 display

No problem running Linux, and yes I use non-free drivers. I also have non-free games from Steam and GoG.com as well.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
What do you plan to actually *do* with a "pure" FOSS build? Will it just sit there existing in a state of cleanliness?

If you plan to run anything on it that is unclean or impure such as Google Chrome, you might as well use manufacturer drivers as well.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
What do you plan to actually *do* with a "pure" FOSS build? Will it just sit there existing in a state of cleanliness?

If you plan to run anything on it that is unclean or impure such as Google Chrome, you might as well use manufacturer drivers as well.
Does anyone aside from RMS actually run a completey pure FOSS system?

Anteaus

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2010
I've said in earlier posts, this is a test machine. I want to see how viable a FOSS machine would be with my own usage. That would exclude software like Chrome. I'm using Debian Mate right now with good success

I appreciate the advice, but the practicality of using such a system was not part of my original inquiry and therefore isn't relevant.

However, I digress. The availability of close-source drivers is based solely on the charity of the companies who write them, whereas FOSS drivers exist as a sort of relay race, where one group might contribute today and another tomorrow. The drivers might never be as good as their close-sourced counterpart, but they won't be susceptible to the prerogative of capitalism.

I have zero problems with people using all or part of closed-sourced software, whether it be via Windows, Mac, or Linux, but I would like to see if it is at least reasonable to run pure FOSS without too much compromise.

I like that companies like System76 and Purism exist, and support what they are trying to do.

mv2devnull

Golden Member
Apr 13, 2010
For example, I have a Nvidia GTX 1070 in my gaming PC and have used it with Linux, but performance is absolutely terrible with the free driver. I have similar complaints about my sound card. My Creative X-FI has zero support, and on-board Realtek has been hit and miss.
Is there a sound card that no user complains about lack of proper drivers? If vendor's proprietary are so and so, then expectations for FOSS are not high, are they?

Terrible performance is still better than none at all. (Side note: RHEL 7.5 has Wayland as Tech Preview. Functions with noveau, but not with Nvidia's proprietary drivers.) Thus, for GPU (or IGP), what is the required level of performance?

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Is there a sound card that no user complains about lack of proper drivers? If vendor's proprietary are so and so, then expectations for FOSS are not high, are they?

Terrible performance is still better than none at all. (Side note: RHEL 7.5 has Wayland as Tech Preview. Functions with noveau, but not with Nvidia's proprietary drivers.) Thus, for GPU (or IGP), what is the required level of performance?
I don't know about the OP use case but speaking for myself, I'm a gamer and have a GeForce 970 so I do need to use Nvidia proprietary drivers if I want to play my games.

Anteaus

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2010

Target performance is basic desktop use with multimedia extensions for websites. On my 5820K, Noveau works pretty well at 1080P on my GTX1070, but there is huge amount of GPU power being left on the table. Maybe you are right that expectations for FOSS are pretty high, but if that is the case then what do we really want as users. For myself, I would prefer it to be more than simply be "not Microsoft". I know that most Linux users tend to be quite pragmatic about their workstations.

I agree with whm1974 as far as gaming goes. For the purpose of my pure FOSS question, I don't think gaming is a reasonable goal at this point and I'm not chasing that. I have another computer for that purpose.

I would just like to have one machine in my stable that has an operating system and support software that just works, and isn't trying to force me down some sort of path. I know that seems a bit idealist, but I think sometimes it's ok to be that way sometimes. In a world where some people are trying to ban encryption and force us to use compromised close-sourced software that only sees us as possible revenue streams, I'm just trying to find an alternative. Closed-source aren't necessarily evil, but I think they are representative of that world and I'd sooner leave them out if it was an option. Rant over.

Anteaus

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2010

ancient pedant

Jun 30, 2018
My Creative X-FI has zero support

Compile your own kernel, starting with the .config from the shipping one you are using. Add modules soundcore, snd and snd_ctxfi, recompile and install. I might have missed a bit there, but soundcore is what it sounds like, and the snd* stuff is Alsa. It's all in the kernel sources.

Also, doesn't your GPU have a sound chip in it? I use my ctxfi, but I'm pretty sure my 1060 has an audio device, per lspci.

I will chime in about the proprietary Nvidia drivers, as well. You can't have your cake and eat it too. If you want performance, that's the way to go, otherwise, nouveau works quite well.

Time to choose...