GPU recommendation: quiet, 2-3 2560x1440 displays, and UEFI support

KingGheedora

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2006
My req's:

- Support UEFI GOP (for ultra fast boot with win 8).
- Support 2x 2560x1440 displays at minimum, 3x would be even nicer.
- Quieter than my PowerColor HD6950.

I don't play any games really, maybe some SCII once or twice a year. I write code, and the 2d performance matters a lot to me. I hate seeing choppy animation while dragging windows around, scrolling really fast through web pages, etc. Nowadays if you care about 2D, I think you need decent 3D because even my browsers and the Visual Studio IDE use GPU acceleration.

Would rather not have to obtain some obscure UEFI firmware and flash it myself, but can do so if necessary.

Budget is $100-$200, but I understand my requirements are very specific so I have to choose from what's available.

Zardnok

Sep 21, 2004
The only thing I can think of that comes even close to your price range and power needs would be a 7950. They come with 3 free games, but require rebates to get under your $200 ceiling. UEFI GOP would require a modded bios, but a quick google search shows many which can be downloaded for free.

I wouldn't trust anything less than a 7950 to drive that many pixels and might even be inclined to spend the extra for a 7970.