GPU Fit

Berne

Feb 16, 2010
Hi,
Will the Rad X1650 PRO PCI EXP 512MB GPU fit? I dont know enough about the fittings of PCI GPU's. The board ( Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L ) has got a PCI Exp 16 slot...will this GPU fit into it?

I hope so,

Regards,

Berne:hmm:

CurseTheSky

Diamond Member
Oct 21, 2006
Yes. A PCI-E card is a PCI-E card. You just want to stay away from PCI (non-express) and AGP cards.

There are different PCI-E slots, such as shorter X1, X4, and X8 slots; generally you want to avoid these as PCI-E X16 slots have the highest bandwidth and thus offer the greatest performance from your graphics card. Here's a picture for reference. I heard that X16 devices will work fine in X8 and smaller slots, though their performance will be lessened. I haven't tried this myself, but again, from what I've heard, they will physically fit.

There are also different PCI-E versions: 1.0, 1.1, 2.0, and 2.1 (with 3.0 coming up in a year or two). Newer versions offer higher bandwidth (IIRC, PCI-E X16 1.0 is equivalent in bandwidth to PCI-E X8 2.0), but this shouldn't be a concern unless you're using some of the latest and greatest graphics cards. Newer cards are backwards compatible with older slots, and vice versa. So a PCI-E 1.0 graphics card will work fine in a PCI-E 2.0 slot.

Finally, if you're new to PCI-E or graphics cards in general, remember that there is a small tab at the end of the slot which locks your card into place. You'll need to push this tab in order to remove the graphics card when it's time.

Last edited:

Berne

Feb 16, 2010
Hi Curethesky,
It now seems this particular card will fit my new motherboard, thank you for your time and advice. Im now much more savvy on PCI.

Regards,

Berne:)