GPU Fan Speed Advice

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
I'm not sure where I read it, but sometimes you will see it advised to run GPU fans at 100%, or close to it, because the cooler temps make the GPU more power efficient. This is true, but lately I have also noticed that it's not often possible to find replacement fans for any given GPU. So if the card is meant to have a fairly long life cycle, it might be better to run the fans at a slower speed in hopes of extending their service life, which is what I currently do. Each card is different, but each one seems to have a point of diminishing returns where fan speed becomes excessive for the amount of extra cooling provided. I don't seem to find it necessary to run even the hottest cards at more than 75% fan speed in most instances, though.

So how about my fellow DCers, do you just max out your fans, or try to find a happy medium?

TennesseeTony

Elite Member
Aug 2, 2003
www.google.com
Happy medium.

I try to run my cards about 7-15C under 'max' temperature. Left to the factory settings, both the GTX 9-series and 10-series will run up to 80-82C, whereas the AMD R9-280X's will run up to 98C :)eek:).

I use MSI Afterburner to create custom fan profiles, and typically the non-blower fans run 60-75% on GTX, 70-85% on R9-280X. My profile is typically very linear, for the GTX's 40C=40% and 75C=75%, from there it skyrockets quickly to 100% over the next 5C.

This post has reminded me to check my temps...and I need to adjust my profile for the FE-1080's, running upper 70's at 75%. ;) Eh, it's freaking hot in here, maybe I should just bump the thermostat.

Due to the nearly 24-7, 8 year lifespan of my HD4850, single slot with a blower running 105watts, and the numerous failures I've experienced with 'normal' fans, I don't fear running the blowers at 100% if need be. But I'm tired of things like the pic below. ;)

20uu7mo.jpg

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
The interesting thing about blower cards is that with the right case airflow management, you can enhance flow through the card quite a bit.

It's funny that you depict an XFX (280x?), I was just sold one that had the fans literally falling apart. I had to return it because the seller would not agree to a partial refund, but the incident served to educate me on the poor availability of replacement fans!

iwajabitw

Aug 19, 2014
All of my cards are MSI with the Twin Frozr fans on them. I leave them set at 90% all the time. I like Afterburners custom graph for setting your own fan speeds, but I found in the systems with the dual cards its better to keep both at the same speed to try and keep that bottom card cooler so, not so much heat rises up to the top card.
Currently the:
Dual GTX980's on Einstien are 62 & 79C (No side case fan)
Dual R9 280x's on MW are 62 & 84C (running 2 tasks, 3 put the top card up to 99C, with a side case fan the other day)
Single R9 280x with custom profile similar to Tony's hits about 78C. (Running 3 tasks and side case fan)

I wish my Enthoo Pro M the 980's are in had a side fan. I may end up cutting the plexi window and mounting a 120mm with a screen. For now I have 2 old Sunon 60mm fans mounted as exhausts by the cards where the water cooling reservoir would mount. They turn about 4500 rpm on max. I keep them setup in bios as Silent with a custom graph if the CPU gets over 65C they spin up and push a ton of extra air out. But oh my are they LOUD.