GPU fan control/noise

SeVeRaNCE

Nov 29, 2000
i recently purchased a EVGA 7900GT and i have noticed there what seems to be 3 fan levels. 1 idle, 2 kicks when i load certain game screens or applications, then the 3rd and final one kicks while actually rendering a game. Its so noisy i want to cut my ears off.

What i dont understand is if im in the game and i alt tab or hold the window of the game the noise stops completely. but the fan as far as i can tell isnt downshifting rpms or anything.

Im curious how this is programmed and works. can you change or modify this at all.

i know the mobo controls the cpu fan like that, but i didnt see any settings in there for that

Powermoloch

Lifer
Jul 5, 2005
Meh...it's normal if the card is on 2d mode...the fan just hits only @ 30 % fan speed. But as it hits 3dmode/low3dmode then you hear a definite difference on the fan noise...right @ 60 %. You can download rivatuner, it's a program that can help you adjust the fan speed. If you're not even satisfied, just grab a 3rd party cooler and slap it in there.

SeVeRaNCE

Nov 29, 2000
ok thanks i understand now, i think. I dl'd rivatuner and was messing with the 3d performance tab, i tried decreasing the fan setting hashes and i dont think it actually worked. everything still was full blast and noisy :(