GPU driver crashing with CPU stress test

spat55

Jul 2, 2013
This is really weird I thought it was either bad RAM or CPU overclock so running CPU @2.2GHZ and RAM @800mhz and still getting this issue, I can run IBT with the same voltages with 4.3GHZ on CPU and 1600mhz RAM but it still crashes? I can game fine but when I stress the CPU in a synthetic benchmark it makes the GPU driver crash.

Sorry if I'm rambling but it doesn't make sense...

spat55

Jul 2, 2013
Going to try and uninstall the driver with Guru DDU and reinstall it.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
It can crash due to applications that query the driver and doesn't release it in time.

spat55

Jul 2, 2013
It can crash due to applications that query the driver and doesn't release it in time.

Any way I can fix it? I'm redownloading the driver now and going to uninstall it, if that doesn't work I'll run memtest86 for a few hours. I've noticed some very slightly lockups sometimes too.

I have seen that the GPU power in HWinfo gets faded out when it crashes but I think that has to do with it dis engaging then re engaging

spat55

Jul 2, 2013
Remove any 3rd party applications that does it, if you have any installed.

Well I've just reinstalled the driver and it's still doing it, always at the exact same place in CPU-Z bench. I've tried closing MSI Afterburner and setting back to stock settings too.

ShintaiDK

Lifer
Apr 22, 2012
Well I've just reinstalled the driver and it's still doing it, always at the exact same place in CPU-Z bench. I've tried closing MSI Afterburner and setting back to stock settings too.

If CPU-Z bench is your only issue, I would ignore it :)

And it does query your graphics driver. Its more likely a bug in CPU-Z.

Closing an application may not be enough.

spat55

Jul 2, 2013
If CPU-Z bench is your only issue, I would ignore it :)

And it does query your graphics driver. Its more likely a bug in CPU-Z.

Closing an application may not be enough.

If it was just CPU-Z I would be it also does it under LinX after some time, I just want my PC to be 100% stable :D

Just read that some other people have been having issues with Nvidia drivers crashing so hopefully it's just a dud driver.

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
There's a point during the CPU-Z benchmark (part-way through the multi-threaded run), that it shuts off my internet radio in the background, because it consumes pretty-much 100% of the cpu cycles on the box. Maybe this is the issue, and the GPU driver doesn't like being CPU-starved?

spat55

Jul 2, 2013
There's a point during the CPU-Z benchmark (part-way through the multi-threaded run), that it shuts off my internet radio in the background, because it consumes pretty-much 100% of the cpu cycles on the box. Maybe this is the issue, and the GPU driver doesn't like being CPU-starved?

Possibly, I haven't noticed this issue in any games so I should be good, just slightly concerning.