GPU dead?

maddogmcgee

Apr 20, 2015
I have been using a GTX 970 with a Arctic Cooler for a few years now. Last night my computer suddenly died and long story short, it's the 970. None of my computers start when it is plugged in and powered.

Usually I would take this as a sign from god to upgrade but a quick look at graphics cards prices shows they are still insane, so I would like to do everything I can to save the card.

1. I checked the caps and they all look fine
2. I have cleaned the dust off
3. I am going to clean the thermal paste that has leaked a little

Anything else I should be doing before I put it back together?

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I have been using a GTX 970 with a Arctic Cooler for a few years now. Last night my computer suddenly died and long story short, it's the 970. None of my computers start when it is plugged in and powered.

Usually I would take this as a sign from god to upgrade but a quick look at graphics cards prices shows they are still insane, so I would like to do everything I can to save the card.

1. I checked the caps and they all look fine
2. I have cleaned the dust off
3. I am going to clean the thermal paste that has leaked a little

Anything else I should be doing before I put it back together?

That's about all you can do. It's tough to say what died on your card. It could be the VRAM, GPU, etc.

And if you catch a good sale, most GPUs are at least back near what they sold for before the mining frenzy hit, but it also depends on what GPU you are looking at.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
Few years?

Perhaps still under warranty?

daveybrat

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jan 31, 2000
It's probably time to start shopping for a new card. For you, i'd be looking at a GTX 1060 6GB, a GTX 1070, or a GTX 1070Ti as a replacement.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

maddogmcgee

Apr 20, 2015
Thanks for the replies. I will give it a go now just in case.

In regards to warranty, I am fairly sure its finished already, plus I don't know if I even kept the stock fan...

I was hoping to wait for a mining crash before getting a new card , the 1070 looks like the cheapest option that will still be a noticeable upgrade and its about 600-800 AUD at the moment.

The 7970 I put in does alright for a 6 year old card....but it will be painful if I try to play something that is not a Paradox game.