Question GPU can't be overclocked while using the HDMI ports on the monitor...?

Majcric

Golden Member
May 3, 2011
So just curious if anyone has ever seen this issue where a GPU can't be overclocked (very little) while using the HDMI ports on a monitor. 2 to be exact with the same behavior. If I try to do my known stable overclock the screen keeps blacking in and out and you can hear sound continuing to play. So I don't think it's a full on crash but I personally have never seen this issue before. DisplayPort works just fine you can overclock as high as the GPU will allow or until the driver crashes. Fortunately my HDMI ports do work without issue as long as there is no overclock on the GPU.

I have tried another monitor and the HDMI port on it allows my known stable overclock to work just fine. I have also tried about 5 or 6 different HDMI cables with no changes.

GPU is a GTX 980ti
Monitor Is a ViewSonic XG3220

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
The screen is going black because the HDMI is losing its sync with the monitor.

When you say you try your "known stable overclock" does this mean that you used to not get this issue, and that it is recent?

Reactions: Majcric

Majcric

Golden Member
May 3, 2011
The monitor is new. Just purchased. My gtx 980ti will allow +200 on the core that is stable while benchmarking. I usually game with around +180 core. Now I’ve used this GPU for years like this as it was purchased new in 2015. I’m very familiar with it capabilities at least on certain ports.:);)

Thing is this new monitor does not allow any GPU overclocking worth talking about on the two HDMI ports.

I even moved my pc to hook it up to my Sony 900e using HDMI and the overclock worked just fine without a hitch.

I guess to answer your question straight out I used to not get this issue is correct.

Last edited:

Majcric

Golden Member
May 3, 2011
If this is a recent issue, I suggest rolling back the NV drivers. Sounds like a driver glitch to me.
Right as I type this the culprit seems to be pointing at the HDMI ports on the new monitor. They work fine but you can forget overclocking the GPU while using them. And thank GOD this is not issue with DP.

I have a new HDMI cable coMing in a couple of days but I'm not expecting any different results.

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
You know, interestingly enough, I tried to set up a PC that I had working at my place with 3x NV GTX 1660 ti (ITX single-fan) GPUs, in an AM3/AM3+ board. I had the primary GPU hooked up to my 40" 4K UHD TV / display via a DisplayPort connector on the card, wired to an HDMI2.0 port on my TV.

When I moved that PC to my relative's place, I connected the primary GPU to an LCD monitor (Hannspree), that had dual HDMI 1.4 inputs. I used an HDMI to HMDI cable. I couldn't get the monitor to turn on at all. Like, no picture, no signal.

I did, before I moved the PC out of my place, set the "overclocked" (power limit down, Memory clock +130) settings to "Startup" in MSI AB and set my mining program to start on boot.

But I had to configure the wifi on Win10 to get it to work at my relative's place, and I couldn't get it to display, to get that far.

But then, you're having a similar problem with an NV card.

I'm really thinking now that it's the drivers. Some sort of wierdness that disables the signal on the HDMI output port(s), when the GPU is clocked something different than default.

Although, maybe not, I don't see POST firing up the monitor either.

Edit: As it turned out, the relative's monitor had gotten unplugged while I had it tipped up to plug in the second HDMI port, as the AC power cord was rather short. I added another small power strip.

Last edited:

Majcric

Golden Member
May 3, 2011
I'm beginning to think the issue I'm experiencing is a conflict between my NVidia GPU and this FreeSYNC monitor. As it turns out FreeSYNC is pretty notorious for black screens from the research I've gathered. Just theorizing here...

Majcric

Golden Member
May 3, 2011
I am going to RMA this monitor. There is a sound coming from around the inputs/control board that sounds like a relay clicking. Once this click happens it is followed by an onset of black screens. Even though it only happens when my GPU is overclocked it is enough for concern on a future upgrade path, i.e factory overclocked GPU etc

Still a decent monitor as it had good uniformity, No dead pixels, all buttons had a nice distinctive click, and the sleep and wake functions worked properly. But not recommended for an enthusiast user.

Reactions: Stuka87