Question GPU Buzzing

bfun_x1

May 29, 2015
I just got a new Red Devil 5700XT and I'm noticing it buzzes when certain things happen on the screen. For instance, mousing over some links on this forum causes the card to buzz. Not every link does it but the ones that go to threads do. Moving the mouse around in open space doesn't make any noise but scrolling the screen with the mouse wheel does. It also seems to buzz when any messages pop up on the screen. It doesn't make any noise if nothing is happening on the screen. Is this coil whine or something weirder?

Dribble

Golden Member
Aug 9, 2005
That's coil whine. Had it on a previous card (970), it was driving me mad and I was about to rma it but with use the buzzing died away and was ok. The card died at just over 2 years old (just out of warranty) so I still regret not rma'ing it!!

daveybrat

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jan 31, 2000
It's definitely coil-whine. I'd break the card in good while you're still in the return policy. Use FurMark and run the stress test for at least an hour to give the card a good battering.

I've ran the program before and even had the coil-whine calm down significantly afterwards.....and others no change at all.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
It's obviously more noticeable if your ambient noise is low but if you don't want to RMA the card you can try to stress it for a few hours, as others have suggested. Doesn't always work but it's fun to see what the card can do.

+1 for RMA if it's really driving you crazy though

Guru

May 5, 2017
Seems like coil whine, its usually caused by stressed wiring either on the card itself or the PSU cables. I'd definitely return it.

Furious_Styles

Jan 17, 2019
You can usually make any card have serious coil whine if you run something you can get 1000+ fps in. Give it a shot and see if it really starts buzzing.

bfun_x1

May 29, 2015
It's obviously more noticeable if your ambient noise is low but if you don't want to RMA the card you can try to stress it for a few hours, as others have suggested. Doesn't always work but it's fun to see what the card can do.

+1 for RMA if it's really driving you crazy though
I've spent a lot of time and money making my PC near silent so this is kind of disappointing. I'll run a stress test for a few hours and see what happens. Will PowerColor let me RMA a card for coil whine? What are the chances the next card will be the same?

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
It's a limited production card so they might give you a hard time if you mention the whining, however if it were me I would just state that you are having another issue that you've been troubleshooting without solution.

The chances of another card exhibiting coil whine are, unfortunately, high however the level of coil whine is likely to differ. Not all cards are exactly the same in that one batch could differ quite a bit depending on which parts were sourced.

ASK THE COMMUNITY