GPS owners: is it worth it?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bigrash

Lifer
Feb 20, 2001
Originally posted by: DaWhim
Originally posted by: iamwiz82
No system has been as good as Streets and Trips, USB GPS, and our laptop. All of the handheld/in-car ones suck for usability. Do you ever need more than one waypoint? May as well throw out every single option out there under $700. Typing in an address is loads of fun with a scroll wheel. :p

I don't really like the interface of S&T for navigate. I just got iguidance and waiting to try it next time when I got a long road trip.

I also like iguidance better than S&T. Can't wait to try tomtom 6 and see how it works

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
Originally posted by: fuzzybabybunny
I really know how to read a map and have always had a good sense of direction, but even I will admit that a GPS is incredibly, incredibly useful.

1. Want to go someplace on a whim? Just hop in the car, input the general destination ( ie. Rocky Mountain National Park ) and GO!
2. On a road trip and need to find a local library for internet access? Punch it into the GPS. No need to get a phone book, find the address, find a map, etc.
3. Car running out of gas? Tell your GPS to find the closest gas station.
4. Emergency? The GPS can show you to the nearest hospital.
5. Groceries or shopping or restaurants? GPS can do that too.
6. Heavy Fog? GPS is your eye in the sky, and can show you how the road will curve ahead, IMO a very nice feature that has helped me more than a couple of times.

Overall, it's great because it speeds up your trips and makes life a LOT easier, and saves you time that you can spend elsewere, like relaxing.
It's also very nice when you're out with the camera and see good light down an un-marked road and decide to follow that through a few turn-offs and one road leads to another...

Looking for photos gets me out to places, the GPS gets me home again. :p

ZV