• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

GPS owners, do you feel text-to-speech is a must have?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: trmiv
Originally posted by: mugs
Originally posted by: GeneValgene
this is my setup...it's a poor man's solution, with text to speech

pic

dell axim x50v - $140
navman 4100 bluetooth receiver - $60
mapopolis gps software - $99

so everything for about $300. plus you can use the axim for other stuff if you would like.
That's cool if you'll use the Axim for other things.

We just ordered a Garmin from Costco for $229+tax
Yea see, I would never use the Axim for another things. I had a PDA in the past and it was an overpriced alarm clock.

Was that an i series Garmin you got from Costco? I almost ordered the i3 last week but my wife decided the screen was too small. That's a cool little unit though, and a steal for the price.
Yeah that's the one. We haven't received it yet, but a friend has the same model (it's available at Newegg for a similar price). He likes it, and I've played around with it. The screen is pretty small, but I don't expect to look at the screen much.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: RossMAN
We can fit OR/WA on the 128MB card it came with. I wonder if we can fit the entire USA on a 2GB card.
My friend fit all of NJ, PA, MD, DE, VA and most of NC on a 128 MB card, so I think your 2 GB estimate is pretty good.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
We can fit OR/WA on the 128MB card it came with. I wonder if we can fit the entire USA on a 2GB card.
My friend fit all of NJ, PA, MD, DE, VA and most of NC on a 128 MB card, so I think your 2 GB estimate is pretty good.
But CA/TX are huuuuuuuuuuuuuge.

trmiv

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
CostCo.com has the Garmin StreetPilot c320 for $269 shipped.

Our c320 has a touch screen and speaks "in 500 feet turn left" we use the English female and she doesn't sound that annoying. Nothing compared to an Aussie though ;)

Buy.com has Kingston 2GB SD for $17.95 AR and Google checkout with free shipping.
Pretty good deal, too bad I don't have a costco card, I have to pay a little extra.

I think 2GB will fit the entire US. I searched a bit and found that most people say they can fit almost the entire map on a 1GB card, so there is no reason all of it shouldn't fit on a 2GB.

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001
Originally posted by: GeneValgene
this is my setup...it's a poor man's solution, with text to speech

pic

dell axim x50v - $140
navman 4100 bluetooth receiver - $60
mapopolis gps software - $99

so everything for about $300. plus you can use the axim for other stuff if you would like.
That's cool if you'll use the Axim for other things.

We just ordered a Garmin from Costco for $229+tax

Edit: Ours was the Streetpilot i3, which they do not appear to carry anymore.
You can use the same setup if you have a smartphone as well. That's my plan as I have a Tmobile SDA.

ASK THE COMMUNITY