GPS Newbie has some questions

InlineFour

Banned
Nov 1, 2005
i currently have an i-mate jamin windows mobile 5 PDA phone. i would like to buy a bluetooth GPS receiver but i'm sure where to start. my question is, is there a monthly fee for GPS service, does the GPS receiver use battery or car battery? if it uses car's 12v cigarette lighter, what do i do when my phone is already using it? also, i'm assuming the maps are stored on flash memory?

Bootprint

Diamond Member
Jan 11, 2002
No fees for use of the GPS signal.
I believe a bluetooth GPS would use internal batteries but probably have the ability to plug into a power source.
You can purchase 12-volt cigarette splitters to power both devices at the same time.

BullsOnParade

Golden Member
Apr 7, 2003
semsons is a good site. My friend has the iBlue gps unit. He likes the fact that it has an auto shut off feature so he doesn't have to remember to
turn it off every time. I was looking at the Holux GPSlim 236 which at the time had the latest chipset SiRF III. It's battery life isn't as good as the iBlue
but I think the sensitivity is greater so you will get a lock faster (potentially). I see that they have the Holux 240 and such out now which might offer more
features.

toant103

Lifer
Jul 21, 2001

I'm pretty happy with my BT-338 with my sprint PPC-6700 and Dell x50v. I love the x50v screen but i have to much stuff to carry around. Instead, I just use my phone instead. At the moment, i'm using I guidance 3.0 and tomtom 5. I have to say, i guidance 3.0 is pretty darn good but the graphic in TOMTOM are a lot smoother, i think it gets 3 fps.

Originally posted by: Jnetty99
Originally posted by: toant103
I have the BT 338. Battery last for about 16hrs straight
Most bluetooth gps has a car charger.

http://www.semsons.com/

go here

I was thinking of getting that one Globalsat BT 338 or the Emrac for my Treo 650 with Tom Tom.