GPD Pocket would it be worth getting and using?

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
I've looking at this product since last week and I'm wondering if I would have a good use case for a laptop this small. I was considering getting a tablet, but something like this is more appealing to me as it runs a real OS and real applications.
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/gpd-pocket-7-0-umpc-laptop-ubuntu-or-win-10-os-laptop--2#/

It will be available with Windows 10 and Ubuntu.
Atom Z8750 CPU
8GB of memory
128GB of storage
1280x1200p 7" screen
USB-C and USB 3 ports
MicroSD card slot
Micro HDMI

I think it will neat to have a laptop that I can put in my pocket and easy to carry around.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
No one else thinks it will be neat to have a x86 notebook they can carry in their pocket?

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
No one else thinks it will be neat to have a x86 notebook they can carry in their pocket?

Sure, it's neat, but having been through the netbook craze, I don't really want to work on anything under 11.6". Those 9" netbooks were incredibly cramped to work on; tablets got around that with software keyboards that have expanding keys & word prediction. Also, the Atom chips are kind of awful. I've installed a lot of X5 systems & they struggle even playing Youtube. The X7 with more RAM is supposed to be better, but it's probably not going to be a stellar experience. If you want to save some money, check out the gear available from CHUWI on sites like GeekBuying. They have stuff like a 10" detachable laptop-tablet for $199 that runs both Android & Windows:

http://www.geekbuying.com/item/Pack...in-1-Tablet-PC-Intel-Z8350---Gray-374268.html

The GPD is pretty nice because it's AIO & specifically designed to be a very tiny laptop. That's a really cool concept, although like you said...actual use case...hmm.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Sure, it's neat, but having been through the netbook craze, I don't really want to work on anything under 11.6". Those 9" netbooks were incredibly cramped to work on; tablets got around that with software keyboards that have expanding keys & word prediction. Also, the Atom chips are kind of awful. I've installed a lot of X5 systems & they struggle even playing Youtube. The X7 with more RAM is supposed to be better, but it's probably not going to be a stellar experience. If you want to save some money, check out the gear available from CHUWI on sites like GeekBuying. They have stuff like a 10" detachable laptop-tablet for $199 that runs both Android & Windows:

http://www.geekbuying.com/item/Pack...in-1-Tablet-PC-Intel-Z8350---Gray-374268.html

The GPD is pretty nice because it's AIO & specifically designed to be a very tiny laptop. That's a really cool concept, although like you said...actual use case...hmm.
I was thinking that using the Core M3-7y30 instead would offer more performance, but may raise the price quite a bit. I'm looking at the Ubuntu version since I don't use Windows at all, but will replace it with Manjaro Linux.

I'm also looking at the GPD Win as well since a portable PC gaming device that can be as computer as well also appeals to me as well.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
I was thinking that using the Core M3-7y30 instead would offer more performance, but may raise the price quite a bit. I'm looking at the Ubuntu version since I don't use Windows at all, but will replace it with Manjaro Linux.

I'm also looking at the GPD Win as well since a portable PC gaming device that can be as computer as well also appeals to me as well.

Depends on the game though...it's just integrated graphics.

The Core M would probably be a MUCH better choice, but yeah, then you start getting into Surface pricing territory.

Sometimes it's fun to make tech purchases that don't make much sense but are cool anyway. I'm really into mini computers...started with a used Mac G4 Cube & shrunk from there. My workbench is littered with NUC's, BRIX, Atom boxes, etc. haha. So if your budget allows, I say scratch that itch! Plus you never know when you might need a full Windows system handy...

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Depends on the game though...it's just integrated graphics.

The Core M would probably be a MUCH better choice, but yeah, then you start getting into Surface pricing territory.

Sometimes it's fun to make tech purchases that don't make much sense but are cool anyway. I'm really into mini computers...started with a used Mac G4 Cube & shrunk from there. My workbench is littered with NUC's, BRIX, Atom boxes, etc. haha. So if your budget allows, I say scratch that itch! Plus you never know when you might need a full Windows system handy...
As far as the GPD Win goes, I'll install a full Linux distro on a mini-USB 128GB stick and use that instead. The Pocket to be sure, could more useful as a mobile LibreOffice or Web surfing machine When I'm in public waiting around for stuff.I would really would like to have both devices.

HitAnyKey

Oct 4, 2013
Thanks OP. Interesting concept. Specs are pretty good, especially the display. Might be handy for traveling but not much else. Price point would be the most important factor for me when deciding.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Thanks OP. Interesting concept. Specs are pretty good, especially the display. Might be handy for traveling but not much else. Price point would be the most important factor for me when deciding.
Sorry I missed your post. But yeah price would be huge factor in wither or not to buy one.

HitAnyKey

Oct 4, 2013
Not a bad review. 1080p, 8GB RAM and built-in keyboard are great features to have for something that portable. Very handy if your on the go and need to do some work remotely in a pinch.

$399 would be a fair price. At $599 and possibly much more up here in Canada, I would likely pass.

Charlie22911

Mar 19, 2005
Something I'd keep an eye on though is that the native layout for the display in hardware seems to be portrait, it relies on software drivers to get it to the "correct" landscape arrangement.
This could be a big deal if you plan to run anything other than Windows on it.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Something I'd keep an eye on though is that the native layout for the display in hardware seems to be portrait, it relies on software drivers to get it to the "correct" landscape arrangement.
This could be a big deal if you plan to run anything other than Windows on it.
I know what you mean, but the company is planning on a Ubuntu version.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
NeweggFlash had this on sale a few days ago. I think it was $400, for the Win10 version. Looked kind of neat, dual gamepads and shoulder buttons. Too pricey for me, though.