Governor Schwarzenegger Thread - Edit 11-18-2003 Arnold goes to work immediately to rebuild California, Best Wishes Gov

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

flavio

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I think that Arnold's appeal for most people is that even though he is a robot he will fight the more advanced robots to save the human race. A lot of people like that.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Here is some numbers:

California Recall
"Shall Gray Davis be recalled (removed) from the office of Governor?"
x- Yes 54 percent
No 46 percent

California Governor

x- Arnold Schwarzenegger GOP 53 percent
Cruz M. Bustamante Dem 33 percent
Tom McClintock GOP 12 percent
Peter Miguel Camejo Grn 2 percent

AAjax

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2001
Originally posted by: naddicott
I predict more people will vote to keep Gov. Davis (by voting "no" on the recall) than vote to elect Schwarzenegger, and yet Arnold will become Governor anyway. Democracy at its finest.
rolleye.gif

Democrat slight of hand at its finest dont you mean? if he wins he wins, live with it

flavio

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: AAjax
I predict more people will vote to keep Gov. Davis (by voting "no" on the recall) than vote to elect Schwarzenegger, and yet Arnold will become Governor anyway. Democracy at its finest.
rolleye.gif

Democrat slight of hand at its finest dont you mean? if he wins he wins, live with it

Is that what happened when Davis won?

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
How many people think voters were afraid to give the state over to a Mexican Governor? I am not being racist, just asking an obvious question.

Ferocious

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2000
Congrats Arnold! Davis sucked sooo bad.

I'm just glad he's a moderate unlike Bush.

I wonder how his hometown in Austria is taking the news. He's probably the talk of the town for sure. :)

digitalsm

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2003
Originally posted by: flavio
rolleye.gif

It doesnt matter because

1. Arnold appears to have over 50% of the vote, and 59% have voted to recall Davis, that would mean Arnold 50%, Davis 41%.
2. Arnold has received more votes than Davis did in the last election
3. Id like to see the Democrats try a recall, to pull it off they would have to do far far worse than what they have already done. They are already extremely hypocritical, more so than the republicans. Doing what it would take to pull off a recall of Arnold, would put the credibility of the democrat party as a whole at risk.

naddicott

Jul 3, 2002
Originally posted by: digitalsm
1. Arnold appears to have over 50% of the vote, and 59% have voted to recall Davis, that would mean Arnold 50%, Davis 41%.
True. The fact that it hypothetically could have been Arnold 40%, Davis 41% and still be an Arnold victory is a moot point. Perhaps the recall law will get a little going over before the next potential opportunity to exploit that undemocratic loophole comes along.

I would hesitate to call the election a mandate, in that most "mandates" imply the candidate has policies the voters knew enough about to mandate their implementation, but it certainly has turned out to be a case of Arnold being properly elected.

I'm not happy with the result, but anyone who tries to argue the validity of this election is fighting a losing battle, IMO.

digitalsm

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2003
True. The fact that it hypothetically could have been Arnold 40%, Davis 41% and still be an Arnold victory is a moot point. Perhaps the recall law will get a little going over before the next potential opportunity to exploit that undemocratic loophole comes along.

I would hesitate to call the election a mandate, in that most "mandates" imply the candidate has policies the voters knew enough about to mandate their implementation, but it certainly has turned out to be a case of Arnold being properly elected.

I'm not happy with the result, but anyone who tries to argue the validity of this election is fighting a losing battle, IMO.

I found it funny the democrats were all saying, someone could win with 20% of the vote. Etc etc. Yes in theory someone could, but in reality it could never happen. Then again I dont think the democrats tend to live their lives in reality.

flavio

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
rolleye.gif

It doesnt matter because

2. Arnold has received more votes than Davis did in the last election
3. Id like to see the Democrats try a recall, to pull it off they would have to do far far worse than what they have already done. They are already extremely hypocritical, more so than the republicans. Doing what it would take to pull off a recall of Arnold, would put the credibility of the democrat party as a whole at risk.

Are you sure you quoted the right person? Because your reply doesn't have much to do with mine. AAjax said "if he wins he wins, live with it". I pointed out the hypocrisy since that's not what happened when Davis won.

Now start again.

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
I predict he will easily win and congratulate him.

I would be extremely surprised if he did not win and would feel even more sorry for Californians and the situation they are enduring under total mismanagement of that State.

This also clearly shows Partisan Politics is not completely to blame. Either party can be lousy Managers and squander away everything.

Edit 10-8-2003 Arnold wins as predicted here, Congrats!!! :beer::D:beer:

Heh now when is the Bush recall ;)

He is a lame duck president anyway and is crippling the time he can be govnuh

Atleast prop54 was defeated :)

Btw I never heard of prop53 - should I have voted yes or no on it? I saw it and read the little blurb but since i really didn't know i chose not to vote on that issue

edit:

btw why does it seem that more people outside CA care for the election than californians themselves?

freegeeks

Diamond Member
May 7, 2001
politics suck around in the world but US politics is more like a soap-opera

good entertainment !!!!!

superant23

May 26, 2003
As of right now, 46% voted No on the recall - effectively a vote for Gray Davis, and that's with 2.88 million votes. If I understand correctly, you choose a replacement candidate regardless of your vote for/against the recall. As of right now, Arnold has 2.76 million votes, less than the number of votes Gray Davis has. I haven't been following the polls, but I would assume a voter whose first choice is Gray Davis would most likely go with a democratic candidate such as Bustamante, however, I am sure a decent percentage who want Gray Davis #1 want Arnold as their #2. That would mean you can subtract at least some of Arnold's votes, since a vote for #2 certainly doesn't count as much as a vote for #1, at least in the real world. Say 10% who want Gray Davis #1 want Arnold #2, that's 288,000 votes that can be subtracted from Arnold if you eliminate second choices, giving Arnold (as of 81% of precincts reporting) 2.472 million votes, versus Davis's 2.88 million, an easy 15% victory for Gray Davis.

Does this make any sense or am I just crazy

edit: Slight correction here. 9% more people cast votes for/against recall than for a replacement candidate. That lowers Gray Davis to 2.62 million, likely very close to Arnold but probably still ahead.

edit 2: I forgot to account for the recall candidates other than the top 4 or 5. so, forget the 9% thing above. that only improves the arguement that Gray Davis had more votes.

edit 3: according to exit polls, 4% voted Davis #1 and Arnold #2 (lower than my 10% estimate). However, this still puts Davis on top, although I will recalculate this once the final figures come in. I will also check those final numbers with the margin of error of the exit polls.

flavio

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
You've got a good point. Seems pretty obvious that Davis is getting more votes than Arnie.

Ryan

Lifer
Oct 31, 2000
You've got a good point. Seems pretty obvious that Davis is getting more votes than Arnie.

It's the state largely democrat? I can see most democrats sticking with their party before they vote for a republican, so I guess that's why it makes a little sense.

digitalsm

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2003
Originally posted by: superant23
As of right now, 46% voted No on the recall - effectively a vote for Gray Davis, and that's with 2.88 million votes. If I understand correctly, you choose a replacement candidate regardless of your vote for/against the recall. As of right now, Arnold has 2.76 million votes, less than the number of votes Gray Davis has. I haven't been following the polls, but I would assume a voter whose first choice is Gray Davis would most likely go with a democratic candidate such as Bustamante, however, I am sure a decent percentage who want Gray Davis #1 want Arnold as their #2. That would mean you can subtract at least some of Arnold's votes, since a vote for #2 certainly doesn't count as much as a vote for #1, at least in the real world. Say 10% who want Gray Davis #1 want Arnold #2, that's 288,000 votes that can be subtracted from Arnold if you eliminate second choices, giving Arnold (as of 81% of precincts reporting) 2.472 million votes, versus Davis's 2.88 million, an easy 15% victory for Gray Davis.

Does this make any sense or am I just crazy

The current numbers arent really clear. You have the major democrat areas already counted.

naddicott

Jul 3, 2002
Just to be the devil's advocate... :evil:

More people voted for a Republican (Arnold + McClintock) than voted to keep Davis (against the recall). Considering turnout seemed respectable, there's a clear if not overwhelming "will of the people" to be respected here. The Davis vs. Arnie comparisons are all academic of course, since by law the pro-Davis vote and the pro-Arnie vote aren't directly competing.

digitalsm

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2003

Sorry to burst your bubble, but the liberal counties have already been counted and Arnold just retook the lead, the lead will only grow from this point on as OC's results come in.

digitalsm

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2003
Just to be the devil's advocate... :evil:

More people voted for a Republican (Arnold + McClintock) than voted to keep Davis (against the recall). Considering turnout seemed respectable, there's a clear if not overwhelming "will of the people" to be respected here. The Davis vs. Arnie comparisons are all academic of course, since by law the pro-Davis vote and the pro-Arnie vote aren't directly competing.

Yes and lets not forget to mention OC's results are lagging greatly.

naddicott

Jul 3, 2002
Yes and lets not forget to mention OC's results are lagging greatly.
I've noticed folks from OC are generally slow. Must be all the Republicans... ;)

leborland

Oct 7, 2003

Could never figure Californians. They swing from Jerry Brown to Ronald Reagan. Now it's a contest between Davis and Schwarzenegger. They seem to have this love affair with Hollywood that overshadows reason. How can you even conceive of voting for someone who openly admires Hitler and has made inappropriate sexual advances toward at least 15 women? That's not to mention all the other bigoted statements he's made in his career. The man is downright disgusting and the tactics to get him elected frankly make my skin crawl. I mean the fact that they couldn't wait until the primary election in March, despite the fact that it would save California a bundle of money and allow time for the new improved voter machines in LA, all because they were afraid the primary would bring out too many Democrats and defeat their fair haired boy Arnold. I wonder if the fact that so many voter polls were closed, forcing people to wait in long lines, wasn't part of the same tactics.

flavio

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999

Sorry to burst your bubble, but the liberal counties have already been counted and Arnold just retook the lead, the lead will only grow from this point on as OC's results come in.

If were to use Superant's scenario then you would have to take away the votes from Arnie by people who voted No on the recall (which means they pick Davis first). Makes you wonder if this thing is really setup correctly.