Government to buy stock in Financial Institutions

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005
Great, Paulson is supposed to speak in a moment on CNN about it. Will update with link. Supposedly Paulson is going to use part of the $700B bailout to make these purchases.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27123491/

WASHINGTON - Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson said Friday that the Bush administration will move ahead with a plan to buy stock in financial institutions.

Paulson said the program to purchase stock in financial institutions will be open to a broad array of institutions.

The administration received the authority to make direct purchases of stock in banks in the $700 billion measure Congress passed last week to rescue the nation's financial system.

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
The U.S. government has bought stocks in financial institutions dating back nearly 100 years.

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
Originally posted by: PC Surgeon
Originally posted by: Evan Lieb
The U.S. government has bought stocks in financial institutions dating back nearly 100 years.

Please prove it.

What do you think Fannie and Freddie are? They're gov't-subsidized, partially government-owned, and that has been going on for several decades now. The Fed nationalized some railroad companies for a while back in the early 20th century. This is nothing new. Though I do wonder what twist Paulson is trying to come up with here.

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
Ah, I see, they're talking about common stock. Huh, I'll have to read more about that.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Makes sense, gets the capital quicker and cleaner to the banking institution, and probably more chance of recovery for the taxpayer. Probably better disposal of "toxic assets" too-when it affects the bottom line a for-profit will work harder. May screw over the existing shareholders if it dilutes there ownership, but thats a smaller negative.

Kuragami

Jun 20, 2008
Let me guess what they did today. Gave billions to JP Morgan and GS to tank Silver using paper Silver.

EDIT: then pocketed the difference... how do you still like your Free Market?

smashp

Platinum Member
Aug 30, 2003
I got 4490 of NCC right now at an average cost of 2.67

Made about $10,000 or so of of WB.

Hopefully things will work out, because I have been a True american and Putting my money into the Banks and Buying into this great system of ours.

Or you can say Im just trying to profit off of government intervention

sandmanwake

Golden Member
Feb 29, 2000
Buy stocks how? If they're going to purchase outstanding shares, that would artificially inflate the stock price, but wouldn't really get new capital into the banks' hands unless they sell new stocks at the inflated prices to the masses. This would cause dilution and bring prices back down despite being artificially inflated. If they buy new or preferred shares, that would also dilute the shares outstanding, which would bring the stock prices of these banks down further.

Seems like this measure is more to work on people's psychology than anything else. What happens when people figures that out? How well did buying bank stocks by the government work during the Great Depression? I'm not saying it won't work this time, but I'm genuinely curious. They've done this before, did it have any benefit the last time it was tried?

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
The thing I find striking is the lack of admisssion that not only have we blown through it being a recession but is a whole lot worse than the depression.

The dominoe effect is going to be staggering.

You will see people jumping from skyscapers again.

Maybe then they will decalre it a Greater Depresssion.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
The thing I find striking is the lack of admisssion that not only have we blown through it being a recession but is a whole lot worse than the depression.

The dominoe effect is going to be staggering.

You will see people jumping from skyscapers again.

Maybe then they will decalre it a Greater Depresssion.

I take it this will clear store shelves, thus creating modern soup lines?