Government Motors is showing recovery with a $500 million investment in New Mexico!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Oberman had a bunch of clips from gas bag Republicans claiming that GM would fail if helped out by the Government last night. The gov helped out and now GM is coming back. This must not be. Once the Republicans kiss of death is put on your forehead, you must die, even if you're the United States. It is essential that the lie of Republicanism be kept hidden regardless of what must die. Republicans are the party of death.

Olberman, that sarcastic son of a bitch! I think I might steal your sig. he he

Last edited:

Fear No Evil

Diamond Member
Nov 14, 2008
Oberman had a bunch of clips from gas bag Republicans claiming that GM would fail if helped out by the Government last night. The gov helped out and now GM is coming back. This must not be. Once the Republicans kiss of death is put on your forehead, you must die, even if you're the United States. It is essential that the lie of Republicanism be kept hidden regardless of what must die. Republicans are the party of death.

You really need to decide which talking point you are going to use. Are Republicans FOR big business or against them? I guessing the fax you got from MSNBC this morning said they were against.

ANYWAYS. Short term profitibility with a massive government bailout and massive government subsidies such as cash for clunkers does not make a successful business. In 5 years when GM is face down again, can we simply send you a bill?

Ktulu

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2000
Outselling wasn't hard for them when their numbers included Chevrolet, Pontiac, GMC, Hummer, Cadillac, and Buick. In terms of sales totals vs. company expenditures they were being annihilated.

Their cars are cheap looking and average. Their business model has been bloated and inefficient. The free market spoke but the government didn't listen.

Hey i agree with you on alot of there product lineup being boring and cheap looking and also no one is going to argue for their old business model. My whole point is that they have our money now, they done a crap load of stuff to return to profitability and have done so successfully. So why do we want so bad for them to fail now? Don't we want our money back. I know sure as hell i do.

child of wonder

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2006
Hey i agree with you on alot of there product lineup being boring and cheap looking and also no one is going to argue for their old business model. My whole point is that they have our money now, they done a crap load of stuff to return to profitability and have done so successfully. So why do we want so bad for them to fail now? Don't we want our money back. I know sure as hell i do.

I'm upset that we set a precedent for the American auto industry. Now that we're invested in GM, sure I want our money back plus interest. However, moving more jobs to Mexico is not going to get them on the American consumer's good graces.

Ktulu

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2000
I'm upset that we set a precedent for the American auto industry. Now that we're invested in GM, sure I want our money back plus interest. However, moving more jobs to Mexico is not going to get them on the American consumer's good graces.

Right but what about all the jobs they've recently created here in the State plus the plants they've invested in? Doesn't that matter? They are a huge freakin company with plants all around the world afterall. Guess what, they're going to keep investing in those plants whether you like it or not.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003

GM went through bankruptcy.

The shareholders were wiped out.

Senior bondholders were wiped out.

If that's not failure, what is?

Fern

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
You really need to decide which talking point you are going to use. Are Republicans FOR big business or against them? I guessing the fax you got from MSNBC this morning said they were against.

ANYWAYS. Short term profitibility with a massive government bailout and massive government subsidies such as cash for clunkers does not make a successful business. In 5 years when GM is face down again, can we simply send you a bill?

Hehe, the word was that GM would collapse with government aid and the facts so far are contrary. Republicans aren't for anything. They are only against anything Obama is for. And I really should sign up for faxes I guess because I almost never turn on the television. The one I watch even has a tube. In fact, I didn't even know you could get talking points by fax.

child of wonder

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2006
Right but what about all the jobs they've recently created here in the State plus the plants they've invested in? Doesn't that matter? They are a huge freakin company with plants all around the world afterall. Guess what, they're going to keep investing in those plants whether you like it or not.

Sure, while they're sucking on the public teat they're going to invest in their business. However, there's a very good chance in another 10-20 years GM could be right back in trouble and asking for another hand out.

I'm simply of the opinion that if a business is at a point where it's going to belly up, no matter how large, there are good reasons that's happening. Rather than putting the business on life support and prolonging the inevitable, let them fail. The immediate consequences of their failure would be better than the long term and drawn out consequences of sustaining them on the people's dime.

Can the bailout of GM succeed and they emerge a stronger company? Yes, it's possible. But I wouldn't gamble $45.3B on it.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Can the bailout of GM succeed and they emerge a stronger company? Yes, it's possible. But I wouldn't gamble $45.3B on it.

Why not. Wall Steet Investments banks gambled (bet against) away Trillions on CDO's they created themselves.

Ktulu

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2000
Sure, while they're sucking on the public teat they're going to invest in their business. However, there's a very good chance in another 10-20 years GM could be right back in trouble and asking for another hand out.

I'm simply of the opinion that if a business is at a point where it's going to belly up, no matter how large, there are good reasons that's happening. Rather than putting the business on life support and prolonging the inevitable, let them fail. The immediate consequences of their failure would be better than the long term and drawn out consequences of sustaining them on the people's dime.

Hey that's cool, i respect your opinion. It is what it is now. They have our money so i'm gonna hope that we at least get it back.

Jul 10, 2007
Is that why GM has been outselling almost all other companies here in the US even back then? Well maybe Toyota got ahead for a small period of time. The problem wasn't them not selling cars.

2 words.
Fleet sales.

You know... Hertz, Enterprise, Avis, fed/state police, etc.