Government healthcare was good to me today.

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
Why dont you tell the aids patience to go get private insurance then?
You guys are happy to be total morons as long as it fits the agenda. To some degree I suppose that makes sense; since liberals are all about the group over the individual and don't value human life (unless the human chooses to murder someone of course) it isn't a big deal if a few people die as long as the bureaucracy expands. Anyone whose IQ exceeds his hat size should be able to reconcile SOME people getting health care through government without EVERYONE getting health care through government, so don't pretend it's a binary decision.

Just to make it clear - almost everyone agrees that we all (in the form of government) should pick up the tab for SOME people. HR is demonstrating that those people - the poorest people in need of the most expensive life-saving care - are not being well served due purely to the nature of the bureaucracy. THAT is the problem. Whether or not we get government-controlled UHC, this is considered by almost everyone to be a legitimate if probably unconstitutional function of government and needs to be fixed immediately. Instead liberals are unconcerned about people dying due to government's unaccountability and indeed, are demanding that this same level of performance be extended to everyone.

When we get HilaryCare - and we will, after the private health insurance industry has been driven out of business - making it illegal to directly contract for health care, this poor homeless guy could be any of us. Literally anyone who develops a life-threatening illness could then be put in this position, at the mercy of government, unless one is ultra-wealthy or very well connected politically. It is vitally important that we make government-run health care function properly, and hold government employees accountable for stupid decisions that hurt the people they are supposed to be helping, for the sake of these most vulnerable citizens, but in the long run for ourselves as well.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
I agree with you, the government should never let it's citizens fend for themselves in the free healthcare market.

I think you should stick to arguing about lettuce prices in the Central Valley because you just don't get this and can't even keep your position straight.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
But they were OBLIGATED to pay for it. That is what you keep missing. If I am on a policy from Medicaid and it says "We'll cover you for cancer," then if I go in for cancer, it had better cover me. Medicaid failed this guy.

Sure, but what you keep missing is that when it failed him, it left him to the successful outcome of the private sector of getting the best care he could afford.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
You bring up an interesting and often overlooked point. There is a PROPER way to amend the Constitution and many of us would not have a problem if a healthcare amendment were properly ratified and added to the Constitution. It is this interpretation (or misinterpretation, depending on your view) that upsets some of us.
Thanks, that can't be said too often. Amending the Constitution through proper procedure helps keep us up to date and to deal with the modern world. Amending the Constitution through pretending it says whatever we want at the moment just means we have no Constitution.

Nov 29, 2006
But they were OBLIGATED to pay for it. That is what you keep missing. If I am on a policy from Medicaid and it says "We'll cover you for cancer," then if I go in for cancer, it had better cover me. Medicaid failed this guy.

Even though im arguing the other side mostly i do agree with you here. Medicaid did fail these people. But i think of it as more of a hiccup in the system, and has since been fixed? Hayabusa? So most of the time yes these people that receive medicaid are doing ok. But the free market offers nothing to these people so its always a fail in that regard.

And by "these people" im assuming they cant afford private healthcare or cannot get it because they were denied etc.

Mostly this is just symantics and can go back and forth all day bewteen you and nonsenseamp :p

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
Cus you gave him AIDS?

Translation:

senseamp: "Oh oh, I see where he is going with this and I am going to be nominated for a self-ownage award of the year if I continue the discussion and answer his question truthfully."

Thanks, you are dismissed. I hear lettuce prices might be going up, you'd better start a thread.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
When we get HilaryCare - and we will, after the private health insurance industry has been driven out of business - making it illegal to directly contract for health care, this poor homeless guy could be any of us. Literally anyone who develops a life-threatening illness could then be put in this position, at the mercy of government, unless one is ultra-wealthy or very well connected politically. It is vitally important that we make government-run health care function properly, and hold government employees accountable for stupid decisions that hurt the people they are supposed to be helping, for the sake of these most vulnerable citizens, but in the long run for ourselves as well.

Like France huh? Scary stuff. If it ever came to that I will blow my brains out, I hope you will join me.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Translation:

senseamp: "Oh oh, I see where he is going with this and I am going to be nominated for a self-ownage award of the year if I continue the discussion and answer his question truthfully."

Thanks, you are dismissed. I hear lettuce prices might be going up, you'd better start a thread.

I am dismissed from debating you? Praise the lord. :D