Government health care for Murtha

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Is this what we can expect from government health care?
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/02/08/murthas-intestine-damaged-surgery/

EDIT: I better clarify before I get labeled a cold hearted bastard. Sad that anyone died from a medical mistake. Every life is important even if I think the guy was a hack. I was highlighting that a politician was killed by a medical mistake made by a government run facility. Gall bladder surgery is common place today. It should not have happened but it did.

Last edited:

Carmen813

Diamond Member
May 18, 2007

EDIT: I better clarify before I get labeled a cold hearted bastard. Sad that anyone died from a medical mistake. Every life is important even if I think the guy was a hack. I was highlighting that a politician was killed by a medical mistake made by a government run facility. Gall bladder surgery is common place today. It should not have happened but it did.

Do you really want us to start looking for mistakes made in private practice? Your point is anecdotal at best.

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
There's nothing routine about any surgery, things can and will go wrong.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
He was at a VA hospital. There is no healthcare reform bill, nor has there ever been one, that proposed that hospitals be seized and run by the government.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
If we assume the medical mistake was not deliberate, it somewhat shows three things.

1. No doctor is perfect and no medical surgery is without risk. If it can happen to Murtha, it can happen to you or me.

2. If its happened to Mr&Mrs. nobody, it would not even make the news, but when it happens to someone who is high profile, it makes the news.

3. As we get older, our ability to bounce back lessens, and at age 77 and probably overweight, even minor mistakes can become fatal.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
He was at a VA hospital. There is no healthcare reform bill, nor has there ever been one, that proposed that hospitals be seized and run by the government.

NNMC is the flagship of the of the UNS's medical systems. You are correct, there isn't a health care reform bill.

jhu

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

The reason we have medical mistakes is because doctors are human! People seem to forget that 100% mistake-free outcomes are impossible because humans will always make mistakes sometime during their lifetime. Also, if Murtha was younger, he probably would have been able to survive his complications. That's just a fact of life.

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
I think the question is how much is "How much is his family getting compensated for this mistake?"

xenolith

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2000
Gall bladder surgery is common place today. It should not have happened but it did.

As long as imperfect humans are involved in the practice of medicine, even the most common medical and surgical treatments and procedures will be imperfect.

Doctors (and government officials) are not Gods.