Gov. Pence: States with anti-SSM amendments have fastest growing economies

Status
Not open for further replies.

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
http://www.nomblog.com/36712

During a visit to Evansville this week, Indiana Governor Mike Pence pointed out the correlation between states that protect marriage as husband and wife and strong economic growth:

Governor Pence was in town to introduce a new state based initiative office at the Evansville Rotary. He says that many of the 32 states that define traditional marriage in their charters have some of the fastest growing economies, including Indiana, drawing a correlation between a ban on same-sex marriage and economic development. Pence says the federal government has outlined it's role in marriage equality and now wants the people of Indiana to have a say on how it is recognized in the state. "As someone who believes in traditional marriage, I believe marriage is between a man and a woman. I do support efforts to allow the people of Indiana to make that decision whether we include the traditional definition of marriage in our state constitution and I think that's appropriate," Pence said.

Pence says he's confident if the issue is on the ballot, voters will reaffirm the state's existing laws banning same sex marriage. -WFIE

I have no idea what data, if any, Pence is using to support the correlation he's saying exists.

If we accept his premise, however, we can also logically say that anti-SSM amendments cause obesity, low education levels, and low median household income levels. Nine of the 10 fattest states have constitutional bans on same-sex marriage; the tenth, West Virginia, prohibits it by statute. Of the 10 states with the fewest college-degree holders, nine have constitutional bans, and again the tenth is good ol' West Virginia. And all 10 states with the lowest median household income decline to recognize same-sex marriage. So, we suppose, if marriage equality bans help economic growth, they also stunt healthy eating, education, and incomes.

I think it's probably much better for the Governor of Indiana to not make dumbass statements than for us to assume (because there's no data) that anti-SSM amendments have anything to do with economic development, obesity, education, or household income levels.

I can't say I'm surprised that NOM would pounce on this from Gov. Pence, either. They're desperate for anything they think is good news over at NOM.

Last edited:

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012

I have no idea what data, if any, Pence is using to support the correlation he's saying exists.

If we accept his premise, however, we can also logically say that anti-SSM amendments cause obesity, low education levels, and low median household income levels. Nine of the 10 fattest states have constitutional bans on same-sex marriage; the tenth, West Virginia, prohibits it by statute. Of the 10 states with the fewest college-degree holders, nine have constitutional bans, and again the tenth is good ol' West Virginia. And all 10 states with the lowest median household income decline to recognize same-sex marriage. So, we suppose, if marriage equality bans help economic growth, they also stunt healthy eating, education, and incomes.

I think it's probably much better for the Governor of Indiana to not make dumbass statements than for us to assume (because there's no data) that anti-SSM amendments have anything to do with economic development, obesity, education, or household income levels.

I can't say I'm surprised that NOM would pounce on this from Gov. Pence, either. They're desperate for anything they think is good news over at NOM.

Oh really?

http://www.wapt.com/news/central-mi...-U-S/-/9156912/19735842/-/esnkyt/-/index.html
New data from the University of Alabama at Birmingham shows Missouri has the highest obesity rate, and puts Mississippi fourth on the list.

Minnesota placed second on the list, with Louisiana coming in third.

Pretty sure Minnesota has legal gay marriage.

More, http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2013/04/people_in_the_south_are_not_so.html
How did Southerners get such a fat reputation? Apparently because they are more truthful.

The notion that the South is the fattest comes primarily from a nationwide telephone survey done by the Centers for Disease Control, in which the surveyor asks for height and weight, among other things, Howard said.

That survey, the Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System (BRFSS), shows the South as the most obese, with Mississippi and Alabama, the number one and two fattest states respectively.

UAB study compared nine Census Bureau regions and found that East Souh Central was fifth, not first, in percentage of its population obese.

But the UAB researchers found that when people were actually weighed, the numbers didn't add up.

So apparently the so called "Fat states" just don't delude themselves into thinking they weight less than they actually do. It should be no coincidence that states that do not delude themselves about weight also do not delude themselves into thinking that straight and gay relationships are the same.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Someone needs to let the governor know that correlation =/= causation. If he has any real data that would also indicate causation, lets see it.

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
So apparently the so called "Fat states" just don't delude themselves into thinking they weight less than they actually do. It should be no coincidence that states that do not delude themselves about weight also do not delude themselves into thinking that straight and gay relationships are the same.

What you neglected to point out, because it makes you look even more stupid, is the link you provided says Missouri is the fattest state. Guess what Missouri has... an anti-SSM amendment.

In seriousness, though, you've missed the point, as usual: Correlations without supporting data are bad... whether it is that marriage amendments cause fast economic growth or that they cause obesity, lower median household incomes, etc.

Last edited:

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Pence is pitching to a Hate-um fags! audience, so he'll just fling whatever shit he can find, hope some of it sticks.

He doesn't have to make sense to make a point they'll appreciate.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007

Does anyone have a transcript of what he actually said, rather than what a blog says he said?

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007

Okay. The only thing they actually quote him as saying is this: ""As someone who believes in traditional marriage, I believe marriage is between a man and a woman. I do support efforts to allow the people of Indiana to make that decision whether we include the traditional definition of marriage in our state constitution and I think that's appropriate."

Double Trouble

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Does anyone have a transcript of what he actually said, rather than what a blog says he said?

That's what I was wondering as well. Just because some blog provides their interpretation of what the guy said doesn't mean he actually said that. Especially when it's a blog with a political lean and agenda.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
i'm sure texas is on that list so that's incorrect, texas has an anti-marriage amendment. there are no state marriages in texas and haven't been since 2006. not many people have caught on yet, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.