Gov Kemp of Georgia blocks mandatory mask wearing in entire state

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
No. It's calling out the usual incorrect assumptions and restating my position. This has been my position all along and it's been on full public display in the OT Coronavirus thread. The assumptions here when anyone says anything about taking criticism too far speaks volumes. ...and it happens every single time.

You can look back to January where I was telling Zinfamous and others where to buy N95 masks and @Amused was telling everyone to "STOP. BUYING. MASKS." and responding with vitriol when I would argue against him.

Kemp has been good about being seen wearing his mask in public and encouraging others to wear them up until he blocked local mandates. I had already stated my opposition to that move in the OT thread before ever participating in this one. No "backflip." Check yourself of you don't believe me.

Dude, N95 masks are still pointless overkill. Now that we have shifted to wearing masks to protect others, basic surgical or cloth masks are just fine.

I wonder, does it make you feel good to point out people who changed their mind about masks with new evidence, like Fauci and every other epidemiologist did? Because you sure can't seem to let it go. I simply passed on the advice of the experts at the time. Which is what ANY non-expert should do.

Last edited:
Reactions: KMFJD

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Dude, N95 masks are still pointless overkill. Now that we have shifted to wearing masks to protect others, basic surgical or cloth masks are just fine.
...and I wear a basic surgical mask most of the time. They have a meaningful effect. Doesn't mean N95 is "overkill." Obviously we don't want them being wasted when there is a continued shortage now and they are more needed on the front line.

I wonder, does it make you feel good to point out people who changed their mind about masks with new evidence, like Fauci and every other epidemiologist did? Because you sure can't seem to let it go.
Re-read my post. Read the conversation. I was accused of "backflipping." I tagged you merely so that you could attest that I did not change my position and have held this pro-mask position since January. I said nothing about you changing yours since the conversation was about my position before, during, and after my posts in this thread. My record proves I held the same opinions about Trump, Kemp, masks, and mandates before this thread even existed.

I simply passed on the advice of the experts at the time. Which is what ANY non-expert should do.
CNN are not "experts" and I pointed out to you AT THE TIME that the CDC was not actually saying that N95 was ineffective and that CNN was wrong to attribute the shortage to Americans panic-buying. The reason online markets were sold out back in January was because of Daigo (parallel traders) buying them up around the world and sending them all to China. CNN simply didn't know what we know.

Last edited:

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Two Senate seats up for grabs in Georgia. If Kemp blows it for the GOP, not going to be good for them.

He's already blown it. He & other Trumpist Governors blew it when they reopened too soon & too fast. They're still blowing it. It'll be like a chorus of Baghdad Bobs pretty quick here. Their whole schtick about personal responsibility & blah-blah-blah obviously isn't working fer shit. They end up trying to sweet talk the mindless anti-gubmint contrarianism they've cultivated for decades.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
...and I wear a basic surgical mask most of the time. They have a meaningful effect. Doesn't mean N95 is "overkill." Obviously we don't want them being wasted when there is a continued shortage now and they are more needed on the front line.

Re-read my post. Read the conversation. I was accused of "backflipping." I tagged you merely so that you could attest that I did not change my position and have held this pro-mask position since January. I said nothing about you changing yours since the conversation was about my position before, during, and after my posts in this thread. My record proves I held the same opinions about Trump, Kemp, masks, and mandates before this thread even existed.

CNN are not "experts" and I pointed out to you AT THE TIME that the CDC was not actually saying that N95 was ineffective and that CNN was wrong to attribute the shortage to Americans panic-buying. The reason online markets were sold out back in January was because of Daigo (parallel traders) buying them up around the world and sending them all to China. CNN simply didn't know what we know.

No, that is a CNN article about virtually all the experts in the field changing their minds on masks and why. Not an article about CNN changing their minds.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
No, that is a CNN article about virtually all the experts in the field changing their minds on masks and why. Not an article about CNN changing their minds.

Ugh. Don't get sucked into a pointless argument about who said what when about masks. We're past that. It no longer matters. Trump & GOP governors have ignored the science & politicized the pandemic, needlessy risking the lives of millions of people. And they'll apparently keep right on doing it, too. If the public health people dragged them from their offices & strung them up from the nearest tree I'd call it justice.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
He's clueless about how science works. When new facts are found you make changes based on the new facts.

Maxima1

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
He's clueless about how science works. When new facts are found you make changes based on the new facts.

These were the reasons given below. They were suspected to be the case long before April, and what happened to better safe than sorry?

-- It's easy to spread this virus by just talking or breathing.
-- This coronavirus is highly contagious. Without mitigation efforts like stay-at-home orders, each person with the coronavirus infects an average of two to three other people. That makes it twice as contagious as the flu.
-- It's easy to spread the coronavirus without any symptoms -- either from asymptomatic carriers or pre-symptomatic carriers.
-- This virus has a long incubation period -- up to 14 days -- giving a wide window of opportunity for people to infect others before they even know they're infected.
-- Carriers may be most contagious in the 48 hours before they get symptoms, making transmission even more blind.

Reactions: Aegeon

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
These were the reasons given below. They were suspected to be the case long before April, and what happened to better safe than sorry?

-- It's easy to spread this virus by just talking or breathing.
-- This coronavirus is highly contagious. Without mitigation efforts like stay-at-home orders, each person with the coronavirus infects an average of two to three other people. That makes it twice as contagious as the flu.
-- It's easy to spread the coronavirus without any symptoms -- either from asymptomatic carriers or pre-symptomatic carriers.
-- This virus has a long incubation period -- up to 14 days -- giving a wide window of opportunity for people to infect others before they even know they're infected.
-- Carriers may be most contagious in the 48 hours before they get symptoms, making transmission even more blind.

Because it changed the focus of masking to protect oneself, to masking everyone to protect each other from yourself. From protecting yourself to assuming you yourself are infected and the mask you wear protects others from you.

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
Intelligent people often change their view, based on new information, you know science. The real details of how COVID spreads, the fact that people are often asymptotic yet contagious, droplets vs. airborne, etc., etc., require changes in tactics.

Stupid people just stay in their comfort zone, ignorance. The proof is demonstrated with religions or tRump worshipers.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Because it changed the focus of masking to protect oneself, to masking everyone to protect each other from yourself. From protecting yourself to assuming you yourself are infected and the mask you wear protects others from you.
In Trumplandia, nobody really gives a fuck about anybody else. That's the whole problem with the personal responsibility routine. They don't owe anybody anything. They're taking care of #1 & that's it. Anything else would be soshulism. Wear a mask? Make me, libtard.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
48beb02c0fdf1a02457d49fd373adb9a.jpg

"AT THE TIME."

"At the time" you were referencing a different CNN article. Neither you nor I was talking about the CNN article you just linked. I didn't even quote that. Clearly, since I emphasized "AT THE TIME," I was talking about the one you linked back in January. You know:
Stop. Buying. Masks.

It's useless and stupid.

This whole hysteria is pointless.

There's been a run of surgical masks in the US because of the coronavirus scare. You don't need them, physicians say

All the experts in the CNN article were very careful not to say that masks were ineffective. In fact, they even suggested that surgical masks can "offer some protection." None of those experts blamed Americans panic-buying for the mask shortage. That was all CNN, which is why I was compelled to point out that CNN is just a news organization prone to assumptions and certainly were not "experts." I also pointed this out to you way back then but you rejected it and called me an Alex Jones conspiracy nut. Point is, when you exasperatedly told everyone to stop buying masks, you weren't "simply passing on the advice of experts at the time."

*facepalm*

Where do you get that from Amused referencing the advice he shared "at the time" and still somehow getting confused about which CNN article we were talking about? I made it pretty clear which one I was talking about in response to his assertion that he was merely passing along expert opinions at the time.

He wasn't. He was getting vindictive and judgemental while mocking others based on CNN's non-expert slant. None of the experts in that article supported CNN's slant. Their slant was based on an assumption we already knew was false (that the January shortages were from Americans panic-buying). All the experts back then would say was that there was no evidence "yet" and they wouldn't recommend using them "yet" since they were not aware of community transmission in the USA... yet.

Ugh. Don't get sucked into a pointless argument about who said what when about masks. We're past that.
If hal2kilo and Amused's posts above are anything to go by, I guess we aren't past that. Somehow, this always happens. It's pretty darn clear what CNN article I was talking about.

The article you linked in January clearly says that is the primary purpose for non-N95 surgical masks, yet here you are trying to use that to distinguish now from then.

...but, hey: I never wanted to make this about you changing your mind. I wasn't trying to contrast your position now vs. then. You're the one dragging us back through all that. I was pointing out the lack of contrast in my own position to establish that my opinion on masks predates this thread.

Intelligent people often change their view, based on new information, you know science. The real details of how COVID spreads, the fact that people are often asymptotic yet contagious, droplets vs. airborne, etc., etc., require changes in tactics.

Stupid people just stay in their comfort zone, ignorance. The proof is demonstrated with religions or tRump worshipers.
...and I didn't say anything about him changing his views. Again, I only tagged him so he could validate that my position was consistent from before this thread existed so the accusation that I "backflipped" is demonstrably incorrect. I did not criticize him for changing his mind. I didn't even mention that he changed his mind. He came in here assuming that I had resumed an argument with him when I had not. All he had to do was verify that, yes, my position on masks predates this thread. It was a response to an demonstrably-false insinuation that I had backpedaled so hard in this thread that I "backflipped." Not true at all.

In Trumplandia, nobody really gives a fuck about anybody else. That's the whole problem with the personal responsibility routine. They don't owe anybody anything. They're taking care of #1 & that's it. Anything else would be soshulism. Wear a mask? Make me, libtard.
So, which is it? Am I a Trump apologist living in Trumplandia who only cares about myself, opposes mandates, and refuses to wear a mask while daring people to make me?

...or did I vote against Trump, criticise Trump's stubborn refusal to wear a mask, secure my masks back in January, help others secure their masks, wear my mask, encourage others to wear masks, and object to Kemp overturning mask mandates?

The later one is all verifiably true with a public post history predating the thread.

This is a tangent caused by me DARING to say that we undermine our credibility as Trump critics when we scrape the bottom of the barrel for pointless critiques about breaking Atlanta law when their are mountains of valid criticisms regarding Trump's mask policy/behavious.

Just take the feedback. It doesn't mean I'm anti-mask or pro-Trump. It's pretty freakin' funny that explicitly stating that I am pro-mask and anti-Trump results in the assumption that I must've just backflipped from my position earlier in this thread... since I can prove I didn't. It's impossible to have a nuanced position without triggering that knee-jerk reaction from people here... and it really wasn't that nuanced, people (against Trump but also against extreme hyperbole that undermines our valid criticisms).

Last edited:

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
The , I'm assuming "a member of the Republican party who supports free speech" Governor of Georgia has filed a law suit against the Mayor of Atlanta to prevent her from issuing press releases and talking to the press.

What a coward...

"Gov Kemp respectfully "prays" that this court.... :rolleyes:

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
48beb02c0fdf1a02457d49fd373adb9a.jpg

"AT THE TIME."

"At the time" you were referencing a different CNN article. Neither you nor I was talking about the CNN article you just linked. I didn't even quote that. Clearly, since I emphasized "AT THE TIME," I was talking about the one you linked back in January. You know:

All the experts in the CNN article were very careful not to say that masks were ineffective. In fact, they even suggested that surgical masks can "offer some protection." None of those experts blamed Americans panic-buying for the mask shortage. That was all CNN, which is why I was compelled to point out that CNN is just a news organization prone to assumptions and certainly were not "experts." I also pointed this out to you way back then but you rejected it and called me an Alex Jones conspiracy nut. Point is, when you exasperatedly told everyone to stop buying masks, you weren't "simply passing on the advice of experts at the time."

*facepalm*

Where do you get that from Amused referencing the advice he shared "at the time" and still somehow getting confused about which CNN article we were talking about? I made it pretty clear which one I was talking about in response to his assertion that he was merely passing along expert opinions at the time.

He wasn't. He was getting vindictive and judgemental while mocking others based on CNN's non-expert slant. None of the experts in that article supported CNN's slant. Their slant was based on an assumption we already knew was false (that the January shortages were from Americans panic-buying). All the experts back then would say was that there was no evidence "yet" and they wouldn't recommend using them "yet" since they were not aware of community transmission in the USA... yet.

If hal2kilo and Amused's posts above are anything to go by, I guess we aren't past that. Somehow, this always happens. It's pretty darn clear what CNN article I was talking about.

The article you linked in January clearly says that is the primary purpose for non-N95 surgical masks, yet here you are trying to use that to distinguish now from then.

...but, hey: I never wanted to make this about you changing your mind. I wasn't trying to contrast your position now vs. then. You're the one dragging us back through all that. I was pointing out the lack of contrast in my own position to establish that my opinion on masks predates this thread.

...and I didn't say anything about him changing his views. Again, I only tagged him so he could validate that my position was consistent from before this thread existed so the accusation that I "backflipped" is demonstrably incorrect. I did not criticize him for changing his mind. I didn't even mention that he changed his mind. He came in here assuming that I had resumed an argument with him when I had not. All he had to do was verify that, yes, my position on masks predates this thread. It was a response to an demonstrably-false insinuation that I had backpedaled so hard in this thread that I "backflipped." Not true at all.

So, which is it? Am I a Trump apologist living in Trumplandia who only cares about myself, opposes mandates, and refuses to wear a mask while daring people to make me?

...or did I vote against Trump, criticise Trump's stubborn refusal to wear a mask, secure my masks back in January, help others secure their masks, wear my mask, encourage others to wear masks, and object to Kemp overturning mask mandates?

The later one is all verifiably true with a public post history predating the thread.

This is a tangent caused by me DARING to say that we undermine our credibility as Trump critics when we scrape the bottom of the barrel for pointless critiques about breaking Atlanta law when their are mountains of valid criticisms regarding Trump's mask policy/behavious.

Just take the feedback. It doesn't mean I'm anti-mask or pro-Trump. It's pretty freakin' funny that explicitly stating that I am pro-mask and anti-Trump results in the assumption that I must've just backflipped from my position earlier in this thread... since I can prove I didn't. It's impossible to have a nuanced position without triggering that knee-jerk reaction from people here... and it really wasn't that nuanced, people (against Trump but also against extreme hyperbole that undermines our valid criticisms).

What the hell are you in this thread arguing about then?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: ch33zw1z

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Last I checked ECMO and ventilators helped a lot more than thoughts and prayers.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
The , I'm assuming "a member of the Republican party who supports free speech" Governor of Georgia has filed a law suit against the Mayor of Atlanta to prevent her from issuing press releases and talking to the press.

What a coward...

"Gov Kemp respectfully "prays" that this court.... :rolleyes:
Students at a university protest an offensive speaker? Signs of liberals destroying free speech. Governor of a state trying to use the power of the government to forcibly stop people from speaking? Crickets.

Mar 11, 2004
What the hell are you in this thread arguing about then?

Its what him and his piece of shit brother do. They try and quibble and never stop because they think that automatically wins an argument. No matter how fucking stupid they have to go or bullshit they have to spew or straight up lies they have to make in order to get there. As long as they can quibble pointless fucking bullshit til everyone stops arguing with them they think they win (which is why they're trying to argue with Amused, because they think they "won", while arguing like complete dumbshits - which they seemingly can't seem to get that the more they do that, the more it shows how fucking stupid they really are). Literally one time they argued with me after I linked an expert they used to claim something literally came out and said that anyone doing that is wrong and she absolutely was did not support that conclusion, and then tried to continue arguing with me after doing so. And that's one of the least stupid arguments I've seen from them.

Reactions: nickqt and Meghan54

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

That remark was not addressed at you personally. I have not accused you of backflipping. It is you who has diverted discussion away from the topic at hand to show your outraged fee-fees, over and over again. Where will you direct it as the pandemic overwhelms the hospital system where you live? That's what's happening now all across the Southland. On the current trajectory it'll be an insane horror story a scant two weeks from today & an unimaginable catastrophe in a month. Because freedumb, don't you know?

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Another responsible Republican Governor at work. When are these douchebags going to pay a price?

Hopefully it starts this fall.

Reactions: FaaR

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
He's already blown it. He & other Trumpist Governors blew it when they reopened too soon & too fast.

Unless they can sell a whopper to the electorate along the lines of "the Dems (or whichever scapegoat) made me do it".

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Unless they can sell a whopper to the electorate along the lines of "the Dems (or whichever scapegoat) made me do it".

Dont even need to. Just say the Dem was would be big gubbermint take over with mandatory masks and social distancing == communism and done

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Dont even need to. Just say the Dem was would be big gubbermint take over with mandatory masks and social distancing == communism and done

You know who else wears masks? Mooslims! Antifas! Terrarists! MS-13!

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

150k death toll before end of July, /shocking

Remember the Denial when I said we might have 500K dead by the election? We may get there yet if we count all the excess deaths.