Gov Kemp of Georgia blocks mandatory mask wearing in entire state

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
He is a master of lying to manipulate people. He is not intelligent, he is functional illiterate, he is morally corrupt, he is just a con-man without a conscious.

Of course, the difference is he is also a malignant narcissist, to the degree he actually seems to believe his own fiction. There is a fundamental lack of respect for facts here that we simply haven't seen before. Pretty sure all previous repugs understood that working with Russians to take office illegitimately is called treason. Normal con men just want to make money, it takes an altogether deeper kind of pathology to treat American civilians as well as enlisted with such callow disregard, where his image/ego is more important than hundreds of thousands of dead Americans, and a lot more on the way.

None of this requires exceptional intelligence, but it is aided by exceptionally low intelligence. I think clueless is a fitting description. Just like the republican brain donor that preceded him, I've yet to hear him say something that struck me as informed, intelligent and insightful. It's either him flailing away with a teleprompter trying recite topics incomprehensible to him, or more commonly, a vigorous round of verbal diarrhea where partially digested word salad spews everywhere.

Once again we have a repub admin headed by a moron who squandered what he was given, then made things exponentially worse. Once again Dems are going to inherit an absolute clusterfuck they'll have to fix, and with repug obstruction all along the way again most likely. I'm as tired of the rhyming as I am the wining.

Last edited:

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
He is a master of lying to manipulate people. He is not intelligent, he is functional illiterate, he is morally corrupt, he is just a con-man without a conscious.

"Conscience" is the word you want. He's America's greatest con man ever & has an enormous coterie of enablers & sycophants. Otherwise he wouldn't be President.

Reactions: hal2kilo

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
"Conscience" is the word you want. He's America's greatest con man ever & has an enormous coterie of enablers & sycophants. Otherwise he wouldn't be President.
Perhaps I should have stuck with my original thought "he doesn't give a flying fuck about anyone else"

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Methinks Trump being a lifelong conman hasn't been stressed enough as far as his criminally influenced character is concerned.

To reiterate, being a conman involves not only having the ability, it also includes the compulsion to be that way, the abandonment of all moral and ethical folkways, mores and statutes and the lack of natural and learned skills to be competitive in any given career field that would preclude the need for being a swindler in the first place.

This is Donald Trump in all of his despicable glory, and this is the guy that conned millions of folks into thinking he's a really nice honest guy that pulls no punches, is the greatest president we've had the privilege to put in office and after more than three years of proving beyond all doubt he is all that a conman ever wanted to be, still maintains the unshakable confidence of those fools who bought into the false image he projected onto them way back when.

This is not so much a statement about the vile nature of that man. More so, it's an indictment of how millions of Americans can be led to believe the unbelievable despite every obvious indication to the contrary.

Grey_Beard

Golden Member
Sep 23, 2014
Methinks Trump being a lifelong conman hasn't been stressed enough as far as his criminally influenced character is concerned.

To reiterate, being a conman involves not only having the ability, it also includes the compulsion to be that way, the abandonment of all moral and ethical folkways, mores and statutes and the lack of natural and learned skills to be competitive in any given career field that would preclude the need for being a swindler in the first place.

This is Donald Trump in all of his despicable glory, and this is the guy that conned millions of folks into thinking he's a really nice honest guy that pulls no punches, is the greatest president we've had the privilege to put in office and after more than three years of proving beyond all doubt he is all that a conman ever wanted to be, still maintains the unshakable confidence of those fools who bought into the false image he projected onto them way back when.

This is not so much a statement about the vile nature of that man. More so, it's an indictment of how millions of Americans can be led to believe the unbelievable despite every obvious indication to the contrary.

38f54a57602816d77dffda03fa19aee9.jpg

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Kemp, a brain stunted version of Trump in all ways except he being Trump's equal in their ability to lie, cheat and steal with the same sense of accomplishment they reward themselves with.

But then I guess what really matters to the Repub base is their champion's ability to win elections with every other despicable dastardly thing about them being forgivable/ignorable, even highly regarded to most I dare say.

The kicker? It's the Repub base's unique ability to project those same disqualifying features their leaders possess onto the Dems and see it in a whole different unforgivable kind of way.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Kemp, a brain stunted version of Trump in all ways except he being Trump's equal in their ability to lie, cheat and steal with the same sense of accomplishment they reward themselves with.

But then I guess what really matters to the Repub base is their champion's ability to win elections with every other despicable dastardly thing about them being forgivable/ignorable, even highly regarded to most I dare say.

The kicker? It's the Repub base's unique ability to project those same disqualifying features their leaders possess onto the Dems and see it in a whole different unforgivable kind of way.
Maybe he can chalk it up to being a CTE victim if he gets sued.

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
Isn’t this the same Brian Kemp who believed when running for governor, that “education policy should always revolve around the fundamental concept of local control”?

Reactions: ch33zw1z

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Stacey Abrams is correctly calling out Kemp for being a feckless coward. Too bad Georgia, hundreds of you people would likely still be alive if only your state were less into racism and more into fair and transparent elections.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
To Trump? Well, Trump refuses to wear a mask at ATL airport—Atlanta’s mayor went on CNN and pointed out how POTUS broke the law, as ATL is owned by the city and Atlanta is under a mandatory mask ordinance. So Kemp comes in and says no one can enforce mask-wearing and cite POTUS for non-compliance.
ATL (Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta Airport) is in nearby College Park, not Atlanta.

Sure, places even further away, like Union City, like to put "Atlanta" on their address, but Atlanta has no jurisdiction at ATL. If Fulton County had a mask mandate then he may have been in violation there but Atlanta Mayor Bottoms doesn't dictate mask policy for the county. Heck, I recall that ATL has their own Airport PD instead of College Park PD, and they have duty-free areas where there is even more question about who can enforce what local laws.

...so, no, Atlanta does not dictate mask policy for ATL. Even if they did, Trump was probably surrounded by his pre-cleared entourage, which would mean he wasn't around others in "public" and was not in violation.

We all love to hate on Trump but there's no need to scrape the bottom of the barrel and make things up.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
ATL (Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta Airport) is in nearby College Park, not Atlanta.

Sure, places even further away, like Union City, like to put "Atlanta" on their address, but Atlanta has no jurisdiction at ATL. If Fulton County had a mask mandate then he may have been in violation there but Atlanta Mayor Bottoms doesn't dictate mask policy for the county. Heck, I recall that ATL has their own Airport PD instead of College Park PD, and they have duty-free areas where there is even more question about who can enforce what local laws.

...so, no, Atlanta does not dictate mask policy for ATL. Even if they did, Trump was probably surrounded by his pre-cleared entourage, which would mean he wasn't around others in "public" and was not in violation.

We all love to hate on Trump but there's no need to scrape the bottom of the barrel and make things up.

That's incorrect in several regards. College Park adopted a mask ordinance July 10, before Trump arrived.

College Park, GA (Friday, July 10, 2020) - The Mayor and Council for the City of College Park held a special called meeting on Friday, July 10 to adopt a public mask ordinance amid the Covid-19 pandemic. College Park now joins East Point, Atlanta, Decatur and other metro cities to put forth a mandate aimed at controlling the spread of the coronavirus.

The reason the airport has separate police is that they're under the jurisdiction of the city of Atlanta so Atlanta rules apply, anyway.

We all know Trump DGAF about no stinking rules. Rules are for other people.

alien42

Lifer
Nov 28, 2004
That's incorrect in several regards. College Park adopted a mask ordinance July 10, before Trump arrived.

The reason the airport has separate police is that they're under the jurisdiction of the city of Atlanta so Atlanta rules apply, anyway.

We all know Trump DGAF about no stinking rules. Rules are for other people.

as a GA resident and someone who worked around the airport until Covid hit, i can confirm you are correct. the ATL airport actually sits on two counties (Fulton and Clayton) and three cities (Atlanta, College Park and Hapeville). the airport being under the jurisdiction and control of the city of Atlanta is also patrolled by the APD.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I'll just weigh in with a highbrow assessment.

Gov. Kemp is a scumbag.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
The weird thing about this anti-mask sentiment IMO is that it is counter-productive to the economic recovery. To get people shopping and going to the movies and sports events, etc again, we need to either stop the virus and/or restore people's faith that they can be out in public safely. Mask wearing does both.

Reactions: Meghan54 and CZroe

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
The weird thing about this anti-mask sentiment IMO is that it is counter-productive to the economic recovery. To get people shopping and going to the movies and sports events, etc again, we need to either stop the virus and/or restore people's faith that they can be out in public safely. Mask wearing does both.
Now you are expecting that these people are capable of a thought process... when their only thought process is that their orange idol doesn't like masks.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
The desperation to defend the orange simian is really amazing at times....

???

I voted against Trump but his entourage from a secure flight is not "the public" and the mask orders only apply when unable to ensure social distancing while exposed to the public. Surely, there are more substantial aspects of the President's mask policy to criticize. It really is scraping the bottom of the barrel to take those images of his arrival and make a big deal about him of breaking the mask law in Atlanta when we don't even know if it applies to the airport (regardless of who polices it) and we know it doesn't apply to a private entourage. "Knowing" that the airport is in College Park is because I'm local on the College Park side... not because I went out of my way to research it and defend Trump. Indeed, that's why I was wrong about the particulars of who administered the airport (didn't think I had to look it up).

FWIW, when I said ATL was in College Park, ATL is essentially two airports: Domestic (College Park) and International (Hapeville). Unless things are very different for presidential flights Trump would have been at the domestic side. If that side extends up into Atlanta, I was unaware. I hear news about College Park calling the shots for Domestic ATL all the time and never hear anything about the City of Atlanta doing the same.

I considered that College Park may also have a mandate but I was addressing the notion that Trump was in violation of Atlanta Mayor Bottoms' mandate and that they had jurisdiction. Even knowing now that APD administers the airport, we still don't know how (or if) the mask mandate applies. I would hope so, but this kind of confusion (especially with travelers) is exactly why the governor believes city and county mandates are unenforceable. As I said in the OT Coronavirus thread, I disagree with the governor using enforceability as a reason to overturn mask mandates and I wish he would make a state-wide mask mandate. Increased mask usage is tho goal and "enforceability" is the least of my concerns.

More people will wear masks with a mask mandate. More businesses will require masks with a mask mandate. More places that were on the fence about mandating masks or waiting for guidance from the government will mandate masks with a mask mandate. Kemp absolutely should mandate them if he wants to push forward with reopening the state.

Exactly.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
???

I voted against Trump but his entourage from a secure flight is not "the public" and the mask orders only apply when unable to ensure social distancing while exposed to the public. Surely, there are more substantial aspects of the President's mask policy to criticize. It really is scraping the bottom of the barrel to take those images of his arrival and make a big deal about him of breaking the mask law in Atlanta when we don't even know if it applies to the airport (regardless of who polices it) and we know it doesn't apply to a private entourage. "Knowing" that the airport is in College Park is because I'm local on the College Park side... not because I went out of my way to research it and defend Trump. Indeed, that's why I was wrong about the particulars of who administered the airport (didn't think I had to look it up).

FWIW, when I said ATL was in College Park, ATL is essentially two airports: Domestic (College Park) and International (Hapeville). Unless things are very different for presidential flights Trump would have been at the domestic side. If that side extends up into Atlanta, I was unaware. I hear news about College Park calling the shots for Domestic ATL all the time and never hear anything about the City of Atlanta doing the same.

I considered that College Park may also have a mandate but I was addressing the notion that Trump was in violation of Atlanta Mayor Bottoms' mandate and that they had jurisdiction. Even knowing now that APD administers the airport, we still don't know how (or if) the mask mandate applies. I would hope so, but this kind of confusion (especially with travelers) is exactly why the governor believes city and county mandates are unenforceable. As I said in the OT Coronavirus thread, I disagree with the governor using enforceability as a reason to overturn mask mandates and I wish he would make a state-wide mask mandate. Increased mask usage is tho goal and "enforceability" is the least of my concerns.

More people will wear masks with a mask mandate. More businesses will require masks with a mask mandate. More places that were on the fence about mandating masks or waiting for guidance from the government will mandate masks with a mask mandate. Kemp absolutely should mandate them if he wants to push forward with reopening the state.

Exactly.

Desperate obfuscation. Trump leads by example, and he don't wear no stinking mask, even if local authorities mandate it. His marching morons will do the same. Muh freedumb. They're not covering anybody's back but their own. Spiteful & ignorant one way sunsabitches. Fuck you, Libtards.

The clincher is that when Kemp acts directly against the interests of public health Trump remains silent. I'm rather certain Kemp did it to please Trump & stay on the right side of his minions. What happens next? Rona gonna do 'em hard, very hard, and there's no way to turn it back until that actually happens. Poor bastids have let themselves get gaslit all to Hell & gone & everybody gets to pay for it.

The number of new cases per day has quadrupled in a month in Georgia, from about 800/day to 3200/day. That'll pretty much turns into 6400/day in two weeks, even if they went to a hard lockdown yesterday. If they keep fucking around, it'll be 12K/day a month from now & there's no way their hospital system can handle that. Not a fucking prayer. The Southern experience with the virus will make what NYC went through look like a walk in the park.

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Desperate obfuscation. Trump leads by example, and he don't wear no stinking mask, even if local authorities mandate it. His marching morons will do the same. Muh freedumb. They're not covering anybody's back but their own. Spiteful & ignorant one way sunsabitches. Fuck you, Libtards.
...except that I, too, am critical of Trump for not leading by example and wearing a mask.

Not obfuscating anything... and not sorry for bringing a dose of reality when we start showing signs of being unhinged.

The clincher is that when Kemp acts directly against the interests of public health Trump remains silent. I'm rather certain Kemp did it to please Trump & stay on the right side of his minions. What happens next? Rona gonna do 'em hard, very hard, and there's no way to turn it back until that actually happens. Poor bastids have let themselves get gaslit all to Hell & gone & everybody gets to pay for it.

The number of new cases per day has quadrupled in a month in Georgia, from about 800/day to 3200/day. That'll pretty much turns into 6400/day in two weeks, even if they went to a hard lockdown yesterday. If they keep fucking around, it'll be 12K/day a month from now & there's no way their hospital system can handle that. Not a fucking prayer. The Southern experience with the virus will make what NYC went through look like a walk in the park.
Yeah. This is much more effective criticism than "ZOMG! Trump broke Atlanta law!" Trump and Brian Kemp have a lot of explaining to do. At first Georgia's trajectory was not as bad as the rest of the southeast and CA but it seems that luck has run out.

Though Kemp has been encouraging masks all along stopping only short of mandating them, I totally expect Kemp and Trump to eat crow on their mask agendas. We need mandates. NOW. Kemp blocking local mandates was a bad move. Trump visibly shunning masks while we need to be encouraging masks is a bad move. Plenty of legitimate criticisms without stopping to the disingenuous "ZOMG! Trump broke Atlanta's laws" criticism. That was my original point.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Two Senate seats up for grabs in Georgia. If Kemp blows it for the GOP, not going to be good for them.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
...except that I, too, am critical of Trump for not leading by example and wearing a mask.

Not obfuscating anything... and not sorry for bringing a dose of reality when we start showing signs of being unhinged.

Yeah. This is much more effective criticism than "ZOMG! Trump broke Atlanta law!" Trump and Brian Kemp have a lot of explaining to do. At first Georgia's trajectory was not as bad as the rest of the southeast and CA but it seems that luck has run out.

Though Kemp has been encouraging masks all along stopping only short of mandating them, I totally expect Kemp and Trump to eat crow on their mask agendas. We need mandates. NOW. Kemp blocking local mandates was a bad move. Trump visibly shunning masks while we need to be encouraging masks is a bad move. Plenty of legitimate criticisms without stopping to the disingenuous "ZOMG! Trump broke Atlanta's laws" criticism. That was my original point.
Was that a back flip with a double twist?

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Was that a back flip with a double twist?
No. It's calling out the usual incorrect assumptions and restating my position. This has been my position all along and it's been on full public display in the OT Coronavirus thread. The assumptions here when anyone says anything about taking criticism too far speaks volumes. ...and it happens every single time.

You can look back to January where I was telling Zinfamous and others where to buy N95 masks and @Amused was telling everyone to "STOP. BUYING. MASKS." and responding with vitriol when I would argue against him.

Kemp has been good about being seen wearing his mask in public and encouraging others to wear them up until he blocked local mandates. I had already stated my opposition to that move in the OT thread before ever participating in this one. No "backflip." Check yourself of you don't believe me.