Gov. Christie's pension issue: N.J. probe looks at running mate, double-dipping

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
I can't BELIEVE a Republican would be double dipping....I thought it was only the Democrats who wanted free entitlements?????

/discuss

http://openchannel.msnbc.msn.com/_n...nj-probe-looks-at-running-mate-double-dipping

Nah - Democrats are just much better at gaming the system for free entitlements :p

Democratic State Sen. Fred Madden is a "triple-dipper" who collects more than $241,000 a year from public coffers — $49,000 as a legislator, $106,983 as a police academy dean and an $85,272 pension as a State Police retiree.

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005
Thanks Obama. If Ron Paul were president, he would have fired every one of those government workers and replaced them with someone cheaper.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
Republicans double dip all the time. The difference is the entitlements are not free, you have to work to get them. It is still the dems who want the entitlements without having to work to get them.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
I, for one, am stunned that politicians failed to end a practice that allowed themselves to collect 2-3 salaries while barely doing 1 job.

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
Meh, from the looks of it, Christie has been okay with double dipping for a while now. :sneaky:

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Thanks Obama. If Ron Paul were president, he would have fired every one of those government workers and replaced them with someone cheaper.

It's true, Ron Paul would have somehow used federal powers to fire New Jersey's deputy chief of staff. He would also have probably fired his own chief of staff. Since Ron Paul's legislative legacy is one of complete ineffectiveness, he probably doesn't need staff anyway.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
Great, they should retroactively make it illegal and then stop paying all public union retirees the greater of their pensions. I'd support it, but the OP sure wouldn't.

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
Great, they should retroactively make it illegal and then stop paying all public union retirees the greater of their pensions. I'd support it, but the OP sure wouldn't.

Only if you weren't a "righty"......

the DRIZZLE

Platinum Member
Sep 6, 2007
Pension double dipping has been a huge problem in NJ for a long time now. I believe Christie has tried to fix some of the these issues over the past few years.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
Give Christie long enough in office and he'll be able to put an end to some of the more egregious public union pension scandals.
Give Gov. Walker more time in Wis. and he'll do the same, that's why the unions are so pissed off.

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Republicans double dip all the time. The difference is the entitlements are not free, you have to work to get them. It is still the dems who want the entitlements without having to work to get them.

When was my SS or Medicare free? I've been paying for them 30+ years but the assholes on the Right treat it like I am getting a freebie?

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
Give Gov. Walker more time in Wis. and he'll do the same, that's why the unions are so pissed off.

The problem with what Walker did is that he didn't remove collective bargaining from all public unions. For some less-than-difficult-to-figure-out reason, he exempted police, firefighter, and state trooper unions from the changes.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
The problem with what Walker did is that he didn't remove collective bargaining from all public unions. For some less-than-difficult-to-figure-out reason, he exempted police, firefighter, and state trooper unions from the changes.

Political reality met political opportunity. He had a chance to make some changes and he took it. Maybe in a few years he'll be able to extend them.

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

That's because they WERE backing him...notice the bolded word is in the past tense. ;)

Last edited:

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005

While I would have liked to see them removed from all public unions, the reality is that it wasn't going to happen. He took a step in the right direction, hopefully in the future the remaining steps can be taken.

zsdersw

Lifer
Oct 29, 2003
While I would have liked to see them removed from all public unions, the reality is that it wasn't going to happen. He took a step in the right direction, hopefully in the future the remaining steps can be taken.

Why not? If you're going to do it, do it right the first time.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999

What we really need is a few steps more in that direction, everybody works for the state and all jobs pay nothing.